Why isn't Ortiz in Baltimore instead of Mateo?

Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

not defending him at all, think he needs to be replaced by Ortiz, but Mateo didnt cost us the game...Fuji did...especially with 2 outs...he walks a a lot of batters and hit two back to back...

He should never have been put in that situation.  Ridiculous.  He isn’t a guy to go to in a jam.  He needs a clean inning to work out his control.  He’s going to walk one guy darn near every inning. 

Edited by emmett16

30 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Westburg played more games at SS than all other positions combined at Norfolk this year.  He won't see any time there unless Gunnar and Ortiz both go down.  Urias has also played there although not recently.  Thinness really isn't an issue.  Nor is team chemistry IMO.

Case could be made Mateo is currently the fifth best SS in the organization. The Orioles would never do it and I don't want them to either, but Jackson Holliday would be a better SS than Mateo right now.

If Mateo was playing defense like he did last year, I would have no major issues with keeping him on the team as a utility/pinch runner. I don't think Mateo is going anywhere, so at the very least, I want to see him flash the glove from last season.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

not defending him at all, think he needs to be replaced by Ortiz, but Mateo didnt cost us the game...Fuji did...especially with 2 outs...he walks a a lot of batters and hit two back to back...

I think the debate here is not just about this game. He hasn't hit in a while and his defense has been ordinary for a while.

2 hours ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I think it’s a combination of how it affects team chemistry, and the fact that Mateo has no options. If Mateo had options, I think they would have already sent him down and brought Ortiz up. If you let Mateo go, it starts to feel a little bit thin at SS though. If there are injuries, they could be forced to rush Holliday to the majors, and I think we all know they don’t want to do that. 

Jordan Westburg is perfectly capable of playing Shortstop if needed. Jackson Holliday (19 years old) won't be ready until 2024 at the earliest. Jackson has to refine his fielding skills before he's ready for the Big Time.

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

Jordan Westburg is perfectly capable of playing Shortstop if needed. Jackson Holliday (19 years old) won't be ready until 2024 at the earliest. Jackson has to refine his fielding skills before he's ready for the Big Time.

Ramon Urias can play shortstop too.

46 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He should never have been put in that situation.  Ridiculous.  He isn’t a guy to go to in a jam.  He needs a clean inning to work our his control.  He’s going to walk at one guy every darn near every inning. 

In the last month or so, he went 12 consecutive outings (14 IP) without walking a single batter.

He’d also successfully stranded all his inherited runners in 8 of the 11 games he entered with men on base coming into today’s game. He had a “clean inning” every time he worked as a starter, and with all due respect to the inimitable Brett Hinchcliffe, he might have been the worst SP in MLB history. I don’t think that’s the issue. Not the whole issue, anyway.

I do agree that there’s some sort of mental issue there, though. He obviously puts a ton of pressure on himself, and when things start to go off the rails, he doesn’t appear to have any ability to control the skid. It was pretty evident from about 2-3 pitches in that we were watching a slow-motion trainwreck that he was powerless to avoid.

It's beyond Jorge Mateo at this point.

Joey Ortiz has a .998 OPS at AAA this year after putting up a .967 OPS last year at AAA. And he's the best defender on the field every night. At 25 years old.

He has nothing left to prove or learn in minor league baseball. Call him up and find playing time for him.

34 minutes ago, e16bball said:

In the last month or so, he went 12 consecutive outings (14 IP) without walking a single batter.

He’d also successfully stranded all his inherited runners in 8 of the 11 games he entered with men on base coming into today’s game. He had a “clean inning” every time he worked as a starter, and with all due respect to the inimitable Brett Hinchcliffe, he might have been the worst SP in MLB history. I don’t think that’s the issue. Not the whole issue, anyway.

I do agree that there’s some sort of mental issue there, though. He obviously puts a ton of pressure on himself, and when things start to go off the rails, he doesn’t appear to have any ability to control the skid. It was pretty evident from about 2-3 pitches in that we were watching a slow-motion trainwreck that he was powerless to avoid.

He has walked 5 batters in 6.2 IP since the trade.  Not the guy I want out there in a jam.  

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

He’s capable, but I don’t think the orioles want to see him there. I feel like Westburg and Urias are both guys that the team views as 2B/3B only. 

Just now, waroriole said:

Is it still a thing where guys can be traded after the deadline? Not that we could get anything for Mateo anyway. 

He can be DFA’d and traded within 10 days but the player has to be outside of the 40 man roster.

Guarantee we could get something. They just got Rinehart for someone with less value than Mateo.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He can be DFA’d and traded within 10 days but the player has to be outside of the 40 man roster.

Guarantee we could get something. They just got Rinehart for someone with less value than Mateo.

Do we have to DFA? Is there a revocable waivers that’s done quietly?