TT: It's time to bring up Colton Cowser

Tony-OH

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's interesting that fans have all kind of simultaneously reached the point where they're calling for Cowser or Westburg or both. Intuitively, it's time. The pitchforks are being dusted off and sharpened as we reach 1 month of games and the prospects are lighting up AAA. 

So let's see just how different the fan timeline is from the Elias timeline. We can use Tony's thread here as Day 1. Barring injury, I usually expect Elias to be about 1 month behind fan clamoring. But like we saw with Grayson and Irvin, sometimes we get surprised. 

Coswer has 180 ABs, Westburg 424, & Ortiz 164.  They are all crushing the ball and have been doing so over the period of those ABS.  There is a need at the MLB level and these guys are upgrades.  We have a legit shot at playoffs and I'd like to get these guys as many MLB ABs as possible before the big end of year tournament (as Just Regular likes to say).

Scott Garceau spinning Hyde's pregame presser was in the ballpark of "It sounds like Austin  Hays is alright, but it'll probably be a few days..."

Looks like on the near anniversary of the absurd at Detroit lineups of 2022 we may be in for some more playing short.

I hope Hays can be near peak effectiveness on Day 4, but it doesn't feel like a good bet.

27 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Anyway, so that this actually furthers the subject of the thread, @Tony-OH you've been one of the most vocal Stowers proponents as well and I'm curious how you think they should be balancing Cowser vs Stowers in the callup/playing time battle over the next couple months. 

I think Cowser gets the nod right now because he's on a heater and his defense is better than Stowers. Stowers should have been in a rotation with Hays, Santander and DH when he was here earlier, but now that he's back in AAA, Cowser is out performing him offensively and he's a better defender for sure.

Stowers is a Santander replacement (whether it's due to injury or performance) while I see Cowser as a great fit defensively in left field and allowing Hays to move to a more natural RF.

If Cowser was brought up, basically your outfield defense gets a bump and you only take away PAs from Vavra and Frazier. I think you send Vavra down because Frazier can cover his positions and while I'd rather have Vavra than Frazier, I know Elias is not cutting his $8 million man anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cowser isn't on the 40 right?

Elias seems fond of guys on his 40.

Yeah, but he still has the ability to move Seth Johnson to the 60-day IL to clear up a spot. Plus he could DFA Gillaspie tomorrow and it's no big deal. Vespi, Zimmermann and Krehbiel also are at risk.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Scott Garceau spinning Hyde's pregame presser was in the ballpark of "It sounds like Austin  Hays is alright, but it'll probably be a few days..."

Looks like on the near anniversary of the absurd at Detroit lineups of 2022 we may be in for some more playing short.

I hope Hays can be near peak effectiveness on Day 4, but it doesn't feel like a good bet.

Day to day Hays is never a good thing. He tends to be out a decent amount and when he returns, he's rarely the same guy for awhile.