2023 10th Round Pick (#301): Matthew Etzel - OF - (Jr) Southern Mississippi (MS)

Ranked #229 on MLB. We must’ve had some extra money to spend in the top 10 with the way the board fell. 

5 CF. 5 SP. Not bad. Premium positions and speed. Velocity for the SP and health. 

The HS guys in the top 250 will fly in the next 2 rounds. It would be nice to grab a HS SP and HS SS. 

We definitely needed some speedy CFs in the system, but I'm not sure about drafting all of these in one draft.  All these guys will start at the same affiliate, and therefore will have to move around the outfield to get playing time.  That will reduce the amount of reps they get in CF.  Would have preferred a little more diversity.

• Tony-OH changed the title to 2023 10th Round Pick (#301): Matthew Etzel - OF - (Jr) Southern Mississippi (MS)

This pick is flying under the radar a bit. I think it shows that we had a pretty good idea of what our picks in rds 1-9 we’re going to sign for and went BPA among NCAA Jrs.  

So this is good news, not just for this pick. Hopefully, it means the rest of the top 10 picks are around the same number we wanted. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=etzel-000mat

NCAA - Check

LH - Check

CF - Check

SB/Speed - Check

Contact Hitter - Check

This isn’t the usual 10k Sr sign 10th rd pick. He’s got some tools. Developing power. Notice a trend?  We’re going to try and get these hitters to their full power potential. 

He’s not a Senior. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I actually thought he might be overslot.   Sounds like we can go slot or close to 2M to get Baumeister.  I’m assuming they might be trying to get Baumeister +.

If the 8th and 9th picks are slot, then I have $2,018,100 without the 5% overage available.  Hopefully, that's enough.