Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

3 hours ago, waroriole said:

At least Mateo gives you some benefit on the field. The Mateo problem should be solved after the Mountcastle problem and the Frazier problem. 

I don't see a Frazier problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I don't see a Frazier problem.

The entire infield is a problem, just pick one, two, three and replace them

Gunnar (3B) for Urias

Ortiz (SS) for Mateo

Westburg (2B) for Frazier

Hearn/Santander (1B) for Mountcastle

Cowser to RF

Mullins back for Hicks

Then we will be ready to rock and roll

• Upvote 1

Mateo hit the ball hard three times today, got an RBI, and was robbed of an XBH by a fine play by the KC CFer. Stole two bases at will and played his normal very good SS. If he heats up, what a boost to the bottom of the line-up and fan excitement it would be.

I’m as big of a supporter of Jorge as anyone but man, it’s difficult to watch him not compete in so many ABs. I haven’t advocated for Ortiz or Westburg yet but sheesh, I am getting there. 

I realize that they’re winning games and the urgency isn’t there to plug in someone else given Jorge’s premiere defense but Joey Ortiz has looked REALLY good in his limited opportunities this year. If Ortiz’s defense really is close to what Jorge does for the team, I think at some point they HAVE to make a move. 

Jorge’s ability to steal is fantastic and all but what good is it if he can’t get on base? 

I’m warming up to plugging Ortiz in at short. I’m not officially there yet but another swing and miss strikeout on a low and away slider might get me there. 

Edited by banks703
  • Upvote 1

I’n also a prominent fan of Mateo, but he’s a black hole against RHP. The toe tap had a lot of people fooled earlier this year (myself included), but he just can’t hit righties. Or historically, LHP. If they could cut his swing down for more contact / less power I would be fully on board (but it’s the MLB, so that ain’t happening). I’m ready for Ortiz or whatever comes next. 

• Upvote 3

Mateo is a bewildering player to any fan observing the games. How can one guy go from such an extreme to another? In April he was hitting like an All-Star. Now, he's hitting like a rookie ball player who got dropped into the big leagues.

I really hope he improves soon or else I'm in favor of benching him and sticking him in a backup/pinch runner/defensive substitute role.

I’ve been a supporter of his but the lack of offense is making it hard to continue to do so, I agree. I still believe the glove is elite/great enough to warrant playing time. 

I said it before, I’ll say it here: it’s hard to have him and Mountcastle in the same lineup.  But Mateo brings that glove to a key defensive position, he should get priority. 

That said, I believe Mateo would have a day to day role on this team as constructed. The thing that makes it hard to keep him as the starting SS is that there are guys in the system who are putting pressure on they organization to make a decision about what to do. If these guys weren’t in the system and producing at a high level, I’d be pretty satisfied with an all glove/no hit SS who can still deliver a 3+ WAR season. 

But that’s not the reality of the situation. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’ve been a supporter of his but the lack of offense is making it hard to continue to do so, I agree. I still believe the glove is elite/great enough to warrant playing time. 

I said it before, I’ll say it here: it’s hard to have him and Mountcastle in the same lineup.  But Mateo brings that glove to a key defensive position, he should get priority. 

That said, I believe Mateo would have a day to day role on this team as constructed. The thing that makes it hard to keep him as the starting SS is that there are guys in the system who are putting pressure on they organization to make a decision about what to do. If these guys weren’t in the system and producing at a high level, I’d be pretty satisfied with an all glove/no hit SS who can still deliver a 3+ WAR season. 

But that’s not the reality of the situation. 

Mateo's OPS since the start of May is .363. Nobody's defense is good enough to carry that kind of bat. Hopefully he'll get on another heater at some point, but I don't think it's worth plugging in such a useless bat for weeks on end in the hopes that he'll repeat April at some point.

• Upvote 1

Mateos spring training stats and early season stats, historically are very good. I really like him but I was also a big fan of Pie. You either get your shit together or you don’t. Some times really talented great guys don’t figure it out. 

5 hours ago, sevastras said:

Mateos spring training stats and early season stats, historically are very good. I really like him but I was also a big fan of Pie. You either get your shit together or you don’t. Some times really talented great guys don’t figure it out. 

Pie!!?? We have a Pie reference!! 

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Mateo is a bewildering player to any fan observing the games. How can one guy go from such an extreme to another? In April he was hitting like an All-Star. Now, he's hitting like a rookie ball player who got dropped into the big leagues.

I really hope he improves soon or else I'm in favor of benching him and sticking him in a backup/pinch runner/defensive substitute role.

Ya know, up here in our local adult baseball league I once played shortstop. I was damn good. But not THAT good. Anyhoo, one year I was hitting .470 at the All Star break, and started in that game. I was crushing everything. Ball looked big as a balloon as they say. Well, the first game of the second half I'm at bat. Pitcher throws a fastball that I saw big as day. I gave a mighty swing and...and...and...missed it. Huh!? How the heck did I miss that pitch? I stepped out for a second. Back in the box, next pitch same thing. Now wait a doggone minute. What in the name of Brooks Robinson's spikes is going on here? I was 'moidering" those offerings now just freaking slicing air. Ended up going something like 2 for 24 or something like that. So I relate this incredibly interesting tale to illustrate that in baseball, ya just never know. 

Yesterday there were so many non competitive AB’s for Mateo. I still think he is injured and does not want to sit because he knows the depth of organization. I would move him into the McKenna role for two weeks to a month. Spot starts against LHP, pinch run, and defensive replacement late in games.