Orioles power rankings, 2023

Frobby

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we are.  Especially with the starters ERA going the way they are.

I know it was only one series and they dropped 2, but the starters were pretty impressive vs Atlanta. There's not a lot of holes in that lineup.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe they're trending up but I still don't trust Kremer and to a lesser degree, Bradish.

I agree that they need to show more over an extended period.

I'm still salty that they let Pillar beat them Saturday night. That guy is just a stale fart that won't go away.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I never thought I would say this... We might be overrated. 

Well, if you treat a power ranking as an assessment of how good a team actually is, then we certainly are overrated at 3.  But I understand power rankings to be more of a who’s hot/who’s not kind of thing.  To the extent that they serve any purpose at all. 

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah 3 seems a bit crazy especially after dropping the Braves series. I know it was close and well fought, but it exposed some of our weaknesses with the pitching. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, if you treat a power ranking as an assessment of how good a team actually is, then we certainly are overrated at 3.  But I understand power rankings to be more of a who’s hot/who’s not kind of thing.  To the extent that they serve any purpose at all. 

Good point. I usually think of it as "assessment of how good a team is based on recent performance". ESPN has us #7 based on similar criteria:

Our expert panel has combined to rank every team in baseball based on a combination of what we've seen so far and what we already knew going into the 162-game marathon that is a full baseball season. 

I have to say, #7 still feels like an over-rating. The MLB ranking that has us #3 doesn't have any description. Apparently is just an arbitrary ranking based on a group of voters.  

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Good point. I usually think of it as "assessment of how good a team is based on recent performance". ESPN has us #7 based on similar criteria:

Our expert panel has combined to rank every team in baseball based on a combination of what we've seen so far and what we already knew going into the 162-game marathon that is a full baseball season. 

I have to say, #7 still feels like an over-rating. The MLB ranking that has us #3 doesn't have any description. Apparently is just an arbitrary ranking based on a group of voters.  

7 overrated? Come on now. That’s just silly. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, dystopia said:

7 overrated? Come on now. That’s just silly. 

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Seems like some O's fans are so used to losing that they can't trust what they are seeing.

Ha! I'm surprised at the folks who are already buying the hype. I was in the 6.4% who voted for over 90 wins in the preseason poll, but I'm still not quite buying it. 

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Maybe .. but there are some good things happening ..we are where we are and

1. Santander just recently heating up, Henderson is a much better hitter than shown -if he heats up , it will cover Mateo cooloff 

2. Givens and Tate returning 

3. I believe Kremer and GRod will  pitch much better than they have to date 

4 John Means coming back 

5. Westburg, Ortiz , Cowser and Norby will help this team..either by playing later in summer or traded

• Upvote 1

Jumped from 4th to 6th in the Athletic Power Rankings.  They have Tampa #1 followed by the Rangers and Braves....and falling 6 spots from 5 to 11 is the Blue Jays :) We deserve some credit for that, for sure.

Jays are 5-12 in the division.  

4. Baltimore Orioles

Record: 31-16
Last Power Ranking: 6

It would’ve been cool to see Jorge Mateo continue his meteoric rise this month, but in reality, the Orioles weren’t counting on guys like Mateo in 2023. They were expecting an immediate impact from their top prospects like Gunnar Henderson and Grayson Rodriguez. Instead, it’s been a rough transition for those two, even as the surging Orioles have accumulated the second-best record in baseball. Henderson is batting .192 with a .685 OPS in everyday playing time, and Rodriguez has a 6.21 ERA through eight starts. There are silver linings, to be sure. Henderson is getting on base at a good clip. Rodriguez now has more solid starts than bad, with a few blowups skewing the ERA. But they’ve also looked a lot like, well, rookies. And if the Orioles are to do better than stay in the playoff conversation, if they’re going to chase down the Rays, it’ll likely be because Henderson and Rodriguez got a firm foothold and found their groove. — SN

• Upvote 1

Fangraphs Playoff Odds has given us a nice bump up to 46.7%. The Jays are somehow ahead of us, barely, at 54.1%. Mariners, Angels, and Guardians are fading. Yankees and Rangers are strong favorites, then it would be us and the Jays for the last spot. 

Fangraphs model gives us only 5% chance of winning the division, well behind the Yankees (21.9%) despite having a three game lead over them. 

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Fangraphs Playoff Odds has given us a nice bump up to 46.7%. The Jays are somehow ahead of us, barely, at 54.1%. Mariners, Angels, and Guardians are fading. Yankees and Rangers are strong favorites, then it would be us and the Jays for the last spot. 

Fangraphs model gives us only 5% chance of winning the division, well behind the Yankees (21.9%) despite having a three game lead over them. 

If the Yankees get healthy they're were always going to be in the mix.

Toronto... it's really hard to explain why they're not running away, or at least right there with Tampa. That's a talented team, which makes it even more impressive that the O's swept them at home like that.

On 5/8/2023 at 2:47 PM, Aristotelian said:

Didn’t Pecota or Cots have the Os with a losing record?