What are your expectations by the trade deadline?

Greg Pappas

4 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

You really feel Blake Snell in his walk year will require “half their farm system”? Or for that matter Stroman or Eduardo Rodriguez?

I was told by some posters that Aroldis Chapman would require at least 1 top 100 prospects maybe as much as 3. And we see how that turned out. Sure maybe Ohtani would require significant costs in terms of prospects. But I don’t see many/if any other pitchers on the trade market who can command such hefty exchanges. 

All of the teams with the most prospects in the game right now (including the Dodgers) value prospects to a great degree within their organizational setups. They is no Dave Dombroski/Bowden or the like operating as these teams GMs who is just willing to give away the store and risk it all for the here and now. The Dodgers who have one of the sports highest payrolls don’t even operate that way under Friedman.

I said "top 10 SP". None of the three SPs that you mentioned fall into that category. Snell's at least in the balllpark when he's on his A game, but the other two you mentioned aren't even in the top 10 stratosphere.  I'm also not convinced the Padres will be sellers. 

4 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

We all know that relief pitchers are volatile assets in terms of their productivity from one season to the next, but we are talking about THIS SEASON. And acquiring a trusted/reliable pitcher who has performed well, THIS SEASON. 

I don’t doubt for a second that Elias/Sig believed that they have identified something about Fujinama that they believe can be unlocked/fixed. 

However, when we are talking about placing our postseason fate in the hands of whoever, I see that as a risk. You know like the same thinking that went into acquiring Cole Irvin. Sometimes it works out like O’Hearn and sometimes it doesn’t like Irvin, who can’t even crack the rotation and has spent half the season in AAA.

When you have a team this good, an opportunity this good, with a system this excellent; I hope that we are going to make moves beyond Fujinama that come with less risk (like actually acquiring proven players who are performing well).

Have you actually looked at Fujinama's stats since moving into the bullpen? I feel like you haven't. And you might not admit it, but you're 100% hung up on them trading for him because he's not a name you ere familar with. It's like going to the pharmacy and paying double for the name brand medication when the generic works just as well. 

• Upvote 1

Things I'd like to have for the stretch run:

1) a LH reliever who can slot in 6-7-8 innings (depending on matchups) who has the ability to strike guys out.

2) a LH starter who has enough upside to slot into the rotation at 2 or 3. Be someone we are confident to start a playoff game.

3) another relief pitcher who can provide innings as the younger SP like Wells and Rodriguez begin to hit innings limits.

So I'd like to see 3 more pitchers. I don't know what to "expect" though.

21 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Have you actually looked at Fujinama's stats since moving into the bullpen? I feel like you haven't. And you might not admit it, but you're 100% hung up on them trading for him because he's not a name you ere familar with. It's like going to the pharmacy and paying double for the name brand medication when the generic works just as well. 

Almost like how some people think they'll only receive something of value if they choose an expensive option without actually considering their needs and how a lower-priced option might suit those needs. And those same people might be found impulsively splurging because they've convinced themselves there's a urgent need that will at long last be solved by this one thing if only they buy it right now--cost be damned.

Oh wait, we're talking about baseball?

Baltimore SP - fingers crossed - endured no real injury so far (one can argument the Means setback or Bradish injury here)! One Injury/shutdown -then what? Don't see any plan B if this happens. Lot depends on GR getting it done this time. I think we need some SP flexibility!
Hence my hope: please 1 average starter at reasonable cost - no overpaid TOR - as insurrance / Gibson upgrade / moving piece.

51 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Almost like how some people think they'll only receive something of value if they choose an expensive option without actually considering their needs and how a lower-priced option might suit those needs. And those same people might be found impulsively splurging because they've convinced themselves there's a urgent need that will at long last be solved by this one thing if only they buy it right now--cost be damned.

Oh wait, we're talking about baseball?

The funny thing it's even a sillier approach (in life and in baseball) with all the resources that we have at our disposal. We live in an era where you can research something to death with a few simple clicks. I just wish folks would use some of that time to research players, look at statcast data, etc. before they pass judgement. Or maybe I'm asking too much? I'm not sure I'd stay as plugged in to MLB in general and the other teams, their farm systems, etc., if I didn't play fantasy baseball. 

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

I said "top 10 SP". None of the three SPs that you mentioned fall into that category. Snell's at least in the balllpark when he's on his A game, but the other two you mentioned aren't even in the top 10 stratosphere.  I'm also not convinced the Padres will be sellers. 

I thought that you meant to 10 available starting pitchers. My apologies.

I don’t think too many teams are interested in trading 10 pitchers are who are the top 10 in the game range, unless they are facing signability issues (sort of like maybe Ohtani).

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

I feel like you would be wrong. Check them first thing this morning.

Now you are going to tell me what I am 100% about? You know a lot about me apparently more than me. Or at least you think you do.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I feel like you would be wrong. Check them first thing this morning.

Now you are going to tell me what I am 100% about? You know a lot about me apparently more than me. Or at least you think you do.

Look, it wasn't my intention to strike a nerve, but didn't you specifically say that you refuse to watch A's games in an earlier comment? Why would I assume that you pay attention to their player's stats then? . 

9 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

I believe the trade yesterday with the A's for Fujinami, much like the Cole Irvin trade, may be the sort of low cost acquisitions Elias will target as we approach the deadline.  Low cost meaning in purported prospect value at the time of each trade.  I don't expect we'll see Elias deal any blue chip prospects and will instead keep his great prospects to sort out at in Baltimore into the Winter/Spring, and perhaps next year's deadline. I would favor this approach over adding costly rentals.  Yet, if the targets were guys with controllable years beyond this season, I could get on board.

What are your expectations?

Agree with the OP - I expect the team to improve at the margins in the rotation and bullpen and give up a lot less than they are capable of.

I would not be surprised if there are as many as three pitching additions with one starter and two more in the pen.  But all smaller deals.

2 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Look, it wasn't my intention to strike a nerve, but didn't you specifically say that you refuse to watch A's games in an earlier comment? Why would I assume that you pay attention to their player's stats then? . 

When said A’s player is traded to the O’s it naturally would catch my attention/interest like I guess it did your’s and many other O’s fans.

I like you hope for the best as it relates to the new accusation and I am very confident that Elias and Sig identified something that they believe they can work with and make him effective. They’ve done it with a few relievers before. I just hope that they are not done with adding to the bullpen and staff in general.

My expectations are low, very low. I think they are focusing more on the long term than the short term, Elias loves having an overflowing cabinet of minor league talent, the Orioles seem to have very little money to spend, and the majority of deadline trades don’t move the needle at all even if you trade for a good player. I think Elias et al take their usual analytical approach to the cost and benefits including with regards to their long term plans and don’t trade for a big name/an expensive player.