Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

2 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

They still have prospect status, Longenhagen just doesn't rate them very highly. I think his issue with both of them is their value on defense. I remember he had questions about Colton sticking at center and Westburg at any position, in which case pretty much all of their value comes from their bats.

Keith Law at the Athletic doesn't like Cowser/Westburg very much either. Both have been high on Joey Ortiz though.

I also remember Longenhagen saying that he thinks Cowser has holes in his swing against breaking stuff down because of his stance and fastballs in. I seem to recall him saying in a chat that he thought Cowser had the floor of and down guy. Take it for what it’s worth.

33 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I also remember Longenhagen saying that he thinks Cowser has holes in his swing against breaking stuff down because of his stance and fastballs in. I seem to recall him saying in a chat that he thought Cowser had the floor of and down guy. Take it for what it’s worth.

He also in June of last year was a Gunnar skeptic.  To his credit he came around later. 

49 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I'm assuming he said that during the offseason/last year? I could have understood thinking some of this stuff then, but I would have thought that Cowser's performance at AAA this season answered some questions for him (and Law). Apparently not though.

39 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I'm assuming he said that during the offseason/last year? I could have understood thinking some of this stuff then, but I would have thought that Cowser's performance at AAA this season answered some questions for him (and Law). Apparently not though.

My recollection is that it was either early this season or in the off-season, but don’t quote me on that. My kids keep me so busy I can barely remember what day it is.

• Haha 1

David Hall, a writer for the Virginia Pilot, seems to have the need to create a story where the is none and shouldn't be one.  It appears that people who make their living writing 'stories' have to create something where there is nothing.  I didn't know David Hall's writing style enough to judge before, but I consider this AMBUSH journalism.  He ambushed Mayo and those he interviewed.  If I were the Tides Manager and staff, I would caution ALL OF MY PLAYER AND STAFF to give this guy 100% canned responses from here on out.  I would also block him from speaking with players and staff before or during a game.  These are my thoughts on the writer and not the subject.  I don't believe the subject/focus of the article (and it isn't Mayo) should be a thread on this board.

His article this morning, "Before he was a top Orioles prospect, Coby Mayo survived Parkland shooting."  The story literally begins, "If asked, Coby Mayo is willing to talk about the day that changed his life and the lives of those in his hometown forever. But he’s not likely to bring it up, and his willingness has its limits."

He then blindsides Handley:  Asked whether he had knowledge of what Mayo had experienced in high school, Handley, understandably, took the question a completely different way.  “I actually don’t really know what he experienced in high school,” Handley said. “Credit to him. Keep the yearbook closed. I’m sure he had tons of accolades.”  Told of the shooting, Handley said, simply, “I did not know that. Well, dang.”

Handley didn't take the bait, so David Hall moves on to Buck Britton:  Norfolk’s staff is aware of the unimaginable weight Mayo quietly carries, which only he can fully understand. If he ever discusses the mass shooting with his manager, it will likely be because Mayo brought it up.  “He doesn’t really talk about it,” Britton said. “We know what, kind of, he’s been through.  “That’s kind of a dark place that I really don’t want to go with him. If he feels like that’s something that he wants to open up about, we’re more than willing to be there and listen."

HUGE RESPECT to Coby Mayo in shutting down David Hall's injection of politics into sports:  Asked on a recent afternoon where he was that day in relation to the violence, Mayo showed where his line is when it comes to discussing it.  “I would rather not talk about the actual day,” he said. “It happened, but it’s a tough situation to talk about before a game.  “You want to stay representing the individuals, but you don’t want to always hold on to it and talk about it every day. You kind of just want to let that be in the past.”

Seriously, WTF is this writer thinking about interviewing the players and staff about this before a game let alone at all when Coby Mayo is choosing not to do it in the first place.

45 minutes ago, CHIP said:

David Hall, a writer for the Virginia Pilot, seems to have the need to create a story where the is none and shouldn't be one.  It appears that people who make their living writing 'stories' have to create something where there is nothing.  I didn't know David Hall's writing style enough to judge before, but I consider this AMBUSH journalism.  He ambushed Mayo and those he interviewed.  If I were the Tides Manager and staff, I would caution ALL OF MY PLAYER AND STAFF to give this guy 100% canned responses from here on out.  I would also block him from speaking with players and staff before or during a game.  These are my thoughts on the writer and not the subject.  I don't believe the subject/focus of the article (and it isn't Mayo) should be a thread on this board.

His article this morning, "Before he was a top Orioles prospect, Coby Mayo survived Parkland shooting."  The story literally begins, "If asked, Coby Mayo is willing to talk about the day that changed his life and the lives of those in his hometown forever. But he’s not likely to bring it up, and his willingness has its limits."

