Ortiz down, Stowers up

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t know what the behavior is. 

The tendency, among fans, to blame injuries for certain players' struggling (Santander, Hays, Mancini) while not giving the same leeway to others (Mountcastle, Stewart).

Edited by Can_of_corn

14 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Seems like a guy who plays every day and bats 3 or 4 should be capable of producing more than 1 WAR every 500 ABs. But I guess he’s just unnecessarily maligned. 

You are talking about Mountcastle here, right?   Every player has his fans who will minimize his negative traits and maximize all the positives, and his critics who do the opposite.  For me, he’s an okay player who runs very hot and cold and frustrates me at times with his lack of plate discipline.  He’s not going to be the centerpiece of a good team, but he doesn’t kill you over 162 games, either, if you ride the roller coaster with him.  Presently, he’s not hitting for power, but he’s been on base 9 games in a row.  Eventually he’ll heat up.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

The tendency to blame injuries for certain players' struggling (Santander, Hays, Mancini) while not giving the same leeway to others (Mountcastle, Stewart).

I think that might just be your perception of OH. There’s plenty criticism of Hays and Santander. Of course Mancini was recovering from cancer. And I’m not aware of any Mountcastle injuries 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Who’s not going to play to make room for Stowers playing 4-5 times a week?   I hope he’ll play more than last time, but he’s not playing 4-5 times a week unless someone gets hurt. 

Santander? He’s been hitting like he’s been hurt the whole season.

27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He looked very comfortable. Kinda makes you wonder why we signed Adam Frazier for $8M. I hope to see more.

I still say he signed Frazier because they didn’t plan on Mateo tearing it up.  I think they wanted to move Mateo and give Henderson the SS position but they were trying to sell him for his great defensive value and speed along with his second half of the season with the bat.  They were probably trying to sell him higher then other teams saw the value of him because of poor plate discipline and poor numbers as a whole.  I think trying to trade players that show glimpses of success and talent are the hardest guys to trade because when trading them you are trying to sell the potential value to teams but they only want to pay for the value as a whole and using past struggles to pull down the value of what they will trade you.  I would bet Elias tried to move Mateo and maybe even Urias but teams didn’t offer what they thought has enough so they kept him.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, waroriole said:

I think that might just be your perception of OH. There’s plenty criticism of Hays and Santander. Of course Mancini was recovering from cancer. And I’m not aware of any Mountcastle injuries 

I wasn't talking about the cancer, I'm not that gauche.  I was talking about his 2018 season.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are talking about Mountcastle here, right?   Every player has his fans who will minimize his negative traits and maximize all the positives, and his critics who do the opposite.  For me, he’s an okay player who runs very hot and cold and frustrates me at times with his lack of plate discipline.  He’s not going to be the centerpiece of a good team, but he doesn’t kill you over 162 games, either, if you ride the roller coaster with him.  Presently, he’s not hitting for power, but he’s been on base 9 games in a row.  Eventually he’ll heat up.  

My main criticism of Mountcastle is Hyde’s perception of him. He’s fine in the proper role (batting 6 or 7) and getting days off more frequently. If he’s struggling, I’d like to see more guys cycled into the lineup and Mountcastle lowered in the order when he plays. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

My main criticism of Mountcastle is Hyde’s perception of him. He’s fine in the proper role (batting 6 or 7) and getting days off more frequently. If he’s struggling, I’d like to see more guys cycled into the lineup and Mountcastle lowered in the order when he plays. 

Works for me.  

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I'm fine with that, I'm just also fine with Santander being treated similarly.  He's been hitting 3rd and 4th all season.