2023 1st Round Pick (#17): Enrique Bradfield Jr. - CF - (Jr) Vanderbilt University

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Elias talked a bit before the draft about how he was hands off this year and leaving it up to his scouts since you can't accurately predict who is going to be available at 17 like you can at 1/2/5/1.

This is why I personally like to refer to the front office as the front office and not as Mike Elias. He's not the only one who deserves credit for what this system has turned into.

At the end of the day, it's still his call.  He might not have been on the road as much but he still went through a lot of information and it's ultimately his responsibility.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

At the end of the day, it's still his call.  He might not have been on the road as much but he still went through a lot of information and it's ultimately his responsibility.

And I bet there are people he did see in person. This guy played at Vandy.  Seems like you could have justified catching a Vandy game in the SEC figuring that you will see a lot of potential talent.  

9 minutes ago, now said:

I basically agree with you (without knowing how old you are) but the '70 O's (Buford, Rettenmund) and late 70's to early 80's teams (Murray, Singleton, Roenicke/Lowenstein) come to mind as good OBP teams too. (Good for those 3-run homers!)

I’m 47… I do recall the ‘83 World Series but I don’t recall this level of strike zone knowledge (esp from young players), ever.

Generally speaking, guys with this kind of draft profile are super exciting because of the elite chase rate, speed, and the org’s newfound ability to develop hitters. It’s been super fun to watch.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m 47… I do recall the ‘83 World Series but I don’t recall this level of strike zone knowledge (esp from young players), ever.

Generally speaking, guys with this kind of draft profile are super exciting because of the elite chase rate, speed, and the org’s newfound ability to develop hitters. It’s been super fun to watch.

Read about Glenn Gulliver.  In the 70’s and early 80’s this team valued plate discipline. 

I don’t remember Bradfield being tied to the Orioles by anyone. That is a bit surprising. I know later I draft that is harder, but I would love to know whether they just didn’t thin’ he would be here or the people they did think would were gone. 

More from CBS Sportsline:

Enrique Bradfield, CF, Vanderbilt: Bradfield is an elite ballhawk in center field who ought to compete for a Gold Glove Award in due time. He's also a top-notch baserunner who could steal more than an AI generator (he swiped 130 bases at a 91% success rate for his collegiate career). At the plate, he has a disciplined approach and a good feel for contact that allowed him to bat .296 with more walks than strikeouts in SEC play. While he's never going to be a power hitter, his average and top-end exit velocities were more impressive than, say, Jacob Wilson's. Still, Bradfield was the most polarizing position player in the class among the scouts and analysts who spoke to CBS Sports.

Edited by Paul in Virginia