Time for Cowser up for O'Hearn

accinfo

O'Hearn has been a good story but I have to believe Cowser will be a better player for the rest of the season in the majors.  Play Tony at first.  Listening to Elias on the broadcast today he thinks he is ready.  See if O'Hearn can get through waivers and go down to AAA in case of injuries.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, accinfo said:

O'Hearn has been a good story but I have to believe Cowser will be a better player for the rest of the season in the majors.  Play Tony at first.  Listening to Elias on the broadcast today he thinks he is ready.  See if O'Hearn can get through waivers and go down to AAA in case of injuries.

I was an advocate even up to a week ago of leaving the kids down while O'Hearn and Hicks rode their hot streaks/good play. But the luster appears to wearing off of both of them quick.

Now, I am definitely in the camp of bring up both Cowser and Kjerstad soon. However, it should be McKenna who goes while Hicks is the 4th outfielder. O'Hearn can still be a useful LH bat off the bench to pinch hit in certain situations.

3 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

You wouldn't have posted this thread if O'Hearn went 2 for 4 today

But the problem is that he hasn’t done that in a while and the BA/OB/slug have been plummeting. We can’t have a guy getting consistent ABs at the cleanup spot to be doing absolutely nothing like he has been for pretty much the entire home stand.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

But the problem is that he hasn’t done that in a while and the BA/OB/slug have been plummeting. We can’t have a guy getting consistent ABs at the cleanup spot to be doing absolutely nothing like he has been for pretty much the entire home stand.

I'm all for giving guys with a track record a chance to work themselves out of a slump but O'Hearn is the opposite of that. 

54 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

He went 2 for 4 not even two weeks ago on June 18th. He has been in a slump for like ten days.

Look, I'm not saying he should be given forever to figure things out, but this thread is reactionary.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

He went 2 for 4 not even two weeks ago on June 18th. He has been in a slump for like ten days.

Look, I'm not saying he should be given forever to figure things out, but this thread is reactionary.

He was in a slump from 2019-2022.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He was in a slump from 2019-2022.

And he very well could return to being that player. I think he's earned at least a few weeks to show that's not the case. Besides, what are we going to do at first base, Ramon Urias? Anthony Santander?

Ryan Mountcastle?

8 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Thinking he is good after years of being poor to average is reactionary.  Loved his hot streak, but if it's over time to move on.   Let's not ride him for two months like we did Mateo hoping for him to get back to something he had never before been in his career. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

He doesn’t have a track record suggesting what he was doing was sustainable or his norm. He appears to be turning into a pumpkin and the only reason that he was blocking (the superiorly more talented) Cowser and Kjerstad is because of how well that he was hitting. He should not be given much rope as it is much more important to the franchise that Cowser and Kjerstad begin to get reps so that they can establish themselves.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

And he very well could return to being that player. I think he's earned at least a few weeks to show that's not the case. Besides, what are we going to do at first base, Ramon Urias? Anthony Santander?

Ryan Mountcastle?

Santander with Cowser taking over primary  RF duties.  Hicks as outfield backup/relief.  Others,  like Westburg, Urias, etc can fill in if needed on occasion.

Or heck,  bring up Kjerstad!  (Joking... kinda)

Edited by forphase1

3 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Ryan Mountcastle?

I'd rather have Santander at first and Cowser in the outfield given a choice.

Mountcastle does have three hits tonight so he might be ready to come back soon as well.

As badly as he's struggled this season Mountcastle has the better track record of the two.

31 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Ryan Mountcastle?

A few weeks?? No thanks. There's nothing in O'Hearn's career to suggest that he deserves that much rope. Pretending that a journeyman's hot streak is something more is what bad orgs do. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Santander with Cowser taking over primary  RF duties.  Hicks as outfield backup/relief.  Others,  like Westburg, Urias, etc can fill in if needed on occasion.

Or heck,  bring up Kjerstad!  (Joking... kinda)

I honestly believe that he (Kjerstad) is just passing time by being down there. If he is really as advanced as a hitter as he has always been touted to be since draft day, he’s probably ready right now to come up. The AA manage said he was ready to hit in the bigs when he left Bowie.