Joey Krehbiel

wildcard

O's need to call up a reliever.

The just put Perez on the IL and optioned Valimont.    That leaves them with 7 relievers.

They already have 3 lefty relievers with Coulombe, Vespi and Zimmermann.   So I am thinking it has to be a righty.

Gillaspie was optioned 11 days ago so he is not eligible and he has been terrible.   I think he is a DFA candidate.

Krehbiel in the last 30 days has a 2.61 ERA  and has struck out 10  in 10.1 IP.   His WHIP is a little high at 1.35.   But I think he is the best they have right now.

So my guess is Cowser and Krehbiel up;   Bemboom  and  Gillaspie DFA'd.    McKenna is redundant but if they option him it will probably be to call up Ortiz.  And I don't think Ortiz is eligible for recall until tomorrow.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 2

Forgot he existed.  Khriebel was solid for us last year until he wore down and got over exposed at the end of the season.  He was actually more reliable that Baker.  Why not go back to the well and see?  Givens doesn't seem to be the answer.  Wandisson Charles could be.  Either way, we need a band aid just to get us to the point of trading for a reliever.  

• Upvote 1

Any talks about Krehiel brings all types of trepidation with me. Because he has a bad habit of serving up meatballs right down the heart of the plate with his change up, and he doesn't seem to think there's anything wrong with that even when he blows leads.

Was wondering who was available down there and completely forgot about Krehbel. He was very solid last year and has been decent at AAA this year. Could he be any worse than middle relievers we have now? Probably not so why not give him a shot.

He had slipped my mind as well. I had not been followinig Norfolk as much (other than a big lead they had built in their division). They are in my hometown of Durham this week to play the Bulls and I was looking at their roster yesterday to tell a friend whom to watch for. While going down the pitchers' list, there he was. Bring him up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can we get him up here instead of trying these other guys that can’t even get hitters out in mop up situations.  Joey was actually pretty good most of the season last year before I think he got worn down and struggled to end season last month  He has pitched pretty well in AAA this season as well and has had decent success in the majors unlike guys like Bazardo, Vespi, Garrett, Gillespie, or whoever else they have tried.    

Hopefully they add some better guys either way but until then I ope to see him up here then the other guys that keep failing.  

31 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Can we get him up here instead of trying these other guys that can’t even get hitters out in mop up situations.  Joey was actually pretty good most of the season last year before I think he got worn down and struggled to end season last month  He has pitched pretty well in AAA this season as well and has had decent success in the majors unlike guys like Bazardo, Vespi, Garrett, Gillespie, or whoever else they have tried.    

Hopefully they add some better guys either way but until then I ope to see him up here then the other guys that keep failing.  

Amen!!! No clue how he cleared waivers but couldn’t agree more. 

At this point, in a very very very limited sample size, all the guys the Orioles have tried to bring up for the bullpen haven't really worked out. Logan Gillispie had limited success the first week or 2 of the season but it's been down hill since then. Garrett, Vallimont, Bazardo... none of them have stuck.

At this point the only prospect that has any hope of helping the bullpen is Darwinzon Hernandez. But seeing how none of the other high ranked relief prospects has been able to secure their opportunities, I'm beginning to look at Joey Kreihbel more and more as if he might be worth another look and another chance.