My 2023 Midseason Report Card

Frobby

I think your expectations are too high on Adley.   That is what you are judging against and Adley deserves a better grade.    I would say at a minimum an A and maybe an A+. 

His peers voted him an All Star.  He now hits lefties and righties  where he had troubles with lefties last year.  The team has improve their record this year and we have to give Adley some credit.   The team is hanging around .600 win percentage.  Did you really expect that?    

His slump in June may be because of overuse as a catcher.   He hits much better as a DH.  Did last year and is this year.    

Where would the team be without Adley?   C+ is not the grade for me.   Well unless your expectations were way too high.

Hays deserves an A+.   Again his peers voted him an All Star.   His numbers are way better than I expected.   You seem to be docking his defense in the cold and wind.   Really?

All this post means is that my expectations of these two players were lower than yours.  If you can really believe that.

Edited by wildcard

22 minutes ago, now said:

What grade does Vavra get? (You left it out.)

Thanks for the summary.

Oops!  I’m going to say C-.  My expectations weren’t super high, and he didn’t meet them.  But, it’s not like he got consistent at bats, either.  

I’d go a bit higher on McCann just for the defense.

Mounty and Mateo are self-inflicted F’s.  I’m probably being too harsh (especially with Mateo’s defense to account for) but man…

Frazier has been a D for me.  I expected a better OBP and he hasn’t met that expectation.  The extra power helps but not making outs is what makes this offense go.

Gunnar and Adley’s expectations in the second half are higher.

And now for the pitchers -- 20 innings minimum.

Kyle Gibson, 96.2 IP, 8-5, 4.66 ERA, 1.376 WHIP, 6.9 K/9, 2.9 BB/9, 0.7 rWAR, 1.6 fWAR: B-/C+.  Gibson has been exactly what I expected, a slightly better version of 2022 Jordan Lyles.  He’s had a couple of rough starts recently that have knocked his ERA back rather drastically, and given his history of pitching better in the first half of the season, I’m a little nervous about how he’ll do in the second half, but his first half was solid enough.

Tyler Wells, 92.2 IP, 6-4, 3.21 ERA, 0.885 WHIP, 9.2 K/9, 1.9 BB/9, 2.0 rWAR, 0.9 fWAR: A-.  Wells’ strikeout rate is drastically up this year, and he covered a lot of innings, leading AL starters in WHIP.   The only blemish on him is his high HR rate, but I find nothing to complain about in his first half.  But how many innings can he cover in the second half?

Dean Kremer, 91.0 IP, 8-4, 5.04 ERA, 1.418 WHIP, 8.1 K/9, 2.4 BB/9, 0.2 rWAR, 0.1 fWAR: C+.  It’s been an up-and-down season from Kremer, and he has skidded a bit lately.  Overall, though, he covered a lot of innings and had many solid starts in the first half.

Kyle Bradish, 78.0 IP, 4-4, 3.58 ERA, 1.205 WHIP, 8.5 K/9, 2.4 BB/9, 1.6 rWar, 1.4 fWAR: A-.  Bradish picked up just where he left off last year, and to me he’s still got some upside.  My only knock on him is that he’s covered a few less innings per start than Gibson, Wells and Kremer.

Grayson Rodriguez, 45.1 IP, 2-2, 7.35 ERA, 1.743 WHIP, 11.1 K/9, 4.2 BB/9, -1.0 rWAR, -0.3 fWAR: D-.  I won’t give a rookie an F, but the fact that GRod is back in Norfolk after a very full opportunity says a lot.  I had, and still have, very high expectations for him.   He showed flashes of why, but his lack of command just kept getting in the way.  I’m really hoping he’s back and better at some point in the second half.

Cole Irvin, 26.1 IP, 1-3, 7.18 ERA, 1.671 WHIP, 9.2 K/9, 3.4 BB/9, -0.5 rWAR, 0.1 fWAR: F.  Irvin is not a rookie, so I don’t have any compunction here.  He didn’t get much of an opportunity though, and I hope he can give us a Gibsonesque performance in the second half.

Felix Bautista, 37.2 IP, 3-1, 1.19 ERA, 0.982 WHIP, 18.2 K/9, 4.2 BB/9, 1.8 rWAR, 1.7 fWAR: A-.  His ERA, WHIP and especially K/9 are crazy good.  But there’s still the nagging problem of the 5 blown saves in 26 chances, that knocks him down one peg for me.

Mike Baumann, 41.1 IP, 5-0, 3.92 ERA, 1.234 WHIP, 9.8 K/9, 5.2 BB/9, 0.6 rWAR, 0.1 fWAR: B.  I find Baumann incredibly frustrating.  He can look terrific at times, but you never know what you’re getting from one outing to the next or even inning to inning.  He’s probably done better than I expected, which explains my B grade.   But I wish my expectations for him were higher, because his stuff warrants it.

Yennier Cano, 40.1 IP, 1-0, 1.12 ERA, 0.843 WHIP, 8.3 K/9, 1.3 BB/9, 2.3 rWAR, 1.5 fWAR: A.  I expected nothing at all from Cano, and he’s been a very good 8th inning reliever.  Honestly I could have given him an A+, but his numbers over the last month or so haven’t been as dominant as they were earlier.  I’m hoping he’ll remain reliable in the second half.

