The reason this good team(Orioles) will not be a great team

Roy Firestone

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think this is a key point.  If you look at last year, our starting pitching got better as the year went along.  They had a 4.62 ERA and averaged 4.76 IP/start before the all star break, 4.03 ERA and 5.20 IP/start after the ASB.  Where you start isn’t necessarily where you finish.  

That said, it isn’t a given that this staff will improve.  Nor do I think that last year’s level of improvement would be enough for this to be a “great” team.  But I do hope for improvement, and think it’s realistic to expect some.  

FWIW, the AL average so far this year is 5.2 IP/start, and the league leader is Minnesota at 5.6.   The O’s are 9th at 5.1.  Tampa Bay is last at 4.6, though they continue to play the “opener” game about 40% of the time.  None of their true starters are averaging 6 IP per start, though.  

There are only 8 AL pitchers averaging 6+ IP/start: Cole, Bieber, Valdez, Eovaldi, E. Rodriguez, J. Ryan, P. Lopez, and Gausman.  This ain’t exactly the days of Palmer, McNally and Cuellar, or even Roy Halladay or Sabathia.  

I think Grod and Kremer will definitely be better through the rest of the season than they have been.   I think Givens and Tate will help our length.  I think John Means is going to help.  And we have guys kicking the door in in Norfolk who can help us by taking over a spot if somebody falters or by getting packaged in a major deadline deal. 

44 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re playing good baseball. We’ll get even better as the season goes on. Really young team. 

This.  They have been incredible and aren’t even close to hitting on all cylinders.  They will hit their stride in August and been a challenge for anyone.  

On 5/7/2023 at 5:47 PM, RZNJ said:

Shouldn't this be in the Captain Obvious thread?  You only need to be good to make the playoffs and please don't tell me the Phillies were a great team last year.

We are going to ride the current staff and see where it leads us.  Dylan Cease wasn't Dylan Cease overnight.   Corbin Burnes wasn't Corbin Burns until he had 2-3 years in MLB.  For now, I'll take good.

Add Voth to trusted relievers.  The bullpen gets deeper without making a move.  Givens replaces Akins.  Irvin still a factor at Norfolk.  

How many people, including the thread starter, thought we were "good" before the season started?

And we will have John Means in July, I hope he is good after the TJ recovery though.