Rotation: Burnes, Rodriguez, Kremer, Wells, Irvin
Bullpen: Kimbrel, Cano, Coulombe, Perez, Tate, Baumann, Akin, Teheran
Catcher: Rutschman, McCann
Infield: Mountcastle, O'Hearn, Holliday, Henderson, Westburg, Urias
Outfield: Hays, Mullins, Santander, Cowser, Mateo

Traded/DFA: McKenna, Webb
Optioned: Stowers, Mayo, Kjerstad, Norby

Webb makes the team.  JT makes it too.

That gives us one spot to rotate through arms that have options.  Tate gets the first crack.  The bullpen up/down option arms include Akin, Vespi, Ort, and Krook.  The starters too like Zimmerman, Povich, Mcdermott, and Heasley.  

Don't be surprised though if Elias picks up an arm or two with the open 40 man spots at the end of ST.  With or without options.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Webb makes the team.  JT makes it too.

That gives us one spot to rotate through arms that have options.  Tate gets the first crack.  The rotation option arms include Akin, Vespi, Ort, and Krook.  The starters too like Zimmerman, Povich, Mcdermott, and Heasley.  

Don't be surprised though if Elias picks up an arm or two with the open 40 man spots at the end of ST.  With or without options.  

Who are you subbing out for Webb in my prediction, Akin? Judging by Hyde's glowing praise, Akin feels like a lock to me. 

I really like this roster.  Maybe we bat Holliday 8th and Mullins 1st.  But we know where we end up...  Holliday.

Elias did a really nice job playing the waiver wire game with picking up Ort and Krook.  Adding JT was a nice little pickup too.  He's not done yet either.

The lineup has flexibility, L/R versatility, power, speed, and defense.  

The rotation is the weak part, which in turns weakens the bullpen.  We are who we are at this point.  Lets go win some games.    

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Who are you subbing out for Webb in my prediction, Akin? Judging by Hyde's glowing praise, Akin feels like a lock to me. 

Akin could beat out Tate to start out.  But Webb makes it.  

Moves

- McKenna, Nevin, and Maton are DFA’d

- Bradish and Means are transferred to the 60 day IL.  (Retro 2/14)

- Holliday and JT added to the 26 and 40 man.

The 40 man roster will be at 37. Gives Elias room to claim 3 guys.  Probably a reliever that is out of options and a guy that can play CF that has an option.

(5) Burnes, GR, Kremer, Irvin, Wells

(8) Kimbrel, Cano, Coloumbe, Perez, Webb, Baumann, JT, Tate

9 LU

1. Mullins CF L (Edit)

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar 3B L

4. Santa RF S

5. Mounty 1B R

6. O’Hearn DH L

7. Hays LF R

8. Holliday 2B L (Edit)

9. Westburg 3B R

(4) Bench - McCann, Mateo, Urias, Cowser

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Akin could beat out Tate to start out.  But Webb makes it.  

Moves

- McKenna, Nevin, and Maton are DFA’d

- Bradish and Means are transferred to the 60 day IL.  (Retro 2/14)

- Holliday and JT added to the 26 and 40 man.

The 40 man roster will be at 37. Gives Elias room to claim 3 guys.  Probably a reliever that is out of options and a guy that can play CF that has an option.

(5) Burnes, GR, Kremer, Irvin, Wells

(8) Kimbrel, Cano, Coloumbe, Perez, Webb, Baumann, JT, Tate

9 LU

1. Mullins CF L (Edit)

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar 3B L

4. Santa RF S

5. Mounty 1B R

6. O’Hearn DH L

7. Hays LF R

8. Holliday 2B L (Edit)

9. Westburg 3B R

(4) Bench - McCann, Mateo, Urias, Cowser

Sounds like we have the same roster other than Webb. I don't think Means will need to go on the 60, though. He's back by the end of April probably. 

FYI, the 60 day IL time clock starts on opening day. No backdating. Therefore anyone put on this list stays on until the end of May. Therefore, I don't expect Means to be put on this list.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sounds like we have the same roster other than Webb. I don't think Means will need to go on the 60, though. He's back by the end of April probably. 

