AL Rookie of the Year Watch

Aristotelian

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Gunnar is going to take the ROY just like he took 3B last night.  Doesn’t matter what the other guys do, Gunnar is gonna do Gunnar. What a hell of a player!  The tools just keep appearing.  The competitive nature, drive, focus, and attention to detail are insane.  PAY THE MAN NOW!! 

Remember when people wanted to send him down after a few weeks?  

Those same people are all worried about Colton Cowser now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brooks The Great said:

Those same people are all worried about Colton Cowser now. 

The similarities in the way their plate appearances and approaches have happened, are striking. Colton is late when swinging at pitches and has been very conservative at the plate. The result is he's fouling alot of pitches off and walking. But I think he's feeling his way just like Gunnar is and I keep seeing him working things out with each at bat... just like Gunnar did. I think if we are patient enough we might be able to see Colton take off as well, although I don't think he is quite as physically gifted as Gunnar is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The similarities in the way their plate appearances and approaches have happened, are striking. Colton is late when swinging at pitches and has been very conservative at the plate. The result is he's fouling alot of pitches off and walking. But I think he's feeling his way just like Gunnar is and I keep seeing him working things out with each at bat... just like Gunnar did. I think if we are patient enough we might be able to see Colton take off as well, although I don't think he is quite as physically gifted as Gunnar is.

Adley, Gunnar, and now Colton all let the ball travel too deep when they came up.  It made it look like they couldn't hit a fastball.  I am sure Colton will be fine.  

On 7/20/2023 at 8:08 AM, Aristotelian said:

As of today, not only are the O's in first place, Gunnar has taken the WAR lead over Jung, with Gunnar up a tick to 2.6 and Jung down a tick to 2.5. Let the good times roll!

Checking after the Tampa series, Gunnar is up to 2.8, Jung down to 2.4. Big series for Gunnar with a HR and some outstanding defense. 

Jung's lead in HR is down to +3. 

On 7/21/2023 at 2:59 PM, baltfan said:

Adley, Gunnar, and now Colton all let the ball travel too deep when they came up.  It made it look like they couldn't hit a fastball.  I am sure Colton will be fine.  

Yesterday he tatooed at least two balls that went right at defenders / on which defenders made really good plays to rob of hits.

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Yesterday he tatooed at least two balls that went right at defenders / on which defenders made really good plays to rob of hits.

Gunnar is leading in WAR, OBP, OPS, and OPS+.

He won't catch Jung in RBI, but he could catch him in AVG and HR.  

Draftkings has it as +175 Jung, +190 Gunnar.  That's pretty even.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I wouldn’t say either was a great defensive play.  The first one was a line drive right at the 1B’s face, I don’t think he even had to move his feet.  The second was a slicing liner to LF that the outfielder caught in stride.   Both were hit very hard but just not in the right spot; I don’t think the defense was anything outstanding.  

The irony is that in his other two at bats, Cowser reached on an error by the 3B and then a 3rd strike that got past the catcher.   Didn’t help his BA, but he was on base twice in his two at bats where he didn’t hit the ball hard.  

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gunnar is leading in WAR, OBP, OPS, and OPS+.

He won't catch Jung in RBI, but he could catch him in AVG and HR.  

Draftkings has it as +175 Jung, +190 Gunnar.  That's pretty even.  

Like I said, it will hinge on who is impressive in the stretch run.   I’m expecting Gunnar to be quite impressive.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t say either was a great defensive play.  The first one was a line drive right at the 1B’s face, I don’t think he even had to move his feet.  The second was a slicing liner to LF that the outfielder caught in stride.   Both were hit very hard but just not in the right spot; I don’t think the defense was anything outstanding.  

The irony is that in his other two at bats, Cowser reached on an error by the 3B and then a 3rd strike that got past the catcher.   Didn’t help his BA, but he was on base twice in his two at bats where he didn’t hit the ball hard.  

On the LF one, was going off the radio broadcast, which made it seem like a really nice grab to rob a base hit. I stand corrected there, but general point of a high number of well-struck "at-em balls" remains, which is reminiscent of Adley's slow start in my mind.

I wonder if Mike Elias has a 1st round pick calendar set up for the decade, his consolation because he already knows he'll never purchase a FA year from anyone better than Kyle Gibson, except maybe a QO acceptance.

2024 - got my Gunnar 2023 RoY one

2025 - got my Kjerstad 2024 RoY one, and my Santander QO one

2026 - got my Holliday 2025 RoY one, and my Mullins QO one, and my Hays QO one

2027 - got my Basallo 2026 RoY one, and my Wells QO one

2028 - got my Adley QO one, and my Felix QO one

2029 - got my Gunnar QO one, and my Bradish QO one

Sure 6 years from today the Club only has Grayson/Cowser/Holliday/Mayo/Kjerstad/Basallo/Westburg/Ortiz, but it also could have 18 1st rounders in pre-Arb or on the Farm.     Jackson Holliday in the Heston Kjerstad 129 AB role next year might make some good baseball theater.

Gunnar is extending his WAR lead bit by bit. All three saw their OPS drop a bit in July. Would they give it to a 29 year old OF/DH? 

Gunnar Henderson 2.9 WAR, .241/.332/.795, 16 HR, 44 RBI

Josh Jung 2.4 WAR, .272/.321/.802, 20 HR, 61 RBI

Yoshida 1.8 WAR, .308/.371/.858, 12 HR, 53 RBI

On 7/24/2023 at 11:00 AM, Just Regular said:

I wonder if Mike Elias has a 1st round pick calendar set up for the decade, his consolation because he already knows he'll never purchase a FA year from anyone better than Kyle Gibson, except maybe a QO acceptance.

2024 - got my Gunnar 2023 RoY one

2025 - got my Kjerstad 2024 RoY one, and my Santander QO one

2026 - got my Holliday 2025 RoY one, and my Mullins QO one, and my Hays QO one

2027 - got my Basallo 2026 RoY one, and my Wells QO one

2028 - got my Adley QO one, and my Felix QO one

2029 - got my Gunnar QO one, and my Bradish QO one

Sure 6 years from today the Club only has Grayson/Cowser/Holliday/Mayo/Kjerstad/Basallo/Westburg/Ortiz, but it also could have 18 1st rounders in pre-Arb or on the Farm.     Jackson Holliday in the Heston Kjerstad 129 AB role next year might make some good baseball theater.

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now.  Only wrench in the plan is Holiday being a freak show.  Almost makes you wonder if he gets a little seasoning this year and starts next year on opening day roster.  RoY #1 & #2 next year would be something.  Has that ever happened before?  The ultimate farm system flex 💪 

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now.  Only wrench in the plan is Holiday being a freak show.  Almost makes you wonder if he gets a little seasoning this year and starts next year on opening day roster.  RoY #1 & #2 next year would be something.  Has that ever happened before?  The ultimate farm system flex 💪 

I think they go the same path as Gunnar.  Also, not being able to really predict how soon Holiday comes up, really screws up figuring out the sequence of getting our present AAA talent into the big leagues.  IF Holiday comes up mid-2024, who do we need to move to clear roster spots?