Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Oh wait, I just actually read the title of that article: "Trade grades: Minnesota Twins add All-Star closer Jorge Lopez as Baltimore Orioles get another F"

So this "analyst" gave this trade an F! Bwahahaha. Do people really pay to read this kind of analysis? If I were a paying customer I literally would have cancelled after that hit take! 

The analysis wasn’t for what the return was..it was about trading him at all, when the team was winning for the first in forever.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The analysis wasn’t for what the return was..it was about trading him at all, when the team was winning for the first in forever.

I can understand that opinion and it's valid if you didn't think Lopez could be replaced and you legitimately felt the Orioles were a World Series contender.

To me, I will always sell on a reliever like Lopez on a barely viable wild card chance when the return includes a legitimate starting pitching prospect.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I can understand that opinion and it's valid if you didn't think Lopez could be replaced and you legitimately felt the Orioles were a World Series contender.

To me, I will always sell on a reliever like Lopez on a barely viable wild card chance when the return includes a legitimate starting pitching prospect.

You are assuming they sold high(or I guess I should say at his highest value). I didn’t believe that then and I don’t believe it now.

And as I recently said (and this wasn’t an argument I made at the time), I don’t think it would have been tough to get players like the one we got in this deal while keeping Lopez..and I think we could have gotten Cano in a separate deal.  

But even putting that aside, I think we would have been fine keeping hiM and dealing him this July or the offseason.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Cano's outing tonight made me more confident in his long-term viability despite giving up a run. Coming onto the scene and throwing balls that gyrate is nice and all, but there will be times when that's not enough. I perked up after he let two on, since we hadn't seen him in that situation before.

Two hard hits to start the inning. Not sure Cano looked particularly bad so much as Toronto seemed to be selling out for certain pitches. Bichette and Vlad Jr. still to come. Gut check time.

Felt like Cano/Adley made an adjustment as they pounded the zone with all high-90s to Bichette. Ground out. Absolute battle with Vlad Jr. that went 3-2. Confidence enough to try both the fastball and changeup as out pitches to get the eventual K. Who knows what Varsho is thinking by that point. Weakly makes contact to ground out on three pitches.

Really encouraging outing.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You are assuming they sold high(or I guess I should say at his highest value). I didn’t believe that then and I don’t believe it now.

And as I recently said (and this wasn’t an argument I made at the time), I don’t think it would have been tough to get players like the one we got in this deal while keeping Lopez..and I think we could have gotten Cano in a separate deal.  

But even putting that aside, I think we would have been fine keeping hiM and dealing him this July or the offseason.

That’s hilarious.   Now that we’ve had the chance to watch the talent we received in exchange for Lopez, we got extremely good value for him.  Elias & co. deserve huge kudos for this trade.  

24 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Cano's outing tonight made me more confident in his long-term viability despite giving up a run. Coming onto the scene and throwing balls that gyrate is nice and all, but there will be times when that's not enough. I perked up after he let two on, since we hadn't seen him in that situation before.

Two hard hits to start the inning. Not sure Cano looked particularly bad so much as Toronto seemed to be selling out for certain pitches. Bichette and Vlad Jr. still to come. Gut check time.

Felt like Cano/Adley made an adjustment as they pounded the zone with all high-90s to Bichette. Ground out. Absolute battle with Vlad Jr. that went 3-2. Confidence enough to try both the fastball and changeup as out pitches to get the eventual K. Who knows what Varsho is thinking by that point. Weakly makes contact to ground out on three pitches.

Really encouraging outing.

Not trying to take away from the point of your post, but Varsho was 102 off the bat on his ground out. It was smoked. Hard to always tell on TV. Was hit harder than both Keirmeier's single and Springers Double.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Not trying to take away from the point of your post, but Varsho was 102 off the bat on his ground out. It was smoked. Hard to always tell on TV. Was hit harder than both Keirmeier's single and Springers Double.

Good correction, thanks. I didn't check the exit velo and the game being so crystal clear for once in 4K deceived my eyes 😆.

My guess is they were all encouraged to sit on the changeup to a certain degree, and Varsho was doing that on the pitch he hit. But it's still not a pitch you can really get loft on. Springer's ground rule double was off of a fastball.

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s hilarious.   Now that we’ve had the chance to watch the talent we received in exchange for Lopez, we got extremely good value for him.  Elias & co. deserve huge kudos for this trade.  

They got the 22nd ranked prospect in a so so system, 2 lottery tickets and an “old” reliever that hadn’t accomplished much in the minors.

If he continues pitching well, as he has, and they trade him in July or this offseason, I think they get more than that.

Now, Povich is developing well although the consistency isn’t there yet. Cano has obviously been amazing in the SSS so far this year and maybe there is something there with the lottery tickets but that’s a ways away from reality.

We will see how everyone looks. Obviously things look good now but I think that would have happened at a later date and we kept Lopez. 

They targeted guys and got players they wanted who are doing well. That doesn’t mean they traded Lopez at his highest point. It just means they got a deal they felt was worth it. Those are 2 different things.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

They targeted guys and got players they wanted who are doing well. That doesn’t mean they traded Lopez at his highest point. It just means they got a deal they felt was worth it. Those are 2 different things.

I’m fine with that distinction.  And I’m fine with a GM who makes trades when he gets a deal he thinks is worth it without holding on in the hope that the player’s value will go even higher.   Because it can also go lower.  So if the value is good, pull the trigger if the direction of the trade makes strategic sense.  

• Upvote 2

The Apple telecast tonight was talking about how he was throwing from 2 different arm slots but he decided to get rid of one of them in ST and he has taken off since.

Makes you wonder why the Os didn’t do that as soon as he came over here? They obviously saw something they liked about him.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m fine with that distinction.  And I’m fine with a GM who makes trades when he gets a deal he thinks is worth it without holding on in the hope that the player’s value will go even higher.   Because it can also go lower.  So if the value is good, pull the trigger if the direction of the trade makes strategic sense.  

Sure and that’s what happened. The question is and always has been, was it the right move.

That’s the debate.

I personally think there is more to the discussion than just the return. There are many layers to any trade.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure and that’s what happened. The question is and always has been, was it the right move.

That’s the debate.

I personally think there is more to the discussion than just the return. There are many layers to any trade.

I think it is just stupid obfuscation from a trash take you had in August.  There aren't that many layers to it.  It's actually pretty simple.

A) Jorge Lopez

VS

B) Cano, Povich, Nunez, Rojas

Nobody in their right mind would prefer A over B.  And none of your unicorn farts and magic fairy dust changes that.  

Edited by Pickles