Pretty much.  Why get rid of Webb so early on in the season even if you don't like him?  Tate or Akin rotate in for the first week.  The bottom spots of the pen don't matter so much on OD.

Means should go on the 60 day IL.  Why not?  It'd be retro'd to 2/14 and he'd be eligible to return 4/14.  He can even rehab for 30 days while on the 60 day IL.  The only reason it hasn't happened yet, is because Elias hasn't needed that 40 man spot.  

I would not be surprised if Elias grabs a reliever they like ala Coloumbe and sees what they have to start out the season.  The bullpen would then be Kimbrel, Cano, Coloumbe, Perez, Webb, Baumann, JT, and waiver dude.  Neither Tate nor Akin "make it" but will be heavily involved this season.  

Elias has made a trade involving relievers in each of the last two years right before OD.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Pretty much.  Why get rid of Webb so early on in the season even if you don't like him?  Tate or Akin rotate in for the first week.  The bottom spots of the pen don't matter so much on OD.

Means should go on the 60 day IL.  Why not?  It'd be retro'd to 2/14 and he'd be eligible to return 4/14.  He can even rehab for 30 days while on the 60 day IL.  The only reason it hasn't happened yet, is because Elias hasn't needed that 40 man spot.  

I would not be surprised if Elias grabs a reliever they like ala Coloumbe and sees what they have to start out the season.  The bullpen would then be Kimbrel, Cano, Coloumbe, Perez, Webb, Baumann, JT, and waiver dude.  Neither Tate nor Akin "make it" but will be heavily involved this season.  

Elias has made a trade involving relievers in each of the last two years right before OD.  

Does our pen really need another waiver claim type with no options? Out of the pen you mentioned, only Cano has an option, which is highly unlikely to be used.

Last spring training I had a pretty good idea who the dark horse players were that would make the roster. I even posted in Orioles podcast videos that Gillespie would make the roster out of ST and he did. 

This season I am not confident in any of the undecided roster spots on who will be chosen. There are just so many good options and the competition among players in spring training is very good.

Stowers has had a great Spring. Don't know if he goes north. Would love to see Holliday and Mayo make the Team but like has been said, the competition is tight. Won't be long before we know.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You can't retro the 60-day IL. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Agree.  Here’s what Hyde said:

“It’s a huge difference,” Hyde said.

“He had the back injury and pretty much shut him down for the rest of the year. To see him healthy right now, to see the way he’s throwing the baseball, this is the best I’ve seen him, honestly. The way he can keep his velocity, how quick his arm is. The secondary stuff has really, really improved. He’s had a really good camp, and he’s in great shape. This is the best he’s looked for me. He did a great job this offseason getting healthy, getting right, preparing for the season. He's really performed well this spring.”

“That’s the biggest thing with Keegan is, one, you can throw him against lefties and righties, and he’s gone multiple innings in the past, he’s been a starter in the past. A guy you feel comfortable with pitching, really, in any sort of situation. Especially the way he’s throwing the ball right now.”

That was before his last outing where he struck out 2 of the 3 batters he faced to close out a win.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/mateo

i can attest that Akin does look to be in the best shape of his life, and is just pounding the strike zone, while releasing his pitches about 8-9 seconds before the clock expires.

• Upvote 2

I've never been an Akin fan and I've been assuming his first half of 2022 was a typical fluky hot streak that so many AAAA arms seem to produce once and then never replicate. 

His spring results are excellent and if he can get back to that guy, that's an important step in covering the bullpen holes left by Irvin, Wells, and Hall. 

32 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I've never been an Akin fan and I've been assuming his first half of 2022 was a typical fluky hot streak that so many AAAA arms seem to produce once and then never replicate. 

His spring results are excellent and if he can get back to that guy, that's an important step in covering the bullpen holes left by Irvin, Wells, and Hall. 

... especially Hall. And, as a lefty, insurance for C. Perez's cold spells.