Kevin Brown

Srey

I harken back to the time when Ben read a fifteen second commercial and when finished be said,"Boy, that's more than I read when I was at LSU."  Ben offers no pretense of being other than what he is.   

17 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I actually thought it was amusing because Kevin got Ben to talk about "Love Language"...its funny...I believe Ben's wife is either a doctor or therapist or some sort of highly educated person..and it shows Ben as a " country boy"...Once I had Ben on my show...and Ben gave me(on the air) a recipe for "Squirrel Stew".it was a riot...I think baseball announcers should have leeway and be able to digress from the game...Harry Caray and Steve Stone did it all the time...I love Kevin Brown...but you know that...but between Palmer and Ben..I think we have a very entertaining team...

Vin Scully as well. I miss him so much. KB and Ben are awesome as well.

1 hour ago, thegardner said:

Did you hear Kevin asking Ben about his favorite books during Saturdays game?   I think the polite way to describe it would be uncomfortable disaster, and even worse when it became obvious that this was a rotten line of questioning... he just kept going.   We are tuning in to watch the game, please talk about baseball.

That would be the polite way to describe it. Oddly enough, I thought Brown had kept the awkward non-baseball chatter to a minimum so far this year. 

He was mocking BM. It wasn’t amusing or cute. His cultural references often seem forced, but his needling was arrogant and pompous. 

I switched broadcasts. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On the plus side, after Colton Cowser popped up from his slide about 5 feet away from 2B and hopped around the tag and got his right foot on the bag: “We just learned that you don’t play Twister with Colton Cowser.”

6 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I wonder what Kevin is like when he drinks. We have not gotten drunk Kevin Brown, and I’m a little disappointed by that 

Funny you mention that, because I'm 99% certain we got drunk Ben McDonald the day we beat Tampa in extras to take the season series from them. 

I don't think KB is much of a drinker. I looked at his Twitter a while ago, and I think he is or was a big runner.

6 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I wonder what Kevin is like when he drinks. We have not gotten drunk Kevin Brown, and I’m a little disappointed by that 

Gary spoiled us all.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I actually thought it was amusing because Kevin got Ben to talk about "Love Language"...its funny...I believe Ben's wife is either a doctor or therapist or some sort of highly educated person..and it shows Ben as a " country boy"...Once I had Ben on my show...and Ben gave me(on the air) a recipe for "Squirrel Stew".it was a riot...I think baseball announcers should have leeway and be able to digress from the game...Harry Caray and Steve Stone did it all the time...I love Kevin Brown...but you know that...but between Palmer and Ben..I think we have a very entertaining team...

I liked the "Love Language" too.  And your squirrel reference is well placed.  Kevin is good with banter, but he does release the occasional "squirrel" to chase.  Sometimes the chase goes well, as I think it did with the "Love Language," but there are swings and misses, yet I can't place a specific miss. lol  But Kevin does get the guys chasing squirrels from time to time during the game, but I appreciate the diversion and also that the game call isn't interrupted by it as one never loses track of counts or game situations during the banter - much like the Vin Scully diversion that #Orioles4Life21 posted.  We all do this in talking to friends or posting on the game thread as the game goes by.

I must admit, I miss the "radio-guy" voice of Gary Thorne and I enjoyed his banter as well.  When something cracked him up, that was pure gold.

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Fun fact: if squirrel makes you squeamish, it can be replaced with rabbit or raccoon in the same stew recipe.  Rabbit tastes a bit more like chicken.  But if you have some fresh venison that is a delicacy.  

Yeah, I grew up in the backwoods.  My Dad had one rule: if you kill it you eat it.

Edited by yark14
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, yark14 said:

Fun fact: if squirrel makes you squeamish, it can be replaced with rabbit or raccoon in the same stew recipe.  Rabbit tastes a bit more like chicken.  But if you have some fresh venison that is a delicacy.  

Yeah, I grew up in the backwoods.  My Dad had one rule: if you kill it you eat it.

I’ve had garrobo (iguana) stew down in Nicaragua once or twice.   Also, gator bits down in Florida.  It’s all palatable if you deep fry it or douse it in a tangy sauce.   “Tastes like chicken.”