Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

7 hours ago, baltfan said:

Who said that some pitchers don't have the "clutch switch" as you put it?  But some pitchers definitely don't.  For example, it looks quite possible that Fuji's performance is affected by clutch situations.  The default is likely that both pitchers and hitters have more nerves and are more likely to not execute as well as they would.  Those pitchers and hitters that happen to be able to control their nerves so that they are the same as with no one on base; therefore, they have an advantage that those that get nervous don't.  So a clutch pitcher would be one that isn't affected by the situation who can take advantage of a batter who is affected by it so they do things like expand the zone or overswing.  

Again, no one knows exactly why some small subset of players is better in the clutch.  This is just one possibility.  

You kind of did. " In higher leverage situations they stay cool but the pitcher doesn’t."

Just now, ledzepp8 said:

You kind of did. " In higher leverage situations they stay cool but the pitcher doesn’t."

No, you aren’t reading carefully.  I am trying to explain how a hitter whose physical skills don’t change might hit better in the clutch.  I was explaining that with most people pressure results in nerves which can affect performance.  Some people are more immune to that so their performance will not degrade but they get to take advantage of the pitcher whose performance is likely to degrade. Sometimes you will just get clutch v clutch though.  Again though, this is but one explaination.  Another could be that selective hitters are more able to get better pitches because pressure causes command issues. Another could be a hitter who only really hits mistakes well and mistakes are more common in clutch situations.  I don’t pretend to know exactly why some are clutch, but it does exist.  To be clear, Frazier could just be having a freak season this year though.  It’s not like I don’t believe in SSS.  

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What exactly is this?

Spice.  LOL.

Gunnar as the SS technically has the right to every ball, but clearly Frazier didn't like him taking command there when he was camped under it and said something probably along the lines of back the f up off of me.

I think part of it was Frazier's struggle with the sun there.

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It was something I noticed in real time too.    It made me think of the coach who gave a quote out recently about how Gunnar's enjoying SS because he's like Clifford the Big Red Dog and can just go chase.

I don't think Frazier's a dog person.

He upstages his team mates once too often he may end up in the dog HOUSE.

2 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

It's not what ya say, but oft how ya say it that gets your ass in a sling. Frazier said it well. I got the message miles away and smiled! Me thinks Gunner did too. Man I love this team!!!!!!!!!

I didn’t see Gunnar smile. He looked a little pissed.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That’s what it looked like.  Maybe they both were but Gunnar for sure.

That one is Gunnar’s fault. When do you ever see a SS on the 2nd base side of the bag like that?  Gunnar is young, but he needed that. I’m sure all is good in the clubhouse. Calm down Gunnar. 

• Upvote 2