2023 1st Round Pick (#17): Enrique Bradfield Jr. - CF - (Jr) Vanderbilt University

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is a very Ravens style draft pick. Elite athleticism, elite college program/conference and elite production.

Ravens love picks like this. Sig and DeCosta have become close. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of that influence led them to rank him high enough to select him.

There's a patented South Florida wiggle/speed that the Ravens like too. Lamar, Hollywood Brown, Tyler Huntley, Zay Flowers. Enrique went to American Heritage in Broward County, which is a baseball factory.

I'll start by saying I hope Bradfield and Elias prove me wrong, and that he turns out to be a great player.

I am disappointed with the pick.  I don't think he'll hit enough and get on base enough at the Major League level to have his speed matter....  And we know he won't provide any power.   I would have preferred Wilken (who went with the very next pick, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out over time) or Arjun Nimmala.  

I was disappointed with the Kjerstand and Cowser picks and was proven wrong, so I'll hope the trends continue!

• Haha 1

So much to like about this:

-True CF defense, we need two CF-quality OF between CF/LF.

-SEC track record with an elite chase rate and more BB than K’s.

-Lefty with some pull power upside; takes advantage of OPACY and new shift rules. Per that Law write up, sounds like he has some funky mechanics and more power could be unlocked, which the Orioles have been successful at. 

-80 grade speed to take advantage of new baserunning rules. 

found this with Enrique's 90th percentile EVs. Granted this is with the college bat, so not exactly sure how it would translate to wood.  I gotta recheck my data, but I think this puts him in similar territory as guys like Lindoe, India, JoRam, and Mullins - so maybe there is room to tap into double digit HRs

His swing is a little to twitchy to me and the balance isn’t that great at times it seemed looking at video but they must think they can make some adjustments to improve that as well as tap into some power.  I get a Curtis Goodwin vibe more then a Cedric Mullins vibe looking at some video.