Looks like this is how the rotation shakes out

interloper

24 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Have they stated definitively anywhere that they're going with a 5 man rotation? I think maybe they have, but if not, this is the type of group it might make sense to go 6 man rotation with, at least to start the year. 

Why not pitch the five best guys? What would 6 starters do to the bullpen? Both Wells and Gibson have options and can pitch out of the bullpen so I don't see what that accomplishes other than fewer starts for our best guys.

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

TINSTAAPP!

What in the world does Grayson Rodriguez have to prove in AAA? Let me answer my own question: Nothing.

He needs to start every 5th day at the MLB level. He needs to learn how to get himself right, at the major league level. If he pitches poorly he needs to figure out how to correct his flaws, at the major league level. His secondary pitches either work at the major league level or they don't. 

Give this kid the ball every 5th day and see what you got. Dick dancing around with him is going to stunt his growth. If he's healthy it's time to let him pitch.

I hope Elias prioritize winning over whether Grayson begins the season in the majors.    If it is judged that Wells gives the O's a better chance to win then Grayson should be optioned IMO.   If it takes Grayson 3 or 4 starts  at AAA to get his stuff working at a high level then that is what I think should happen. When Grayson was pitching at his best before the injury last year he had his breaking stuff working.

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

TINSTAAPP!

What in the world does Grayson Rodriguez have to prove in AAA? Let me answer my own question: Nothing.

He needs to start every 5th day at the MLB level. He needs to learn how to get himself right, at the major league level. If he pitches poorly he needs to figure out how to correct his flaws, at the major league level. His secondary pitches either work at the major league level or they don't. 

Give this kid the ball every 5th day and see what you got. Dick dancing around with him is going to stunt his growth. If he's healthy it's time to let him pitch.

It's not a matter.of proving anything. Right now he is not pitching like one of our top five pitchers. He is better than this but hasn't looked right all spring. Also hasn't gone five innings yet (has he even gone 4?). Plus he is going to be innings restricted so there is no point in building him up for opening day.

45 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Why not pitch the five best guys? What would 6 starters do to the bullpen? Both Wells and Gibson have options and can pitch out of the bullpen so I don't see what that accomplishes other than fewer starts for our best guys.

I don't think it's easy to predict who our best guys are this season. I'm not convinced they should do a 6-man rotation, but if they did, I think the benefit is that you strike a balance of keeping Wells/Rodriguez both stretched out while keeping them in the majors, and increase rest a bit. Then revert to a 5-man when one member gets hurt or fails out. 

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

Have they stated definitively anywhere that they're going with a 5 man rotation? I think maybe they have, but if not, this is the type of group it might make sense to go 6 man rotation with, at least to start the year. 

Having a 6 man starting rotation with a guy who isn't going to go 5 innings puts extra stress on the bullpen.  I really wanted Grayson to be in the starting rotation on opening day, but something is not right.  He needs to go to Norfolk and get straightened out.  Losses in early April count the same as losses in September. 

45 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I don't think it's easy to predict who our best guys are this season. I'm not convinced they should do a 6-man rotation, but if they did, I think the benefit is that you strike a balance of keeping Wells/Rodriguez both stretched out while keeping them in the majors, and increase rest a bit. Then revert to a 5-man when one member gets hurt or fails out. 

I agree, it isn't an exact science, but I think you do the best you can and then if someone struggles they get replaced by whoever is pitching better. Going with 6 just feels like you can't make up your mind but that's what the coaches are paid to do. 

I haven’t seen him throw this spring, so my question here is based only on what the box scores seem to suggest, but Grayson has seemed to be very good for two or three innings before unraveling. Would it be unreasonable to start him in a bulk-relief role in order to give him the crucial experience most here agree he needs against MLB hitters? If he can give the big club three clean innings at a shot right now, does it matter all that much whether those are at the beginning or in the middle of the game? And, as he stretches out, move him into a swingman role until he’s ready to claim a spot as one of the best five? It wouldn’t allow for service-time games, but I know there are a lot of voices calling out against that anyway.

5 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Why does it matter where he is for development? It's not like he's a hitter who faces pitches in MLB that he wouldn't in AAA. His pitches do what they do, and you evaluate that. I'm sure the front office has tons of data telling them what pitches work at the major league level and what doesn't.

If his pitches are clearly better than the next candidate's, then he should be in the rotation. If they aren't, I imagine the service time game will be played and hopefully he can figure out his command issues in a few weeks.

8 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Why does it matter where he is for development? It's not like he's a hitter who faces pitches in MLB that he wouldn't in AAA. His pitches do what they do, and you evaluate that. I'm sure the front office has tons of data telling them what pitches work at the major league level and what doesn't.

If his pitches are clearly better than the next candidate's, then he should be in the rotation. If they aren't, I imagine the service time game will be played and hopefully he can figure out his command issues in a few weeks.

Oh I think it definitely matters and think there's a lot of data to back that up. But I think there's a lot of posters who are better equipped than I am to explain why. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

If he's not good enough to crack this rotation than it's a stretch to think that the extra year of team control will be worth anything.

He's the most talented pitcher in the organization and he should be in the majors.  Twenty innings of spring training doesn't change that.  He's on the 40.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he's not good enough to crack this rotation than it's a stretch to think that the extra year of team control will be worth anything.

He's the most talented pitcher in the organization and he should be in the majors.  Twenty innings of spring training doesn't change that.  He's on the 40.

Holliday is the most talented SS in the organization.  Should he be in the major leagues?

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Holliday is the most talented SS in the organization.  Should he be in the major leagues?

I'm not sure I agree. Just off the top of my head I can point to both Gunnar and Ortiz as likely as talented as Holiday. And then you have the current reigning Fielding Bible award winner. I think your analogy is a bit flawed.

2 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I'm not sure I agree. Just off the top of my head I can point to both Gunnar and Ortiz as likely as talented as Holiday. And then you have the current reigning Fielding Bible award winner. I think your analogy is a bit flawed.

Oh they know, they just wanted to disagree with me.

The funny thing is I'm the guy that wanted to bring Gunnar up two years ago.

I'd 100% be fine with bringing Holiday up today if it included a 10 year (+) extension on favorable terms.