2023 19th Round Pick (#571): Kollin Ritchie - SS - (HS) Atoka HS (OK)

MLB's write-up:  Atoka, Okla., has a population of 3,188 and has produced one big leaguer (Ted Blankenship, who debuted in 1922) and one draftee (Patrick Wyrick, an Expos 19th-rounder in 1999). Ritchie is the town's best prospect in years, though he was hard for scouts to get a read on. He didn't participate much on the showcase circuit and didn't face much in the way of high school competition, so he rarely has faced a fastball better than 80 mph. Ritchie does have an easy left-handed swing but just hasn't been tested much. The best pitching he has faced came at the Midwest Scouts Association Showcase last July, and he drew three full-count walks after putting on a show in batting practice. He generates plus raw power with his bat speed and strength. Ritchie has good athleticism for a 6-foot-2, 210-pounder, though he'll probably lose a bit of his present speed as he continues to mature physically. A shortstop in high school, the Oklahoma State recruit projects as a third baseman at the next level. He should become an average defender at the hot corner with arm strength to match, and he should also be able to handle left field.

Interesting comment about the difficulty scouting.  

It'll be interesting to see how much over-slot he is.  

Plate discipline...  Broke the OK HS state record in BBs held since 1977.

May be an image of basketball and text that says 'OKLAHOMA HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL RECORDS Oklahoma Baseball Coaches Association (thru 2020-21 season) Most Times Walked In A Season If you have any corrections or additions, en to to:chris@iwasatthegame.com 1. 64 Kollin Ritchie (Atoka) 2023 2. 61 Eric Percival (Northwest Classen)- 1977 3. 60 Brett Case (Preston) 2002-2003 59 Jason Crouch (hler)- 1994 5. 51 Greg Farmer (Coctaw) 1982 51 Craig Bradshaw (Northeast) 1978 7. 50 Tim Riesen (Pioneer-Pleasant Vale) 1994 50 Terry Fletcher (Woodward) 1980 9. 48 Brian Greenlee (Bishop McGuinness) 1989 10. 47 Ricky Cox (Cwder) 1994 47 Ron Aldreidge (US Grant)- 1982 Bill Dudney (Will Rogers) 1981'

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Is this guy the fall back if we can't get Witt done?  Seems like a guy who would benefit going to college, since he's played such low level competition. 

He was in for a pre-draft workout.   I think there’s a good chance he signs.     Some guys don’t want to go to college.  Could be that way with Ritchie.   I would think Witt would be the toughest sign since he can make the most money by going back to school and having a good, healthy season next year.

That’s a bit disappointing if true.

I can understand Witt, that was more of a true flier given his situation. But for a HS kid like this, I would have hoped Elias and team would have been more in tune with what it would take to sign guys away from college commitments before drafting them. If they didn’t know, this is literally a wasted pick. 

7 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

That’s a bit disappointing if true.

I can understand Witt, that was more of a true flier given his situation. But for a HS kid like this, I would have hoped Elias and team would have been more in tune with what it would take to sign guys away from college commitments before drafting them. If they didn’t know, this is literally a wasted pick. 

In rounds 19 and 20, it's worth it IMO.  $850k+ to $1.2+m can be pretty persuasive to a young man.  For Ritchie, it buys us time if nothing else.  There were 45ish picks after Witt before the end of the draft and we're the UDFA free for all.  The gap between a lock signee in round 19 and a UDFA is little more than window dressing.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

If they pay 5% over the cap that is an extra $500k or so.  They could then maybe save $200-$300k with signings.  Maybe that is enough excess to get them this kid, but I doubt for Witt and definitely doesn't seem likely for both.

I don't think signing every one of these picks is a realistic goal.  The money just isn't there in the middle of the round like it is at the top.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

In rounds 19 and 20, it's worth it IMO.  $850k+ to $1.2+m can be pretty persuasive to a young man.  For Ritchie, it buys us time if nothing else.  There were 45ish picks after Witt before the end of the draft and we're the UDFA free for all.  The gap between a lock signee in round 19 and a UDFA is little more than window dressing.

I’m not saying it’s not worth it to draft HS kids in later rounds. On the contrary, it’s very important IMO so that you get a blend of players age wise across your draft class. 

What I’m saying is I’d hope they’d would actually talk to the HS kid and his parents to see what their number is. That way you have a basis and know whether or not you can (or should) draft a given HS player, depending on how your draft is going. If he’s within range, then go for it. Seems like in this case Ritchie wasn’t. Maybe there was some disconnect or things changed from previous conversations the FO had with him or his family. 

If they didn’t talk to them at all prior to the draft, then that is just dumb and here we are with a wasted pick.  

18 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

I’m not saying it’s not worth it to draft HS kids in later rounds. On the contrary, it’s very important IMO so that you get a blend of players age wise across your draft class. 

What I’m saying is I’d hope they’d would actually talk to the HS kid and his parents to see what their number is. That way you have a basis and know whether or not you can (or should) draft a given HS player, depending on how your draft is going. If he’s within range, then go for it. Seems like in this case Ritchie wasn’t. Maybe there was some disconnect or things changed from previous conversations the FO had with him or his family. 

If they didn’t talk to them at all prior to the draft, then that is just dumb and here we are with a wasted pick.  

I am sure they spoke with him. They had him in for a workout.  But you also have to understand that some of these kids are going to bluff with a higher number than it will take.  If a team thinks they can be in the ballpark, it makes sense to take a chance.  If it turns out that the player is absolutely firm and the team can't get there, there aren't many 19th round picks that make a difference anyhow.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Ritchie was reportedly at a pre-draft workout at OPACY which leads me to believe he’s willing to sign and the Orioles knew what it would take before drafting him.  Now, whether it depended on other variables coming together, I don’t know but by the 19th round when they made the pick it sounds like the intention was to sign this kid.   I think the Witt thing was more of a flier and just taking a shot with a lot less background spent on the ability to sign.