Bryan Baker, 32.1 IP, 3-2, 4.18 ERA, 1.299 WHIP, 11.7 K/9, 5.3 BB/9, 0.1 rWAR, 0.5 fWAR: C.  I’m a bit disappointed with Baker.  I expected him to be a reliable 7th/8th inning guy this year based on how he did the last two months of 2022.  His command hasn’t been good and I never know what to expect when he comes in.  He’s been similar to Baumann, but I had higher expectations for Baker, hence the lower grade.

Danny Coulombe, 28.2 IP, 2-1, 2.20 ERA, 1.012 WHIP, 11.9 K/9, 2.2 BB/9, 1.1 rWAR, 0.9 fWAR: A.  I’d never heard of this guy until we picked him up from the Twins at the end of spring training.  He’s been our third-best reliever and has rarely looked bad  even when the results haven’t worked out.

Austin Voth, 31.0 IP, 1-2, 4.94 ERA, 1.581 WHIP, 9.0 K/9, 4.1 BB/9, -0.2 rWAR, -0.4 fWAR: D.  He was unreliable in a relief role this year.   I like his stuff but he’s prone to mistake pitches and his command often means there are runners on base when those mistakes happen.

Cionel Perez, 29.1 IP, 1-1, 4.60 ERA, 1.841 WHIP, 6.4 K/9, 4.9 BB/9, -0.3 rWAR, -0.1 fWAR: D-.  Perez is hard to fathom.  His stuff doesn’t look much different than last year, but the results are so much worse.  I could have justified an F for him, but since he somehow kept his ERA under 5.00, I spared him.

Keegan Akin, 23.2 IP, 2-2, 6.85 ERA, 1.775 WHIP, 10.3 K/9, 2.7 BB/9, -0.8 rWAR, 0.4 fWAR: F.  I wish I could spare Akin too.   I like his style of pitching: work fast, throw strikes, challenge hitters.   But the hitters have won the challenge too often.  So, he gets an F, even though in many ways Perez has been the bigger disappointment.

Overall, the pitching get a C- from me.   I’d expected them to be a little better than last year, and they haven’t been.   The good performances (Wells, Bradish, Bautista, Cano, Coulombe) have been outweighed by the bad ones (Rodgriguez, Irvin, Baker, Voth, Perez, Akin).   And then there’s the lack of contribution from Tate and Givens, who were supposed to be mainstays of the bullpen.

So how does a B/B+ from the position players and a C- from the pitchers equate to an A for the team?   I don’t know, but 48 wins in half of a season is an A performance to me, based on what I expected.

I’d love to hear where people think I’ve been to easy or hard with my grades.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think your expectations are too high on Adley.   That is what you are judging against and Adley deserves a better grade.    I would say at a minimum an A and maybe an A+. 

His peers voted him an All Star.  He now hits lefties and righties  where he had troubles with lefties last year.  The team has improve their record this year and we have to give Adley some credit.   The team is hanging around .600 win percentage.  Did you really expect that?    

His slump in June may be because of overuse as a catcher.   He hits much better as a DH.  Did last year and is this year.    

Where would the team be without Adley?   C+ is not the grade for me.   Well unless your expectations were way too high.

Hays deserves an A+.   Again his peers voted him an All Star.   His numbers are way better than I expected.   You seem to be docking his defense in the cold and wind.   Really?

All this post means is that my expectations of these two players were lower than yours.  If you can really believe that.

Saying he deserves an A/A+ tells me you don’t think Adley is going to be that good.

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Adley Grade and write up are so confusing, considering they are coming from someone who has said he isn’t disappointed in Adley’s play.

When we discussed this, I said I was mildly disappointed in Adley’s season so far, considering my high expectations going into the season.  That was on June 12.  He hasn’t done any better since then; in fact, his OPS dropped a little further since then.  Hence, my C+ grade.  He still has time to have a better year.  

Honestly I don’t see how anyone could say Adley is having an A/A+ season if they’re taking preseason expectations into account.  He was worth 5.3 WAR in 3/4 of a season last year, and he’s on pace for about 4 WAR this year.  He’s a deserving all star; that doesn’t mean he’s meeting my expectations, which have never been higher for a young Orioles player.  

Definitely think you could have given Hays an A for this half. His plate discipline will probably always be a bit low, but he's performed as well as we could have ever expected. 

The Adley grade is fair. He's still a deserving All Star and was great in April / May, but he's had a really rough June. Throw in his decline defensively and C+ makes sense based on expectations. There's still a chance he gets hot again in the 2nd half and ends up with a 6+ WAR season. 

Edited by TheWall

An overall good job here. I am a disappointed in Adley coming off last year and the first 2 months of this year.

Cano for whatever reason has bene pitching higher in the zone to me than the first couple months. His sinker used to end up below the strike zone, lately (although not as much recently)  it's staying up and a lot more comnact.

Batista is another Jose Mesa etal for me. He can be killer great, or awful, all in the same game and even the same at bat. He lost his feel for the sinker a while back and it seems to come and go now. His fastball plays well enough to mow down the typical ML batter. 

All of our starters are capable of giving you 5-ish innings of 1 run baseball on any given day, or, a 4 run first inning. 

Based on these grades, we should be able to clearly see what our needs are to reach the finsh line. Either via trades or hoping the disappointing players can pick up their game.