Drew Rom 2023

Frobby

23 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Ha, I spend an hour last night researching and analyzing the statcast information on Rom's stuff and researching pitchers with a similar fastball, provide the data with charts, and get one react and the follow on comments are talking about wins in the minors and Frobby's feelings on rooting for underdogs (which got as many reacts as mine.) My mistake. I must be doing this wrong! lol

Let me try this then. Rom wins a lot of games and is an underdog guy! I love him and want him to do good!

Sweet, just saved myself hours of research over the rest of his stuff and can move on. 

Tony, you are a stud.  Never forget that. You out OPS everyone.  Lotta posters have high OBP but your SLG can’t be touched! 

and for the record when you posted those charts I didn’t have any rep left to give that day :) 

Edited by emmett16
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rom lost again tonight. He hasn't been the same since he was called up for a few days and didn't pitch. I know I'm on the opposite extreme from so many who want prospects called up after every good game. I just hate seeing pitchers jerked back and forth.  It seems like it almost never works out, at least for the Orioles.

7 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Rom lost again tonight. He hasn't been the same since he was called up for a few days and didn't pitch. I know I'm on the opposite extreme from so many who want prospects called up after every good game. I just hate seeing pitchers jerked back and forth.  It seems like it almost never works out, at least for the Orioles.

I'm not a fan of yo-yoing guys either but he didn't even pitch while he was up here.  I can't imagine it would have affected him that much (if it did, he's not going to be very successful in MLB haha).  I think it's more likely he's just had a few subpar starts.

5 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I'm not a fan of yo-yoing guys either but he didn't even pitch while he was up here.  I can't imagine it would have affected him that much (if it did, he's not going to be very successful in MLB haha).  I think it's more likely he's just had a few subpar starts.

I think it's more about the travel time of being yo-yo'd between locations than it is playing. Dropping everything you were doing to travel that far ASAP just to sit on a bench is still annoying and exhausting.

12 hours ago, orioles22 said:

It disrupted his routine. Took him out of his groove.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been like night and day since he was promoted to the majors and sat around. 

Through May 3: 2.87 ERA in 6 starts.

May 14 to now: 8.91 ERA in 8 starts.  

Now, I’m not claiming that the 11 days off screwed him up so badly that he can’t pitch anymore.  But he really hasn’t had a good start since he returned.  He allowed fewer hits than IP in 5 of his 6 initial starts; he’s had more hits than IP In every start since he returned. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hope the 1 IP appearance means they are stealthily converting Rom to a RP. I don’t think he has any future as a SP and we don’t need another swing 5th SP / bulk RP. But with his minor league K rates I think he has a shot to be a Coulombe-esque RP with much higher slider usage and perhaps a couple extra ticks on his fastball letting his fastball shape/command really play up.

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2023 at 10:06 PM, Frobby said:

It’s been like night and day since he was promoted to the majors and sat around. 

Through May 3: 2.87 ERA in 6 starts.

May 14 to now: 8.91 ERA in 8 starts.  

Now, I’m not claiming that the 11 days off screwed him up so badly that he can’t pitch anymore.  But he really hasn’t had a good start since he returned.  He allowed fewer hits than IP in 5 of his 6 initial starts; he’s had more hits than IP In every start since he returned. 

I just don't think you should ever bring up a prospect if the plan isn't for him to play regularly. Bring up a 4A guy if you need insurance on the big team for a few days. I'd still rather have Cowser in Norfolk if he sits very often like last night.

• Upvote 1

I got a chance to see Rom pitch Tuesday at Gwinnett. He wasn't overpowering but made it through five solid innings to get the win. Sheffield was impressive for the Stripers. I had forgotten about him, but I think he was a big-time prospect for the Yankees a few years ago.

• 1 month later...