Worst-ever regular season Orioles losses?

Frobby

3 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

I disagree, yesterday's was pretty bad. I can't remember losing the game thanks to a lazy pop up that wasn't caught. 

Because the Orioles didn't lose due to that. They lost due to a batting practice pitch thrown by their closer that was sent to the top of the Green Monster.

30 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

You’re right, the game was over when Bautista severed up the walk off dinger. 

It wasn't batting practice, it was a decent pitch. McKenna lost us the game; Duvall is hitting out of his mind right now.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Mother’s Day Massacre. Remember getting home in time just to watch the **** show. 

Obviously not a heartbreaker, but 30-3. 

I remember going out the night of the 30-3 game when the O’s were up 3-0. Came home later that night and thought the final score was a misprint.

After checking a few more websites reality sunk in. 

I don't think yesterday will go down as even near the top of the worst regular season losses ever.  We had the 82 final game, that dumb fog game against the Yankees in 89, the two losses to Toronto in 89, the loss to New York in 96 in extra innings when we had the bases loaded in a tie game and a 3-0 count on Brady and still lost, the 05 walk off to David Ortiz which literally changed the course of that entire season, and the Mother's Day crap that I never want to think about again.

What yesterday will go down as (in my memory at least) is the absolute stupidest regular season loss I can remember.  This wasn't a case of our pitcher losing control, an error on a tough ground ball, a bad umpire call, or anything that even involved a professional player from the other team keeping things alive with a good hit.  This was as easy a baseball play as you will ever see and one that required the bare minimum of major league talent to make.  So sure was MASN that the game was over that they flashed END OF 9TH on the score box, with 8 - 7 Os.  

I will definitely remember this loss, but mainly because of how stupid it was.  

Worst game ever? It's up there, but hopefully it'll be a moot point in September.

I was really dismayed by the outfield play Thursday and Saturday. Yea, it was windy.. but damn!

Santander, Mullins, and Hays did not look like the best of the best (especially Hays on that Duvall pop fly). I hardly got to see any of today's game, but I hope it was an improvement.

1 hour ago, Drifter said:

Worst game ever? It's up there, but hopefully it'll be a moot point in September.

I was really dismayed by the outfield play Thursday and Saturday. Yea, it was windy.. but damn!

Santander, Mullins, and Hays did not look like the best of the best (especially Hays on that Duvall pop fly). I hardly got to see any of today's game, but I hope it was an improvement.

nope

I remember kind of rooting for Texas after a certain point in 30-3 because I felt like the more we got absolutely embarrassed on the field, the sooner some change would be enacted. Kind of like... this is the crappy team you put together, this is the kind of loss the organization deserves. 

On 4/2/2023 at 11:05 AM, Frobby said:

That disgusting loss yesterday certainly ranks high on my list of the worst regular season losses ever for the Orioles.

In any season, there are likely to be a few walk-off losses, including a couple involving blowing a lead in the 9th.  So that by itself isn’t enough to get it on the epic loss list.   There have to be other elements.   Yesterday ranks up there because we blew a 6-run lead, had the win in McKenna’s glove, and lost on a homer that was an inch away from being a double, with 2 outs in the 9th and the lead.  

So at the risk of getting masochistic, what other regular season losses really stand out in your mind?   For me, there were two, both coming in 2007.

1.  The Mothers Day Massacre.  Leading 5-0 in the 9th, the Orioles pulled Jeremy Guthrie with one out after a dropped pop fly by the catcher, only to see Danys Baez and Chris Ray cough up 5 hits and 3 walks and allow 6 runs to score, the last two on a grounder where Ray missed a relay throw covering 1B.

2.  April 7, 2007.  Leading the Yankees 7-3 in the 8th, the O’s allowed 3 in the 8th,  then got the first two outs to start the 9th.  But then the Yankees loaded loaded the bases, and on a 1-2 pitch, ARod hit a grand slam to walk it off 10-7 for the Yankees.  It was the Yankees, it was ARod, it was blowing a 4-run lead late, and I hated it.  

What’s on your personal list?   

I couldn't think of 2 more painful losses than this. The second one, I shattered my remote aginast the wall when A-Rod made contact. I could just feel it coming.

Don't quite recall the exact circumstances of either game, but both of the games I'm about to poorly describe felt like they were in hand only to become walk-off wins for the Sox and Yankees. 

First one was nearly 20 years ago. Early-season afternoon game @ Boston where we led a close game all the way just for Papi to smash a 3-run HR (I believe) over the CF wall for the win. I was stuck in traffic on I-66 driving back to Fair Lakes from the Pentagon, to add insult to injury.

Second one was @ New York probably more like 10 years ago - just before Britton became completely unhitable and was still merely extremely good. Fairly certain he served up a 3-run job to Carlos Beltran (could have been the rain delay game others have mentioned in this thread, come to think of it) to walk it off. Felt like it happened very late at night, which is why it could have been that rain game. 

I'm sure we could find some other notable losses in that old "The Sting of Losing Winnable Games" thread if that's still around.

Edited by Sanfran327

59 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I couldn't think of 2 more painful losses than this. The second one, I shattered my remote aginast the wall when A-Rod made contact. I could just feel it coming.

I was driving on Route 50 with my wife and had a plastic bottle cap in my hand.  When ARod hit the homer, I flung the cap against the windshield as hard as I could and it ricocheted all around the car.  My wife looked at me like I was some kind of deranged person (understandably) and said, “are you okay to drive?”   I wasn’t, but I kept driving anyway.  

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

First one was nearly 20 years ago. Early-season afternoon game @ Boston where we led a close game all the way just for Papi to smash a 3-run HR (I believe) over the CF wall for the win. I was stuck in traffic on I-66 driving back to Fair Lakes from the Pentagon, to add insult to injury.

Pretty sure I remember this one.  BJ Ryan was the victim, back when he was having an excellent season as our closer.  I was driving my daughter somewhere and let out a scream that scared the crap out of her.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS200506020.shtml

Edited by Frobby