2023 1st Round Pick (#17): Enrique Bradfield Jr. - CF - (Jr) Vanderbilt University

32 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I don’t remember Bradfield being tied to the Orioles by anyone. That is a bit surprising. I know later I draft that is harder, but I would love to know whether they just didn’t thin’ he would be here or the people they did think would were gone. 

The last few drafts they’ve certainly prioritized pop, and that’s where Bradfield’s resume is the lightest. So I don’t necessarily blame the mock drafters for not considering him in the O’s slot.

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

I wonder how long before everybody is yelling at Mike Elias to "Bring him up!!!"

You’ve already missed it since people in the thread have already talked about bringing him up for the playoffs as a defensive replacement/pinch runner. Gotta keep up!

I will happily bet my net worth against Frank Thomas's that Enrique Bradfield isn't even in the majors within a year. I get that he likes him and wants to praise him, but come on. Don't blow smoke up my ass because you saw him play three times.

Edited by ChosenOne21

46 minutes ago, 86this said:

The Big Hurt comments on the O's selection:

for him to be a difference maker within a year from now it would likely take some trading but there are plenty of trade threads on the main board. OF is clogged at the moment and Kjerstand soon. I do have a feeling we see a major deal in the off-season for a top rotation starter not at the deadline. 

I guess Corbin Carroll is paving the way for sluggers that are 160 lbs soaking wet.  I think when he was a prospect they had him with a 45 power grade and he might hit 35 this year in the bigs.

This guy checks off some boxes for the O's: he has prodigious athleticism combined with (apparently) fairly advanced bat-to-ball skills and an excellent batting eye.  If he's that athletic (and man just look at his highlights for like 3 seconds and you'll see that he is) the O's probably think they can make some mechanical tweaks in the pro game to turn him into a legit hitter.  And I can't say I blame them for that mentality.  When you factor in the fact that he was higher on most mocks, this looks like a good pick so far.

Edited by Hallas

29 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I guess Corbin Carroll is paving the way for sluggers that are 160 lbs soaking wet.  I think when he was a prospect they had him with a 45 power grade and he might hit 35 this year in the bigs.

This guy checks off some boxes for the O's: he has prodigious athleticism combined with (apparently) fairly advanced bat-to-ball skills and an excellent batting eye.  If he's that athletic (and man just look at his highlights for like 3 seconds and you'll see that he is) the O's probably think they can make some mechanical tweaks in the pro game to turn him into a legit hitter.  And I can't say I blame them for that mentality.

Plus he's a left handed bat. It seems that every 1st round pick since Elias has been here has been able to bat left handed.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Plus he's a left handed bat. It seems that every 1st round pick since Elias has been here has been able to bat left handed.

I think it makes sense the way Camden Yards is configured now to look for left handed bats.  

Bradfield’s speed is so extreme, and the value of elite center field defense is so great, that he figures to make some impact on the majors no matter how he develops. But if there’s a drawback to his game, it’s the bat. The worry isn’t that Bradfield will fail to hit at all — he hit .311 across three seasons at Vandy, struck out just 13.6% of the time, and walked more than he struck out. It’s that he could be limited by a lack of power. The most common comp I’ve seen for him is Juan Pierre.

• Upvote 1