MASN adds La Canfora, Devereaux, and Brad Bach to their lineup

accinfo

18 minutes ago, Malike said:

Ben McDonald was a robot during his first couple of broadcasts. He's come a long way. Devo was fine, in my opinion. Perfect? Nope, but he didn't hurt the broadcast or distract from it.

Completely agree. Devo had never called a game in his life. I also thought he was fine. I’m sure he’ll be better in August, and will continue to improve if given future opportunities. Maybe some people absolutely crushed it the first time they had a job doing something new, but most people improve with experience.

• Upvote 1

La Canfora is along the lines of a Nestor Aparicio, name-dropper, know it all who is always right.  He loves to hear himself talk. 

I remember seeing him in Frederick when the Keys were still an affiliate and pimping his son for autographs and acting like he was personal friends with the players.  Bragged about it on social media as well.

• Upvote 2

Overall this is no big deal. That said, I am slightly annoyed that we finally get the Kevin & Ben Show back after a brutally long lay-off and a sub-par version of it is forced upon us for a little while. 

I don't think Devo is going to be a broadcaster. He's more of a guest guy, which is fine, we like Devo, and he was mostly knowing his role and being quiet. But a whole series of Ben politely volleying comments his way was a little much. 

I'm much more interested in hearing Brach because as a pitcher he might have some interesting back and forths with Ben or Jim. 

Edited by interloper

29 minutes ago, interloper said:

Overall this is no big deal. That said, I am slightly annoyed that we finally get the Kevin & Ben Show back after a brutally long lay-off and a sub-par version of it is forced upon us for a little while. 

I don't think Devo is going to be a broadcaster. He's more of a guest guy, which is fine, we like Devo, and he was mostly knowing his role and being quiet. But a whole series of Ben politely volleying comments his way was a little much. 

I'm much more interested in hearing Brach because as a pitcher he might have some interesting back and forths with Ben or Jim. 

On the contrary, I think having two pitchers is....boring. They just agree on everything 99% of the time. I prefer to have a guy who actually hit the baseball and played the field at a high level in OPACY.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

On the contrary, I think having two pitchers is....boring. They just agree on everything 99% of the time. I prefer to have a guy who actually hit the baseball and played the field at a high level in OPACY.

I guess I actually agree. I really love having B-Rob on there for that reason. And he's pretty darn talented for a green broadcaster IMO. 

But this has mostly been Ben commenting about the hitting and then being like "right Devo?" Eh. Like I said, not a huge deal, it is what it is. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I really wish they would go get Caleb Joseph away from the the Blue Jays. I know he would be good and have stories from the 2014-18 timeframe. Plus, you know he would be funny too.

I agree...I think he'd give his left nut to be back in Baltimore...

Too soon?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

LaConforta's style is what bothers a lot of people. He's a screamer who's voice is like nails on a chalkboard for some. He's knowledgeable and opinionated about the Orioles so it's not like he's awful in this areas, but he rubs people the wrong way a lot of times.

He's also very open about his politics and brings that into his radio broadcast often and of course that aligns him with Angelos, but annoys half the listeners. 

I have a hard time listening to him on the radio because of his delivery of screaming his points when he gets fired up. Not sure if he plans to continue that approach on the pregame show or not. 

He's a hard listen for me, but I rarely watch the pregame show anyways due to it's constant wagering ads and comments about odds and so forth. 

Melanie though is very good typically in pre or post game mode and I'd rather see her paired up with a former player or even Ryan Ripken who has shown to be very good with analysis.

I'm with you @Tony-OHon the gambling ads, they're annoying and are creeping more and more into the game.  I don't want to hear about live game odds; I just want to watch and enjoy the game.

Pretty soon we'll see lawyer commercials saying, if your life was ruined by sports gambling shoved down your throat during telecasts, call us, we're here to help.....

I appreciated what Brach brought to the table tonight. His best moments were talking about his time here, or quick mentions about the journey of a player. That's a good way to get his feet wet IMO. Seemed like he was loose towards the end. 

I have spent the last couple years avoiding JLC, shame I'm going to have to do that when it comes to O's games now too. 

• Upvote 1