I can't see messing with the pitching

Baltimorecuse

2 minutes ago, now said:

Interesting. Can you remind us which of those trades you were in favor of?

And can you elaborate more on what you say about Irvin?

I was against the Norris trade and in favor of the Miller trade.  With Norris I thought they overpaid for someone that didn't have excess value over what he was signed for.  With Miller I thought he was the type of difference maker that can really help in the postseason.

I don't recall exactly what I said about Irvin, it wasn't a lot.

Something to the effect of wanting them to bring in a front of the rotation guy but you can't complain about sending a surplus infielder for a cost controlled back of the rotation starter.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

I suppose if you read my post you would have seen that I said that I didn't think our rotation was at all responsible for losing the ALCS. Without looking back at the box scores, I recall an absolutely unconsciously hot KC team that was playing way over their heads, and they were a pretty good group to begin with. 

That rotation took us a long way. Arguably further than anyone though we'd go, even after 96 wins. Sometimes you just run into a buzzsaw.

Also later in my post, I supported adding a TOR starter to the rotation if we could do it without giving up any of our major young pieces. 

Gotcha. I would rather use last year’s champs as a measurement since that is a team that we will probably have to go through than trying to build a rotation comparable to the 2014 Orioles.

As far as your last statement, if we don’t give up prospects that other teams value, how do you propose that we can land a TOR starter?

Oh yeah, no need to do anything to the starting pitching. Grayson is blowing up, Means isn't coming back, Wells is probably on an inning limit. We also aren't competing with other teams. We are competing with future Yankees, Jays, Sox, Stros, Rangers, etc... that add players before the deadline.

11 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Oh yeah, no need to do anything to the starting pitching. Grayson is blowing up, Means isn't coming back, Wells is probably on an inning limit. We also aren't competing with other teams. We are competing with future Yankees, Jays, Sox, Stros, Rangers, etc... that add players before the deadline.

Yes I think this thread was a curse

As a reminder, the Orioles will go where their pitching takes them.  But a dominant SP rotation is not likely to be in the cards. I still think the O’s can be competitive in the postseason. 

While we should be looking for upgrades we have beaten a rotation that included Scherzer/Verlander/Sanchez as recently as 2014. 

This team can be successful with strong but not exceptional pitching if the offense can be improved. 

I would prefer to add a TOR but the constant bemoaning that this team could not compete without a major upgrade is horse hockey. 

The good news is there are plenty of options and depth to make it work. The question is what is the FO willing to do and can it pull it off. 

The Yankees have spent a trillion dollars and haven’t won a title in almost a quarter of a century. I am not afraid of them in the least. 

It would be very helpful to the current pitching staff if the offense could be more consistent. 

Edited by foxfield
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

As a reminder, the Orioles will go where their pitching takes them.  But a dominant SP rotation is not likely to be in the cards. I still think the O’s can be competitive in the postseason. 

While we should be looking for upgrades we have beaten a rotation that included Scherzer/Verlander/Sanchez as recently as 2014. 

This team can be successful with strong but not exceptional pitching if the offense can be improved. 

I would prefer to add a TOR but the constant bemoaning that this team could not compete without a major upgrade is horse hockey. 

The good news is there are plenty of options and depth to make it work. The question is what is the FO willing to do and can it pull it off. 

The Yankees have spent a trillion dollars and haven’t won a title in almost a quarter of a century. I am not afraid of them in the least. 

It would be very helpful to the current pitching staff of the offense could be more consistent. 

I don't think do nothing and remember 2014 is a great model for long term success. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think do nothing and remember 2014 is a great model for long term success. 

I said no such thing. I was simply countering the idea that we had to add high end starters or we cannot be competitive. That’s bogus. 

We also cannot do nothing as our competition is not going to do nothing. 

I think we have a better team than most here believe but we also have talent we can bring up or spend to get better. 

And I get this reign of error brought on by Angelos but I am trying to buy into this club in a new way. Like an investment. Past results do not guarantee future performance.