My Thoughts on Today’s Game

RZNJ

15 minutes ago, purplepittabread88 said:

now that we are done with the big Al east series id love us to chill on Yano and Bautista a bit even if it means blowing a save or two. Would be a great a way to give a guy the opportunity to rise up. Idk if this is crazy, but I’d rather be super fresh healthy and rested as a wild card then win the division by pushing to hard 

don’t get me wrong I still want the east but jeez let “King Felix” chill now

By winning the division we will get a buy in round 1 of the playoffs thus getting time to rest then. IMO that kind of "rest" would be far more advantageous. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

By winning the division we will get a buy in round 1 of the playoffs thus getting time to rest then. IMO that kind of "rest" would be far more advantageous. 

Definitely would be great for the ws chances, I also just really want to get a series win. Started watching the birds in 2015 so I’m deprived 

8 minutes ago, purplepittabread88 said:

Definitely would be great for the ws chances, I also just really want to get a series win. Started watching the birds in 2015 so I’m deprived 

2015...lol

I've been watching/attending games since 1988! And some longer than me without a Series appearance. Get in line...lol

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

7/24. 3-2 win

I forgive you Danny Coulombe.  You’ve been great all year.   You didn’t beat yourself tonight.   Your command was off but you still didn’t walk anyone.   Bryan Baker, on the other hand, ain’t smart.   Good slider.  Good fastball.  Loves his changeup which he can never throw for a strike.   You get ahead of Nick Castellanos 0-2 with the 2nd pitch being a 97 mph blown past him top of the zone.   Do we try the same pitch or even a few inches higher?   No let’s aim for the outside corner with sliders and a changeup.   Baker was my goat if we lost tonight.

Great job by Kremer, Westburg (homer and defense) Cowser, and Mountcastle.   Pérez is saving his spot and got it done which brings me to my next problem.

It seems like every time there’s a big, tough play, late in a game, Mr. Fielding Bible winner Jorge Mateo doesn’t make it.   Sure, it would have been a really nice play to end the game.  I’m sure it was smoked.  But if he’s not going to make plays like that and the one off of Fuji in Tampa then you’re pretty much out of redeeming qualities for me.    

I agree with every word you wrote.  That sequence by Baker was infuriating.  

As to Mateo, that’s at least the third play in the last 8 days he didn’t make that he would have made last year.  I’m not saying they should have been scored as errors, but he needs to make plays like those to justify his occasional playing time.  And by the way, his relay throw home in the 8th was not a good throw, though MCCann made a great play to nab Harper by an inch on a play that shouldn’t have been that close.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As to Mateo, that’s at least the third play in the last 8 days he didn’t make that he would have made last year.  I’m not saying they should have been scored as errors, but he needs to make plays like those to justify his occasional playing time.  And by the way, his relay throw home in the 8th was not a good throw, though MCCann made a great play to nab Harper by an inch on a play that shouldn’t have been that close.

Thank God the Phillies wasted their challenge in the 7th on a play with no chance of being overturned.  Great tag attempt by MCCann but I need to watch that a few more times.   I thought Harper looked safe.  Probably one of those calls that goes whichever way it was called on the field.

They also never saw the replay of the Hicks play (poor guy gets to balls but can’t hold onto the ball) and that was a no doubt challenge overturn.

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Thank God the Phillies wasted their challenge in the 7th on a play with no chance of being overturned.  Great tag attempt by MCCann but I need to watch that a few more times.   I thought Harper looked safe.  Probably one of those calls that goes whichever way it was called on the field.

They also never saw the replay of the Hicks play (poor guy gets to balls but can’t hold onto the ball) and that was a no doubt challenge overturn.

What is the rule on the Hicks play? Looked to me like he had it, hit the ground, still had it, then as he used his glove hand for leverage against the ground to try and get up the ball popped out.

Just now, Fan4Life said:

What is the rule on the Hicks play? Looked to me like he had it, hit the ground, still had it, then as he used his glove hand for leverage against the ground to try and get up the ball popped out.

No way that was a catch.  He never had control of it and it came out right away when his glove hit the ground.   He didn’t catch it cleanly in the air.  It hit the inside of his glove but he was never able to squeeze it.

4 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Release wasn't voluntary or intentional.  No catch.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No way that was a catch.  He never had control of it and it came out right away when his glove hit the ground.   He didn’t catch it cleanly in the air.  It hit the inside of his glove but he was never able to squeeze it.

I didn't see it that way. Just watched the replay.  Ball is in glove and on the ground.  As he applied weight to the glove hand to start to regain his balance it pops out. It still might not be a catch.. but the ground didn't cause the pop out to me.

image.png.f91e11c90b383689613518b20995d081.png

Edited by Fan4Life

3 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

I didn't see it that way. Just watched the replay.  Ball is in glove and on the ground.  As he applied weight to the glove hand to start to regain his balance it pops out. It still might not be a catch.. but the ground didn't cause the pop out to me.

image.png.f91e11c90b383689613518b20995d081.png

A photo might be worth a thousand words but a video is worth 10,000.  Watch the video on mlb.  The ball rolls out of his glove right away is it huts the ground because he never had it secured in spite of the impression that still shot gets you.   That is not a catch.  Never will be.

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Go check Cowser's throw-in.

• Upvote 1