Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

That's your opinion. I happen to have a different one. I am not of the philosophy/opinion that we should not accept any risk, constantly hedge our bets, and horde any prospect with significant value regardless of how many other similar prospects/players you have at the same position.

I'm not accusing you of holding those opinions (I have no idea). But since you felt the need to share you opinion, I figured I would share mine. Just for the sake of mutuality. 😉

That's totally fair. But I don't see it as hording prospects. Everything has a value attached. And I don't want them to give up more value than they get back. It's that simple. I have no doubt that many of our top prospects, were available for the right return. But it's obvious that teams miscalculated the value of their pitching assets, otherwise Rodriguez and Cease would have new teams. 

And speaking of risk, Scherzer carries more than that prospect risk, he carries a significant financial risk as well. And that's more than the Angelos' being cheap. Anyways, I am not going to waste any more words on Scherzer and Verlander. Those were non-starters for many reasons.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That probably is a reference of the CHI SOX asking for Jackson Holliday to be included in a trade for Dylan Cease, which to me equates to the SOX never really being serious about trading Cease. Good luck to them for the next 2 seasons with him. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not sure how Flaherty is going to work out as a rental, but I am inclined to give it some time to see. Flaherty has a .346 BABIP this year, so it might be a combination of bad Cardinals defense and some bad luck. BB9 of 4.4 and K9 is 8.7, so roughly 2:1. HR/9 is .8, so pretty good there.

He was one of the best young pitchers in MLB in 2019, but threw 190 plus innings at 23 yoa, and 151 innings in 2018. He has had some shoulder issues in the past few years, but averaging about 5.1 innings per start this year.

He’s a native of Los Angeles, so maybe he wants to go back to the west coast, who knows. I noticed the 4S velo is 92-93, and he barely uses the change up at just over 2% of the time. He has a solid knuckle-curve, and a decent slider. The statcast numbers aren’t great, good extension though. 

I hope they can help him be a better version of himself for the remainder of 2023, and perhaps he signs to come back on a reasonable deal to see if they can get him even better. 

8 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I’m not sure how Flaherty is going to work out as a rental, but I am inclined to give it some time to see. Flaherty has a .346 BABIP this year, so it might be a combination of bad Cardinals defense and some bad luck. BB9 of 4.4 and K9 is 8.7, so roughly 2:1. HR/9 is .8, so pretty good there.

He was one of the best young pitchers in MLB in 2019, but threw 190 plus innings at 23 yoa, and 151 innings in 2018. He has had some shoulder issues in the past few years, but averaging about 5.1 innings per start this year.

He’s a native of Los Angeles, so maybe he wants to go back to the west coast, who knows. I noticed the 4S velo is 92-93, and he barely uses the change up at just over 2% of the time. He has a solid knuckle-curve, and a decent slider. The statcast numbers aren’t great, good extension though. 

I hope they can help him be a better version of himself for the remainder of 2023, and perhaps he signs to come back on a reasonable deal to see if they can get him even better. 

Agree.  He has potential.  He has show past skillzzzz.  Can that be resurrected?

Time will tell.

As far as these teams that didn't pull the trigger like the White sox and others who were trying to sell?

Chances are in a year they will be  losers, and in 2 and 3 years they will be as well.

People and teams always over estimate the players they are fans of who they control. 

Chances are almost none will work out.

I applaud Mike E for hanging tight 100% and imo this strategy will pay off handsomely in the next few years. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Upvote 1

Can't fault CWS for not feeling they needed to trade Cease.  They have him for 2 more years, so no gun to their heads to move him.  DET, however, screwed the pooch.  They could have come off their price point a bit once ERod nixed the Dodger deal.  Taking whatever BAL was offering makes a ton more sense that ending up empty handed, IMO.  

Just now, Number5 said:

Can't fault CWS for not feeling they needed to trade Cease.  They have him for 2 more years, so no gun to their heads to move him.  DET, however, screwed the pooch.  They could have come off their price point a bit once ERod nixed the Dodger deal.  Taking whatever BAL was offering makes a ton more sense that ending up empty handed, IMO.  

Word is ERod likes it there and they might be working on an extension.

I don't understand the frustration / disappointment by some. Short of Verlander, Scherzer and "maybe" Giolito there's a very good chance Flaherty is just as good (from this point on) as any other SP that was traded. And that includes E-Rod, who wasn't traded. They can go get their controllable, young SP (via signing or trade) in the offseason. My only concern is the bullpen, mostly because I think Cano is toast. If they promote Hall and put in the pen though, that might be enough of a short term solution. 

If you're truly upset the team didn't make a blockbuster move/trade high end prospects then I honestly don't know what to tell you. That's not the gameplan for sustained success with this team. Maybe find another team to root for rather than continuing to beat your head against the wall and expecting something to happen that never will. 

4 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Why? They can rinse and repeat and entertain offers for him next season. And more importantly, maybe he gets to a better start next season. The only way the White Sox were trading Cease this season was if they were overwhelmed, and that was probably the correct approach to take. 

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

I don't understand the frustration / disappointment by some. Short of Verlander, Scherzer and "maybe" Giolito there's a very good chance Flaherty is just as good (from this point on) as any other SP that was traded. And that includes E-Rod, who wasn't traded. They can go get their controllable, young SP (via signing or trade) in the offseason. My only concern is the bullpen, mostly because I think Cano is toast. If they promote Hall and put in the pen though, that might be enough of a short term solution. 

If you're truly upset the team didn't make a blockbuster move/trade high end prospects then I honestly don't know what to tell you. That's not the gameplan for sustained success with this team. Maybe find another team to root for rather than continuing to beat your head against the wall and expecting something to happen that never will. 

Or maybe they will once again choose not to do so.

Given the track record which do you think is more likely?

I also don't think, for a second, that there is a "very good chance" Flahery is just as good as ERod.  There is a chance sure, but a very good chance?