Choose your Starting Pitcher

Billy F-Face3

Yes, it's another hypothetical topic just for fun! If you could choose just ONE of the starting pitchers on the list below to join the Orioles pitching staff in the quest for a #1 in the rotation, which one would you choose? Who do you think fits in the best with the Orioles as a team and their pitching staff? And, why would you choose that pitcher for the Orioles? I post this question to you, with thoughts to the fact that we have no LHP's in the starting rotation.

The list...

Max Fried

Sandy Alcantara

Dylan Cease

Corbin Burnes

Eduardo Rodriguez

Andrew Painter (Top Prosect)

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Is money/contract no object? Just which guy we like the best? I would go with Burnes. 

Correct. Cost to acquire is no object. Imagine if you were drafting players, and for your selection you wanted to pick between one of these pitchers on the list.

The only way money would a factor, is if you wanted to factor in their current contracts. Right now the Orioles have one of the lowest payrolls in baseball, so taking on a $10-15M Average Annual Salary should be no problem for a top pitcher. Especially after the contracts of this seasons free agent acquisitions (Gibson + Frazier) expire in the offseason.

4 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

A little bit off topic, but does anyone think the Mets might be surprise sellers? If they don't get going, might they blow it up and sell off players?

Mets are playing just about as bad as they possibly can to start the year and yet only 1.5gb of a playoff spot... so probably not. Probably a good thing because they'd probably trade their pitching to our division foes before us. 

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

A little bit off topic, but does anyone think the Mets might be surprise sellers? If they don't get going, might they blow it up and sell off players?

Mets just beat the Rays in dramatic fashion.  I wouldn't count them out.

But for the topic and the sake of conversation, the list of pitchers available to select from would be...

Sandy Alcantara

Max Fried

Zac Gallen

Eduardo Rodriguez

Corbin Burnes

So far there's been 1 vote to choose Burnes, and 1 vote to choose Ed Rodriguez.

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Yes, it's another hypothetical topic just for fun! If you could choose just ONE of the starting pitchers on the list below to join the Orioles pitching staff in the quest for a #1 in the rotation, which one would you choose? Who do you think fits in the best with the Orioles as a team and their pitching staff? And, why would you choose that pitcher for the Orioles? I post this question to you, with thoughts to the fact that we have no LHP's in the starting rotation.

The list...

Max Fried

Sandy Alcantara

Dylan Cease

Corbin Burnes

Eduardo Rodriguez

Andrew Painter (Top Prosect)

Alcantara is the best of the group and is on a long term tremendously team-friendly deal, so obviously he would be the best. 

Some of the others listed are not available at all like Fried and Burnes. Like there is almost zero chance of them being on the Orioles or being available period as there teams are in contention. Max Fried is the #1 pitcher on the #1 team in the NL so I’m not sure how he made this list?

Cease is having a down season thus far and it can be argued that his wonder season last year may be a one off. There is a much higher chance that both he and Rodriguez are the most available of this list and maybe the only ones on this list that are realistically available at all. It would depend on the cost of the two. Rodriguez is having a much better season, but is a short term rental with the opt-out. Where as Cease has two more cost controlled years on his deal after this one.

Again, Painter is not available at all. So I’m not even sure how his name is associated with this list? If this list is intended to be about dream scenarios or which pitcher do you think is the best or will turn out the best, I guess I sort of understand.

If you are asking what pitcher is the best in the game today or having the best season thus far, then this list needs to be much different. I guess maybe I am confused what this list is seeking to ascertain?

I would love to have any of the top five listed.  I'm not sure what each of their contract statuses are (how many years before FA?).  

If we are giving up our top prospects, then I would like to acquire someone who is more than a rental.  

Fried is currently on the DL, so I'm going Burnes (if I had to pick) but it all depends on who we have to give up. 

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

No, not at all. Are you familiar with who their owner is and his backstory? He is not a wave the white flag guy and you don’t do that in NY. There is no need to with all the added wildcards.