He then blindsides Handley:  Asked whether he had knowledge of what Mayo had experienced in high school, Handley, understandably, took the question a completely different way.  “I actually don’t really know what he experienced in high school,” Handley said. “Credit to him. Keep the yearbook closed. I’m sure he had tons of accolades.”  Told of the shooting, Handley said, simply, “I did not know that. Well, dang.”

Handley didn't take the bait, so David Hall moves on to Buck Britton:  Norfolk’s staff is aware of the unimaginable weight Mayo quietly carries, which only he can fully understand. If he ever discusses the mass shooting with his manager, it will likely be because Mayo brought it up.  “He doesn’t really talk about it,” Britton said. “We know what, kind of, he’s been through.  “That’s kind of a dark place that I really don’t want to go with him. If he feels like that’s something that he wants to open up about, we’re more than willing to be there and listen."

HUGE RESPECT to Coby Mayo in shutting down David Hall's injection of politics into sports:  Asked on a recent afternoon where he was that day in relation to the violence, Mayo showed where his line is when it comes to discussing it.  “I would rather not talk about the actual day,” he said. “It happened, but it’s a tough situation to talk about before a game.  “You want to stay representing the individuals, but you don’t want to always hold on to it and talk about it every day. You kind of just want to let that be in the past.”

Seriously, WTF is this writer thinking about interviewing the players and staff about this before a game let alone at all when Coby Mayo is choosing not to do it in the first place.

First of all, if you’re going to crtitique a story, you ought to post a link, though I looked it up and this appears to be behind a paywall.  Since I can’t read it, I can’t say whether the story was inappropriate or not.  Certainly the fact that a Tides player attended school where a famous shooting took place is an interesting human interest story.  If he doesn’t want to discuss it, that’s certainly his right, but how could the journalist know that until he asked about it?  I don’t see anything inappropriate about raising the topic.  Finally, how did the author “inject politics” into the story?   The fact that someone attended a school where a mass shooting occurred isn’t politics, it’s a fact.  I guess if they asked for his views on gun control or police presence in schools, I’d consuder that to be injecting politics.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

First of all, if you’re going to crtitique a story, you ought to post a link, though I looked it up and this appears to be behind a paywall.  Since I can’t read it, I can’t say whether the story was inappropriate or not.  Certainly the fact that a Tides player attended school where a famous shooting took place is an interesting human interest story.  If he doesn’t want to discuss it, that’s certainly his right, but how could the journalist know that until he asked about it?  I don’t see anything inappropriate about raising the topic.  Finally, how did the author “inject politics” into the story?   The fact that someone attended a school where a mass shooting occurred isn’t politics, it’s a fact.  I guess if they asked for his views on gun control or police presence in schools, I’d consuder that to be injecting politics.  

Agree with this.  Didn't seem like the writer was overly pushing it.   I think all three replies were appropriate and the writer left it alone.    If he had pressed the issue, I could understand someone being upset about it.

The writer should have just pivoted and written about the Stoneman Douglas baseball team. They've won three straight Florida state titles and something like 50 straight games. Probably the best high school baseball program in the country and doing that as a public school.

• Upvote 3

On 7/26/2023 at 9:15 AM, Ohfan67 said:

Why do you think the Orioles are not playing him at first much? They stress versatility so much in some players, but then they basically wait until the majors to switch the position of other players. Odd. 

I wish I knew. The Orioles player development does things a bit differently than most orgs. Most orgs tend to define what position a goys will play in the majors by AA and keep him focused there for the most part. 

The Orioles will take a guy like Westburg and play him mostly at SS and 3B in AAA then play him mostly at 2B at the major league level when it was obvious to EVERYONE that was going to be his main position if he was going to get playing time at the major league level. 

Remember, this org played Stowers some in CF in the minors. I understand versatility for some players, and honestly, Westburg is a guy who may need to play all over the infield so I'm not against him playing different positions, but Mateo, Henderson and Ortiz were all ahead of him playing SS at the major league level. Maybe he should have gotten more of those SS reps at 2B with Norby playing Lf? 

It's just a little weird but the Orioles definitely go against the conventional way of doing things for development and have been pretty successful overall though all of their rookie hitter seem to need a significant break in period. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mayo is -5.4 than the league average so a bit of scuffling to begin was likely to be expected (though my homer self was of course hoping he'd explode on the scene).

Still, over the last 7 days (21 PA), he's slashing 294/.429 /.647 /1.076, so hopefully he's breaking out now!

Edited by Orioles Jim
  • Upvote 3