Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

It's easy to take shots at the city, but you and I both know that it's not like any ballplayer or their families are going to be living in any proximity to Omar, Bodie and Wallace.  

And while Baltimore isn't cosmopolitan, it's a short trip to NYC where Kate probably needs to spend a fair amount of time anyway.  

I’m not saying Verlander would decline it..but I just wouldn’t be surprised if he did. 

What if the issue on the Verlander front (let's assume he is saying yes) is the O's actually want to take the money on for a lesser prospect exchange, and the Mets would rather pay something for better prospects?

The O's are an extremely cost efficient team for the next 2-3 years and this team has shown the ability to spend 2.5x the current payroll in the past thus making it stand to reason they can take on money. 

I'm just thinking outside the box here, but possible?

Elias and Sig obviously love their prospects.

With that said, they actually have experience in trading for Verlander (thought to be in decline at the time) and going on to win the World Series. Even with it being six years later, if they determine that he's worth acquiring, with how protective they are of their prospects, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Verlander is not AS dominant as he was, but he'd still be leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else we'd run out in Game 1 of any playoff series IMO.

4 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

No freaking way.   The only way one of those guys should be dealt is if we're receiving a young, controllable starter. 

I don’t disagree with you but I agree the Mets want top prospects. Maybe the Tigers will come down on their price but it seems like people want the pieces that will hurt us to depart with. If the Mets pay 20 million of his salary the next couple years that could be worth signing Blake Snell this offseason.

3 minutes ago, dzorange said:

That's not gonna get it done. There's nothing to regret because it's not realistic.

I think something like that it is if we get sweet Pete (John) to absorb salary.  Essentially you buy down the prospects with cash….  Maybe you add Norby, but not one of the big guns.     

Edited by Keygans
Pop up ads got me

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Why?  

Is this some not-so-thinly veiled shot at the safety of the city?  Or is it just not cosmopolitan enough for Kate Upton?

THE LATTER.......... 

But it's more the money he's owed and less the lure of the block.

The safety of the city thing is overblown IMO. The stadium is on the periphery of the city, accessible via 95, in/out and you're GTG. He could rent an apartment in Columbia or something. It's not like the player's lot isn't secure. He isn't walking to a garage in Lexington Market post-game. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Keygans said:

Sadly , I think IF we get him we overpay.   But… I think the reason he doesn’t come is the NTC

Oh, I think any trade we make the majority of the board is going to label it an "overpay."  Elias alluded to that when he mentioned the O's are "willing to stretch."

For me, I'm more concerned about who we give up than who we get, in a way.

I do not want to give up anybody above Norby.

If we give up an Ortiz/Mayo/Kjerstaad we better be getting back a cost controlled starter.