Cole Irvin 2023

Frobby

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

This team has a legitimate chance of making the playoffs.

I keep seeing statements similar to this.  What's legitimate?  That they have any chance at all... or something like a 50% chance?  If it's the first, fine, they are improving.  If it's the latter, I do not agree.  They're the 4th best team in their own division.  

57 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He was not signed either because Angelos did not give Elias the budget to sign him, or Elias' risk aversion to signing any large pitching contracts led him to one year deals and low risk/mid reward trades like Irvin. I still don't know the answer to that question, but there is no way you can tell me the Orioles would not be a better rotation with Bassitt.

I wanted Verlander on a similar deal to what he got.  Oops.  I would have like Bassitt too.  But there is always a third option on why we didn't sign him.  He preferred the other team.  Having said that, I like Gibson but would have like another, better signing, as well.

41 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I keep seeing statements similar to this.  What's legitimate?  That they have any chance at all... or something like a 50% chance?  If it's the first, fine, they are improving.  If it's the latter, I do not agree.  They're the 4th best team in their own division.  

They had a legitimate chance to make the playoffs last season going into the final couple weeks of the season, and this team has more talent than last season (and also more talent on the way from the minors). The rest of the division hasn't improved very much outside of the Rays being more healthy and the Jays having a slightly better offense. But for the Orioles, the more balanced schedule will/should easily cancel out any difficulties of facing AL East teams compared to last season.

So yes, the Orioles have a legitimate chance to make the playoffs based on logical deductions. I think it's more unreasonable to take the position that they don't have a good chance, or that it's not possible to tell one way or the other. If your stance is that you don't know, then questioning people who feel they have a legitimate chance to make the postseason doesn't really make for an interesting discussion. Especially if your only analysis is that they're in fourth place a little over 2 weeks into the season.

50 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Fangraphs has them at about 15%, which honestly seems a little low to me.

Prospectus has them at like 4%, which is laughable to me.

Personally, I'd put it at like 25%.

• Upvote 1

I'm a self proclaimed negative Nelly, but the 2022 team started out 4-9 in their first 13 games. Doesn't mean a whole lot but there's a plenty of time for things to change.

I think getting Bradish back along with Wells and Gibson gives them 3 decent starters. 

Irvin is obviously a better pitcher than what his first 3 starts have shown. He'll have ample opportunity to work things out in AAA. He's not a power pitcher so his command is everything.

Kremer could go either way. There were some underlying metrics that suggested regression for him. 

Rodriguez is the key for success in '23 in my opinion. If he can start figuring things out, then yes, they have the potential to go on a run and see a playoff spot.

None of this is taking into account any trades and promotions of better players from the system. So I guess I'm optimistic but I'm going to complain my fair share when they look like crap.

2 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Here's something no  one is talking about. The 2 guys that created the Dong Bong and failed to run it by the manager before it's unveiling, just got shipped out off the team for now. Coincidence? Or disciplinary reprimand? Or maybe... both. 🤔

I thought Adley had a hand in it.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I thought Adley had a hand in it.

It was Cole Irvin and Keegan Akin. Irvin was just optioned to the minor leagues. Akin was just put on parental leave for the expected birth of his child. (To put his in terms like a principal/daycare/school teacher would view the team as their class/group)... Seems to me like both Performance and Child Birth could just be an easy excusable way to remove the problem children from the group.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It was Cole Irvin and Keegan Akin. Irvin was just optioned to the minor leagues. Akin was just put on parental leave for the expected birth of his child. (To put his in terms like a principal/daycare/school teacher would view the team as their class/group)... Seems to me like both Performance and Child Birth could just be an easy excusable way to remove the problem children from the group.

That's tin foil stuff.  Keegan Akin going on paternity leave isn't a form of punishment, and if it was, the Union would file a grievance before Akin had reached the airport.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Hyde on the pregame show said they still expect Irvin to be a big part of the rotation going forward.

I'm not ready to throw the towel in on him yet. He wasn't missing by a huge margin where he was throwing. It's just that a few inches here and there can really do some damage. (Just ask your girlfriend. Baddumcha).  He's got to keep the ball inside the park and start inducing more ground balls. All that will come with an adjustment to his mechanics to get both spin rate/movement and command. 

We just can't hang the baseball out iver the plate anymore. Mlb hitters are killing us with the hanging breaking balls and other pitches right down the middle.

11 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Hyde on the pregame show said they still expect Irvin to be a big part of the rotation going forward.

Again, politically correct.  What would you expect him to say?  That the O's question his ability as a major leaguer??  I have to say, if Grod, Bradish and Wells all do well in their starts, and Kremer gets his act together, then with Hudson in the mix, who would you take out for Irvin??  A lefty for the sake of a lefty in the rotation does nothing if the lefty can't get major league hitters out.

General question here, not directed at the post quoted above, but if Wells and the rest of the guys are effective or even decent in the coming weeks, does Cole Irvin even get a chance?  Would we move Wells back to the pen to get Irvin back in the rotation?  I'm not sure I would agree with that....

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Again, politically correct.  What would you expect him to say?  That the O's question his ability as a major leaguer??  I have to say, if Grod, Bradish and Wells all do well in their starts, and Kremer gets his act together, then with Hudson in the mix, who would you take out for Irvin??  A lefty for the sake of a lefty in the rotation does nothing if the lefty can't get major league hitters out.

General question here, not directed at the post quoted above, but if Wells and the rest of the guys are effective or even decent in the coming weeks, does Cole Irvin even get a chance?  Would we move Wells back to the pen to get Irvin back in the rotation?  I'm not sure I would agree with that....

Agree with all of the above.  If all 5 current staters perform AND the bullpen settles down I think Irvin might have to pitch out of the bullpen when he comes back.

If the bullpen is still in turmoil then the chances of Wells to the bullpen become greater.  Wells has been good especially relative to other Orioles starters but he hasn’t been lights out.  6 IP 4 runs. 5.1 IP 3 runs.

11 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

With injuries and ineffectiveness, there’s always going to be chances to get back to the rotation. Especially, with one as young as this rotation.