Praising Hyde Thread 2023

Aristotelian

I think the McKinsey-ites have Clubs sprinting a bit more than they used to, at least with Pitchers 8-13 any given day.

After spending most of the offseason wondering if the Decision Science of Rest would let Gunnar's Ironman streak attain even 10-15 games, this Adley 21-for-21 and counting thing is kind of fun to watch.     Some of the other guys have soft 21's as substitutes.

I expect Voth will be exposed to Waivers at some point, as might Coulombe whenever the orange runs out of juice.    I agree something will be hurting with Cionel if there's a few more rough ones.    I suppose Voth could end up in a Coulombe like trade to someone with more use for him.

Its introductory Rays you only have like 6 important pitchers.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I don't think it's a great point.   What's more important, winning the game you're actually playing or planning on a situation in the next game or two which may not even happen?    Let's say we used Baumann for two innings yesterday.    Ok, so Baumann isn't available for 2 days, maybe even 3.     You still have virtually the whole bullpen besides Baumann available tonight, including 4 trusted members.   If you blow yesterday's game because you used Perez and tonight's game is a blowout one way or the other, then you planned for something that never even happened.    Yesterdays' game happened in real time and Perez wasn't needed.

You are always managing for the next game or next series if not then you should just play your best players every game along with using your best relievers in every game it doesn’t matter if you are down 4-2 in the 6th we know the offense can score so use the best guys they will probably be worn down by July but we have to try to win every close game in April.  

8 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

You are always managing for the next game or next series if not then you should just play your best players every game along with using your best relievers in every game it doesn’t matter if you are down 4-2 in the 6th we know the offense can score so use the best guys they will probably be worn down by July but we have to try to win every close game in April.  

No. I’m not talking about wearing relievers out, using them 3 consecutive days or anything like that.  When your best relievers are available you don’t go to the guy who is scuffling.  

12 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I think it was a good decision to use Cano to close out tonight's game. Brandon Hyde has his bullpen figured out. I think he deserves a lot of credit and so do the players he's asking to get the job done (and they get it done).

Sure.  The reason was to rest Bautista to keep him fresh.   In that case you get next man up.   He didn’t go with Austin Voth.  He went with his next best guy who was available tonight.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I think it was a good decision to use Cano to close out tonight's game. Brandon Hyde has his bullpen figured out. I think he deserves a lot of credit and so do the players he's asking to get the job done (and they get it done).

And he's going to have to figure it out all over again once Givens and Tate come back! And then again for Means and maybe Hall if he stabilizes at Norfolk

I don't know how Brandon Hyde doesn't have a heart problem with the stress some of these pitchers induce on fans like us. How he's able to stay level and trust his guys when they walk the bases loaded with the game on the line, is beyond me. But he continues to stick with them and most times be escape with the victory.

I'm not someone who has the blood pressure to deal with the type of margin for error. Like Bautista tonight, for example. DL Hall was another one who was struggling to throw strikes last season that I couldn't understand Hyde putting him in a leverage situation. Hyde did it anyway and Hall was able to turn things around at the end of the year.

Kudos to Hyder for having the giant balls to trust his guys in spite of the causes for concern.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

5/4 13-10 Win vs Royals

After blowing an 8-1 lead, the game thread was ready to go ballistic on Hyde. However, he actually made several critical moves that contributed to this ugly win. With the Royals storming back, they had 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and Salvy up. Hyde intentionally walked him to load the bases, then brought in Coulombe. A high risk move where a base hit gives the lead back and anything more could give the game completely away. However, Coulombe got back to back strikeouts to keep the lead 8-7. 

Still, the Royals take the lead in the 7th, handing the game over to Chapman in the 8th. Here Hyde gives a massive green light to everyone who gets on base, resulting in Frazier balk and steal of third, Mateo SB, and Urias SB of second and third. (McCann also steals second in the 9th). In the midst of the craziness on the basepaths, Hyde pinch hits Urias for Gunnar, and is rewarded with RBI single in the 8th and double in the 9th. 

After Cano helped limit the trouble in the 7th, Hyde listens to the OH Game Thread and leaves Cano in for another inning of work. This could come back to bite us tomorrow as Cano and Bautista should probably both be unavailable. Still, a win-now-worry-about-tomorrow move that paid off at least on the front end. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

5/4 13-10 Win vs Royals

After blowing an 8-1 lead, the game thread was ready to go ballistic on Hyde. However, he actually made several critical moves that contributed to this ugly win. With the Royals storming back, they had 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and Salvy up. Hyde intentionally walked him to load the bases, then brought in Coulombe. A high risk move where a base hit gives the lead back and anything more could give the game completely away. However, Coulombe got back to back strikeouts to keep the lead 8-7. 

Still, the Royals take the lead in the 7th, handing the game over to Chapman in the 8th. Here Hyde gives a massive green light to everyone who gets on base, resulting in Frazier balk and steal of third, Mateo SB, and Urias SB of second and third. (McCann also steals second in the 9th). In the midst of the craziness on the basepaths, Hyde pinch hits Urias for Gunnar, and is rewarded with RBI single in the 8th and double in the 9th. 

After Cano helped limit the trouble in the 7th, Hyde listens to the OH Game Thread and leaves Cano in for another inning of work. This could come back to bite us tomorrow as Cano and Bautista should probably both be unavailable. Still, a win-now-worry-about-tomorrow move that paid off at least on the front end. 

I agree with this .. basically