Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

9 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

No, I find it amusing. I love this place. I don't meet cynical characters like this in real life. This is quite the unique place for Os fans.

Probably wouldn't be much of an attraction if everyone just came here to agree... would it?

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, I think if he continues to hit .150 for another 30 days, things will probably start to change.  

You and I have had our squabbles about Frazier’s value over the entire season to date, but anyone can see that he’s hit very poorly over the last 30 days.  It’s undeniable, and if it continues for a long while, eventually Frazier’s playing time will get cut.  

I think in general, managers and front offices tolerate 30 day slumps and give their established players opportunities to bounce back.  If the slump persists 60 days or longer, at some point it’s not a slump and changes get made, especially when possibly better alternatives are available.   

In Frazier’s case, I think there’s been a degree of bad luck in his slump.  He has a .177 BABIP over the last 30 days.  But some other trends are evident.  For one thing, he’s stopped walking, with only 3 BB in 88 PA in that 30 day window.  By contrast, even when he was at his previous low point (on May 14), he had walked 17 times in 132 PA and had a 100 point spread between his low BA and his quite decent OBP.   

So in summary, I think the O’s will give Frazier several more weeks to get things turned around, and there’s a decent chance that he will, if he shows a bit more patience at the plate and has a little better batted ball luck than he’s had the last 30 days.   But if he doesn’t turn it around pretty soon, it’s definitely possible he could lose his starting spot.  

This.  For the most part only the games 10-20 best hitters stay consistent over the course of the year, and even then the best have slumps.

Yet, there seems to be some desire for a roster where every player meets that criteria and the fact is that's just not how it happens.

Frobby hit it on the head here that short (1 month) slumps are expected.  Executives, coaches, they already know that and maybe they ramp back a little on starts but they always understand you have to get guys ABs or they never get out of that slump.  And you hope that the cycles among your players don't sync up and lead to long term losing streaks - which they haven't here - but see Pittsburgh.

If a slump persists then maybe there's a change, or a roster shake up (again see PGH calling up Henry Davis).  But as long as the Orioles are maintaining a winning record I see no need to panic and make changes because you think the grass may be greener with a prospect who has never seen MLB pitching.

Edited by Camden_yardbird
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

No, I find it amusing. I love this place. I don't meet cynical characters like this in real life. This is quite the unique place for Os fans.

It’s definitely been hilarious, but it is starting to get a little old. The fact that we have 50 pages of people complaining about Frazier is ridiculous. People just keep beating a dead horse. I would think we all get it at this point. No one likes the signing. It’s not like anyone was super jazzed about Frazier when we signed him, but it definitely doesn’t deserve the amount of complaining it’s caused. Do we really need to cry about the same things over and over again?

Edited by RarityFlaherty
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Its a lot different when the team is winning.   Changes don't need to happen until the team starts to lose.  There is a lot more rope given.   

I see..

You'd prefer to react to the impact of mistakes... than to anticipate them.

Seems a little short-sighted... but to each his own I guess.

3 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

It’s definitely been hilarious, but it is starting to get a little old. The fact that we have 50 pages of people complaining about Frazier is ridiculous. People just keep beating a dead horse. I would think we all get it at this point. No one likes the signing. It’s not like anyone was super jazzed about Frazier when we signed him, but it definitely doesn’t deserve the amount of complaining it’s caused. Do we really need to cry about the same things over and over again?

I really didn't notice anyone crying.

I saw people postulating potential alternatives, and justifying why they agree or disagree with the status quo.

In fact.. the only whining and griping on the thread seems to be coming from the people trying to shut down the discussion.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, owknows said:

Probably wouldn't be much of an attraction if everyone just came here to agree... would it?

I don't know. I wasn't here when we sucked. When were losing 110 plus games a year me and everybody else I knew who was Os fan thought it sucked. Nobody liked it when we blew. Now we are winning a lot of games. Everybody is happy. My dad is happy. My buddies are happy. I am happy. Win is good. Lose is bad. 

8 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

This!

24 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

This forum is full of overweight 50 year olds who have barely picked up a baseball in their life talking about they could draft, develop and field a team of winning baseball on a severe budget restriction. The level of delusion here is incredible. I love the Orioles. I watch them and I bleed orange, but I understand I'm not an expert GM. We are winning games. The ladies here will always cry no matter what. 

So you are calling posters "ladies" you are talking about players being out of shape.  You are making comments about chicks and folks dating super models. 

I think I'm glad I've never met you in real life.

You come off as a real piece of work.

Isn't there a 4chan forum missing their moderator? 

• Haha 1

Just now, owknows said:

I really didn't notice anyone crying.

I saw people postulating potential alternatives, and justifying why they agree or disagree with the status quo.

In fact.. the only whining and griping on the thread seems to be coming from the people trying to shut down the discussion.

Maybe it wouldn’t feel like crying if someone was actually bringing up something new. We’ve heard the same arguments for why we shouldn’t have signed Frazier over and over again. It all just sounds ridiculous at this point. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So you are calling posters "ladies" you are talking about players being out of shape.  You are making comments about chicks and folks dating super models. 

I think I'm glad I've never met you in real life.

You come off as a real piece of work.

Isn't there a 4chan forum missing their moderator? 

What is 4chan?

Just now, Mr-splash said:

I don't know. I wasn't here when we sucked. When were losing 110 plus games a year me and everybody else I knew who was Os fan thought it sucked. Nobody liked it when we blew. Now we are winning a lot of games. Everybody is happy. My dad is happy. My buddies are happy. I am happy. Win is good. Lose is bad. 

I was here when we sucked.

Believe me when I say that people can find reasons to disagree about why we sucked.

people can find reasons to disagree about how to get better...

people can find reasons to disagree about how we could win more when we're losing..

and people can find reasons to disagree about how to win more when we're winning.

And without things to disagree about... this would be a place where people come to make declarative statements... and the universal response would be "yes".

And while that might be good for the kumbaya types... it makes a pretty boring baseball forum.