Adley Rutschman BB/K Watch

Aristotelian

Adley hasn’t hit his weight in two weeks. He barely hit .100 in his last seven games. I think benching him or better yet sending him to Norfolk would send a strong message to the team that this crap is not going to be tolerated. 

😎

Every ballplayer goes thru slumps whether it is April or October.   The key word here is THRU, not stays stuck in it.  He will be fine. His very presence in the lineup is like having a wildcard in a Poker hand.  But, of course he should have a day off now and again just like any other worker in this country.  

I think it's a good time to sit him tonight. McCann is a good bet to play against Sale anyway, so you might as well have him catch. DH Santander, play McKenna in RF (I know, I know). 

This scenario does highlight a hole in the Orioles roster where it could use a righty to plug in against LHP that isn't McKenna. I think it's part of the reason we'll see Ortiz or Westburg up in place of Vavra sooner rather than later. O'Hearn (or Lester, or Diaz) is a fine bench lefty bat, but this team needs another righty IMO. 

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think it's a good time to sit him tonight. McCann is a good bet to play against Sale anyway, so you might as well have him catch. DH Santander, play McKenna in RF (I know, I know). 

This scenario does highlight a hole in the Orioles roster where it could use a righty to plug in against LHP that isn't McKenna. I think it's part of the reason we'll see Ortiz or Westburg up in place of Vavra sooner rather than later. O'Hearn (or Lester, or Diaz) is a fine bench lefty bat, but this team needs another righty IMO. 

This isn't really a hole. The number of games Adley isn't DH or C should be like five or less. We shouldn't be designing the roster around that scenario. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

This isn't really a hole. The number of games Adley isn't DH or C should be like five or less. We shouldn't be designing the roster around that scenario. 

I guess that's true re: DH. However, I still think a righty bat in Vavra's position would be more useful than his lefty bat throughout the season overall. Especially since he's fairly redundant with Frazier. Plus I think it's better to have a guy you're comfortable playing at SS if you need to. Vavra is not that guy, much as I like the player. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I guess that's true re: DH. However, I still think a righty bat in Vavra's position would be more useful than his lefty bat throughout the season overall. Especially since he's fairly redundant with Frazier. Plus I think it's better to have a guy you're comfortable playing at SS if you need to. Vavra is not that guy, much as I like the player. 

I wish they would just let teams carry an extra pitcher. It is interesting that they added O'Hearn as the last guy and he is LH. I don't think they really care what platoon side Vavra plays, his role is to cover whatever open spot is there in event of injury. Frazier can do that but he is starting most days. 

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Adley hasn’t hit his weight in two weeks. He barely hit .100 in his last seven games. I think benching him or better yet sending him to Norfolk would send a strong message to the team that this crap is not going to be tolerated. 

😎

Does he have options left? Maybe just cut him if this keeps up for another week or two. 

On 4/24/2023 at 10:52 AM, Aristotelian said:

I wish they would just let teams carry an extra pitcher. It is interesting that they added O'Hearn as the last guy and he is LH. I don't think they really care what platoon side Vavra plays, his role is to cover whatever open spot is there in event of injury. Frazier can do that but he is starting most days. 

It seems that Vavra has more positional versatility.  Frazier seems to be limited to 2B/COF.  I would think Vavra could do a better job covering 3B/SS if needed.