Predict the 26

seak05

With just over a week until Opening Day, who makes the final MLB roster? 

Safe = 18:

SP: Gibson, Ivin, Bradish, Kremer

RP: Bautista, Baker, Perez, Akin

IF: Mateo, Mountcastle, Urias, Henderson, Frazier, Rutschmann, McCann

OF: Santander, Mullins, Hays

Prediction:

SP: Rodriguez

RP: Wells, Voth (especially with Givens injured, I think these two are definitely on the roster), Bauman, Politi

IF: Vavra

OF: McKenna, Stowers

Is Givens' injury a known thing? I thought the quote was that his knee was sore but hoping to go?

I don't think Baumann makes it. Tough choice between Voth and Politi but I'd go with the guy we'd lose and option the other. Krehbiel could make it but I'd also rather option him and keep Politi.

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Is Givens' injury a known thing? I thought the quote was that his knee was sore but hoping to go?

I don't think Baumann makes it. Tough choice between Voth and Politi but I'd go with the guy we'd lose and option the other. Krehbiel could make it but I'd also rather option him and keep Politi.

Neither  Voth nor Politi can be optioned.

Edited by wildcard

Bench: Urias/Mateo, McCann, McKenna, Cordero (but could definitely be Vavra over Cordero)

Bullpen: Bautista, Baker, Perez, Akin, Voth, Politi, Khrebiel, Hall (until stretched out to SP innings; having him on OD roster keeps him eligible for ROY draft comp) 

Givens on the IL, if he is healthy then Khrebiel is optioned. 

Wells and Watkins remained stretched out as SP depth at AAA. Wells get an extra year of service time back by staying down a couple weeks; he’ll be back on the MLB roster as a SP or RP in some capacity depending on need and what they think of his future chances as a SP. 

Baumann probably the next man up for the pen, but he could still use more time getting used to the short RP role and I think they defer to Khrebiel initially based on his role last year.

C : Rutschman and McCann (obviously)

INF: Mountcastle, Frazier, Urias, Mateo, Henderson

OF: Stowers, Santander, Mullins, Hays, McKenna

UTL: Terrin Vavra

SP: Gibson, Bradish, Irvin, Kremer, G-Rod

RP: Bautista, Perez, Givens, Akin, Baker, Voth, Politi, Wells

If Givens is on the IL, then it's probably Khrebiel, but maybe Baumann. 

• Upvote 1

It doesn't really matter.  If MLB had some silly rule about being only able to use the 26 guys you have on Opening Day for the entire season then this becomes a big topic.  But they start roster shuffling and sending guys up and down after the first or second series.  

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

C : Rutschman and McCann (obviously)

INF: Mountcastle, Frazier, Urias, Mateo, Henderson

OF: Stowers, Santander, Mullins, Hays, McKenna

UTL: Terrin Vavra

SP: Gibson, Bradish, Irvin, Kremer, G-Rod

RP: Bautista, Perez, Givens, Akin, Baker, Voth, Politi, Wells

If Givens is on the IL, then it's probably Khrebiel, but maybe Baumann. 

That said, this is probably as good of a guess as anyone can make.

I will say that this is the first time in a long time where I expect the majority of the OD guys to be on the roster at Game 162.  Seems like the last few years there's been the chance that you could have a completely different Game 162 roster than you did on Opening Day because most everyone was expendable.

So that's a nice change.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It doesn't really matter.  If MLB had some silly rule about being only able to use the 26 guys you have on Opening Day for the entire season then this becomes a big topic.  But they start roster shuffling and sending guys up and down after the first or second series.  

That said, this is probably as good of a guess as anyone can make.

I will say that this is the first time in a long time where I expect the majority of the OD guys to be on the roster at Game 162.  Seems like the last few years there's been the chance that you could have a completely different Game 162 roster than you did on Opening Day because most everyone was expendable.

So that's a nice change.

This was in the Banner:

Last year, Kelvin Gutiérrez started at third base on opening day; he only played 12 games for the Orioles before he was optioned and later released.

• Upvote 2

Unpopular take but I bet Rodriguez starts off at AAA.  Both Watkins and Voth are set up to take his place in the rotation. This would allow Rodriguez to have shortened starts for a bit while not taxing the Baltimore bullpen. He hasn’t exactly been dominant either. 

1 minute ago, oriole said:

Unpopular take but I bet Rodriguez starts off at AAA.  Both Watkins and Voth are set up to take his place in the rotation. This would allow Rodriguez to have shortened starts for a bit while not taxing the Baltimore bullpen. He hasn’t exactly been dominant either. 

You spelled attempt to game his service time wrong.

• 11 months later...

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The opening day roster doesn’t mean anything.   They start the shuttle between Norfolk/Bowie and Baltimore after the first or second series of the season, whoever starts on the roster on opening day doesn’t matter. 

I will say I don’t think Holliday makes it, but whatever. He’ll be up soon enough. Most everyone that’s received long looks in ST will make an appearance in Baltimore at some point or another. 

• Upvote 3