Why isn't Ortiz in Baltimore instead of Mateo?

Greg Pappas

21 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I made up my mind? About what? I think if you read the posts that I made in this thread, you will not see any negative word that I wrote about Joey Ortiz. 

However, what you might instead read is an attempt to manage expectations in terms of what may be realistic for a young player/prospect (though highly talented) will see be adjusting to the highest level of competition that he has ever faced.

Whose expectations are you managing?  

The general expectation is “better than Mateo” for now then see what happens.  Some think differently than you (and maybe different than consensus and have explained why).  And that’s ok right?  So much is subjective anyway beyond the stats (and even then…).  

13 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Whose expectations are you managing?  

The general expectation is “better than Mateo” for now then see what happens.  Some think differently than you (and maybe different than consensus and have explained why).  And that’s ok right?  So much is subjective anyway beyond the stats (and even then…).  

👍

4 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I started not to respond because the quote is a little unconnected but I give you kudos for knowing that quote!

Now back to baseball, what correlation have you personally found between what Gunnar did at AAA and what he did for the first 2 months of the season? What was the correlation between Westburg's 17 home runs at AAA this season and the one he has hit during his month with the Orioles? Any correlation between what Cowser did at AAA this season and what he has done during his short stay with the O's?

I'm open to hearing your opinion and if you desire to add a brilliant quote from a philosopher/painter/politician/humanitarian/whoever along with that I welcome that as well.

The correlation is that players who suck at AAA do not do as well in MLB as players who do good at AAA.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

Now that the trade deadline has come and gone and we didn’t move any middle infielders, what is the plan? Mateo is what he is. I want to see Ortiz get some regular mlb playing time. 

This.  If Elias believes in Ortiz as he has said, the question of the thread remains.  Hopefully he'll be up this week and wondering why Ortiz remains in AAA will go the way of the dodo. 😉 

• Greg Pappas changed the title to Why isn't Ortiz in Baltimore instead of Mateo?

Put Mateo thru waivers and send him back to AAA to get everyday playing time and see if he can get some semblance of his defensive game back. If he gets claimed, so be it.

Bring up Ortiz and start him. He can't be worse defensively than Mateo has been recently and he will certainly be an upgrade offensively.

Edited by bluedog
  • Upvote 1