Orioles most liked team?

Sports Guy

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

As for why the Mets are the most hated, it's because of blowing a bunch of money on all the top free agents that no one else can afford.

The Mets are among the most hated because I hate them 335 million times as much as the average American hates any other team.  The 1969 World Series - GAAAAAAH!!!!! 

• Upvote 2

I would think some teams (like the Mets and Phillies) have a lot of their own fans having a bad view of their own team.   Mets spent a lot of money and are bad and Phillies had a hot streak that made them think they were better than they really are over a full season.  

For Phillies fans in general, I think they're just bored Eagles fans.  I went to games in my passed and heard Eagles chants when games went south.  I've heard their fans talk about how terrible their team was in years with playoffs.  Saying the team couldn't be worse then the Os in the years we were getting #1 picks.  I'd argue Eagles fans are basically the worst and I've never many (any??) true Phillies fan(s).

Edited by jerios55

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, they are a feel good story.  They make the playoffs for a few years in a row and the number will drop.

I also notice a lot of the top teams have exciting, young players on them.  I don't think that's a coincidence. 

As soon as you start winning in earnest you'll take a huge hit in ratings like this.

Virginia Tech were the underdog darlings of ESPN for a while, but by 2001 the inevitable backlash came and someone else took their place as the scrappy, lovable team. Every team that wins has a large contingent of anti-rooters.

10 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

I dunno.  There are a ton of Red Sox fans here on the West Coast -- or at least there were when it was especially trendy to be a fan when they were going for the first WS title in 86 years (or however long it was).  Maybe not so much anymore.  I don't see as many Red Sox hats as I used to.  

I think that’s just it.  They came out of nowhere to become the lovable underdog in 2004 and rode that wave for 20 years slowly becoming the obnoxious wannabe Yankees.  

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I think that’s just it.  They came out of nowhere to become the lovable underdog in 2004 and rode that wave for 20 years slowly becoming the obnoxious wannabe Yankees.  

On the other hand Red Sox fans were already obnoxious before 2004 and they were completely over the top in 2005 after finally winning. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

On the other hand Red Sox fans were already obnoxious before 2004 and they were completely over the top in 2005 after finally winning. 

I have to admit I still kind of like the Red Sox if for no other reason than stealing the Yankees' thunder for the past 20 years.  We all want that thunder back for the O's and not just for a couple of seasons. 

I remember one or two Red Sox fans in the 70s and 80s living in Maryland that were always yacking about the Red Sox.  But it was pretty easy to shut them up back when the Orioles were winning the AL East a lot and even a World Series here and there.  I felt their frustration.  The Red Sox were usually good back then -- just not good enough to win the big one.

I felt like in 2004 Sox fans had a right to be over the top.  I was cheering for them.  There are 15 million people in New England (though of course maybe half of Connecticut are Yankees and Mets fans).  That's a pretty big fan base to celebrate over 80 years of futility. 

It's when they kept winning more World Series after that -- and when the Patriots started winning (not to mention the Celtics and Bruins) -- that the Red Sox started to feel a bit like the Yankees.  I still hate the Yankees and even the Blue Jays more than the Red Sox.  

17 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

Good story.  And probably safer than retorting that the O's made quick work of the Phillies in the 1983 World Series.  I think the most scared I've ever been was going to a Redskins/Eagles game at the old Vet stadium when I was 12 years old in the early 80s.  I didn't dare cheer for the Redskins at that game (not a Skins fan anymore but back then I sure was).  But those were different times.

Yep. My parents are die hard Commanders fans and they won't wear gear to Eagles games. I'm also randomly a massive Niners fan, so last NFC Championship game was brutal for me. My wife's whole family are Eagles fans. Relationships were strained to say the least.