Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

4 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

This is basically where I'm at.  At 31, Frazier's best days are probably behind him.  But he is most definitely an upgrade over Odor, and that's his value.  It's just a value we didn't need to pay for to acquire.   On the O's hierarchy of needs, we should have put the money toward a decent starting pitcher.  

But we have "decent" starting pitchers, and Frazier is having a pretty solid season.  Urias has also been hurt.  As of right now, the Frazier signing looks decent/good.  Heck, he's batting 5th.  And nobody is really pushing him.  

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But we have "decent" starting pitchers, and Frazier is having a pretty solid season.  Urias has also been hurt.  As of right now, the Frazier signing looks decent/good.  Heck, he's batting 5th.  And nobody is really pushing him.  

If you think we have adequate starting pitching then we are at fundamentally different places.  I think yours is a minority opinion. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yes, we do have "decent" SPs, some may improve as the season progresses, some will not. Not too much promising on the horizon unless you believe post-TJ Means or are WC doing Hall-dreaming. The point that "nobody is really pushing him" is due to ME's roster management. You have made multiple references to Super 2 if I remember correctly. IMHO, ME is going to do EVERYTHING he can to maximize control over Cowser, Westburg, Ortiz, and then Kjerstad, Beavers, Wagner, Fabian, etc It is in his DNA.

14 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Yes, we do have "decent" SPs, some may improve as the season progresses, some will not. Not too much promising on the horizon unless you believe post-TJ Means or are WC doing Hall-dreaming. The point that "nobody is really pushing him" is due to ME's roster management. You have made multiple references to Super 2 if I remember correctly. IMHO, ME is going to do EVERYTHING he can to maximize control over Cowser, Westburg, Ortiz, and then Kjerstad, Beavers, Wagner, Fabian, etc It is in his DNA.

I don't know what is in Mike Elias DNA or not, but his team is 31-16 so maybe it is success.  You can complain about him holding players back because of future control if they are doing what they are doing in the minors  and the major league is struggling and he refuses to promote them because of Super 2.  You can't right now.  He has a winning major league team and he gets to keep those players for longer to either trade them or sign them a little more in the future.  That to me is having the best of both worlds.  The current club is winning and the future further down the road is stronger.  The Super 2 control stuff is collectively bargined.  This is the system both sides agreed to.  I don't blame the players for signing for the highest dollars they can and I don't blame management for getting the maximum value from each player.

• Upvote 1

Let's all acknowledge that some of the waiver claims and rule 5 draft picks that Mike Elias's team has added to this franchise, has actually become core players impactful the turnaround of the Orioles rebuild. Santander, Tyler Wells, Cionel Perez, Mateo, Urias... All of these guys have been pivotal to the success of the Oriole's turnaround last season. And I'm probably forgetting to name a few players here.

The Orioles have a melting pot of waiver claim diamonds in the rough, rule 5 picks, as well as their amateur draft pick selections and International Free Agents that they have been devolving in the farm system.

In 2023, Adam Frazier has been a part of the success in having the best record in baseball. And whether you agree with his signing or his salary, I don't think there is any denying his contributions. We should just sit back and enjoy all the success of winning, and let the Pro's do their thing.

4 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I don't know what is in Mike Elias DNA or not, but his team is 31-16 so maybe it is success.  You can complain about him holding players back because of future control if they are doing what they are doing in the minors  and the major league is struggling and he refuses to promote them because of Super 2.  You can't right now.  He has a winning major league team and he gets to keep those players for longer to either trade them or sign them a little more in the future.  That to me is having the best of both worlds.  The current club is winning and the future further down the road is stronger.  The Super 2 control stuff is collectively bargined.  This is the system both sides agreed to.  I don't blame the players for signing for the highest dollars they can and I don't blame management for getting the maximum value from each player.

OK, first, I'm not C_o_C (did I get that right?) on the Super 2 manipulation bandwagon, my comment was from the perspective of a draft-first guy maximizing player control, I am NOT complaining. ME doesn't know yet what he has in the pipeline and he will be cautious before he moves ay of them. We don't know what financial constraints JA has placed on ME, the failed "lift off" last offseason cab be explained away several ways. I was reacting to Brobinson and Sportsfan 8703 comments about "adequate" pitching and "nobody pushing Frazier". Me is gong to delay as long as possible before he moves any pieces, Sig-bot will dictate who.

Just now, Frobby said:

Another slightly below replacement game from Frazier today.  His OPS is up to .765.   Westburg probably would have hit a grand slam today instead of z Frazier’s 3-run homer.  😎

I find this post to be your typical hyper emotional gloating!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1