Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I think he'll still make some noise in the Rookie race, though Masataka Yoshida is looking very strong early.

Volpe and Jung have a lot of counting stats, though even slumping Gunnar isn't far off them on the rates.     We saw Adley leapfrog Witt last year with lower raw numbers in the old school categories.

Yennier?

I feel like Gunnar is very close to breaking out. He keeps hitting the ball hard, taking good at bats, getting on base, and overall showing signs like he's very close to a huge game. He's doing all the right things to figure out how he's being pitched to. He's so close to breaking out that I can sense it. 

He is really starting the year similar to how Adley did last year, a few more games struggling I believe. The big difference is that his end to last year with us completely reset our expectations. I am looking forward to his next 100 AB’s, talent wins.

• Upvote 1

The best thing for Gunnar would be for us to bat him 2nd so that they can’t pitch around/nibble with breaking balls on the corner. He basically gets the Adley treatment.  We need those two stacked in the lineup.

I think he would put OPS Santander and Mountcastle if batting 2nd. Heck, he’ll probably put OPS them anyway. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The best thing for Gunnar would be for us to bat him 2nd so that they can’t pitch around/nibble with breaking balls on the corner. He basically gets the Adley treatment.  We need those two stacked in the lineup.

I think he would put OPS Santander and Mountcastle if batting 2nd. Heck, he’ll probably put OPS them anyway. 

I think many on here will not like putting someone batting .180 2nd in the lineup but I think it's worth trying.

34 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I think many on here will not like putting someone batting .180 2nd in the lineup but I think it's worth trying.

Could bat him 9th, which stacks him, Mullins and Adley in a row.  I like that, especially w/ Mateo batting 8th (if he ever heats up).  I couldn't bat him 3rd until he heats up some. 

Was really hoping he would win ROTY. However, I think Volpe has a big lead on him based on him being in NY and also his stolen bases.  Not saying it’s right, but he has been dynamic is a way that Gunnar hasn’t and OBP doesn’t excite voters the same. 

6 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Was really hoping he would win ROTY. However, I think Volpe has a big lead on him based on him being in NY and also his stolen bases.  Not saying it’s right, but he has been dynamic is a way that Gunnar hasn’t and OBP doesn’t excite voters the same. 

On this date last year, JRod was OPSing .625 and Adley hadn't even debuted yet, but they finished 1-2 in ROY. 

I'd put the odds in Gunnar's favor to finish ahead of Volpe. 

If there were a ROY for the first 1/4 of the season, Yennier Cano might get it for the AL.

• Upvote 2

He really, really doesn't want to swing at anything outside of the zone. To the point that he looks visibly disgusted when the umpires miss calls.

Being as absurdly young as he is, I wonder if the times when he gets screwed by umps are messing with his psyche in a way that he hasn't yet learned how to deal with. A 1-1 count suddenly goes to 1-2 even though it was a good take, and then he has to protect the amorphous zone. I would be frustrated too if my approach relied on winning at the margins.

I've said this before, but I think he would absolutely feast with an automatic zone. Not only because he would work even more walks and favorable counts, but also because he's not like Vavra who has similar discipline but only makes meek contact even if it's a pitch he's sitting on. If Gunnar only has to swing at the balls he's waiting on, he has all of the ability to drive them.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I've said this before, but I think he would absolutely feast with an automatic zone. Not only because he would work even more walks and favorable counts, but also because he's not like Vavra who has similar discipline but only makes meek contact even if it's a pitch he's sitting on. If Gunnar only has to swing at the balls he's waiting on, he has all of the ability to drive them.

I think it will vary with the pitcher.  If a guy can hit a spot that is a strike that Gunnar doesn't think he can drive he'll have a huge advantage with the automated strike zone.  The strike zone is three dimensions and I think the big winner will be pitchers that can reliability nick it.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it will vary with the pitcher.  If a guy can hit a spot that is a strike that Gunnar doesn't think he can drive he'll have a huge advantage with the automated strike zone.  The strike zone is three dimensions and I think the big winner will be pitchers that can reliability nick it.

Fair enough. Obviously it's yet to be determined how proficient pitchers will become at narrowing their target and nibbling.

I don't think it will necessarily help the average batter relative to pitchers. But Gunnar's elite eye and hit tool aren't average.