Could Elias call up our 19-year old SS phenom?

Greg Pappas

5 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Elias may hold him down because he knows ownership won’t make an effort to extend him.  Or he may be flat out told to hold him down until mid-season.  I don’t think we can rule anything out with John Angelos. 

I doubt this is a real issue. How easy it is for us to forget that just this time last year Gunnar was the top prospect in baseball. Look at how they handled his rookie year.

The new service time rules are aimed at deterring manipulation like this. I think it’s more likely that they handle Holliday similarly to Gunnar than how they handled prospects in the past. The Adley situation burned a controllable year of him. They won’t make that mistake again.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I doubt this is a real issue. How easy it is for us to forget that just this time last year Gunnar was the top prospect in baseball. Look at how they handled his rookie year.

The new service time rules are aimed at deterring manipulation like this. I think it’s more likely that they handle Holliday similarly to Gunnar than how they handled prospects in the past. The Adley situation burned a controllable year of him. They won’t make that mistake again.   

Yeah, hopefully he’s handled more like Gunnar than Adley. 

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Would you rather have a 26 year old Jackson Holliday in a pennant race in 2030, or an extra draft pick at the end of the first round in 2025?

Seems like a pretty easy decision to me.

The new CBA’s service time rules incentivize clubs’ OD promotion of players. If Holliday is making a case for a promotion in 2023 (and one could argue that he is in fact doing so now) we would be foolish to think that he won’t be doing it again next year. If they wait to promote him and he finishes in 2nd in ROY voting, they lose a year of service time. So in your scenario, they wouldn’t have him in 2030. 

9 minutes ago, banks703 said:

The new CBA’s service time rules incentivize clubs’ OD promotion of players. If Holliday is making a case for a promotion in 2023 (and one could argue that he is in fact doing so now) we would be foolish to think that he won’t be doing it again next year. If they wait to promote him and he finishes in 2nd in ROY voting, they lose a year of service time. So in your scenario, they wouldn’t have him in 2030. 

If he comes up mid-July, he won't be finishing top 2 of the ROY.

If you start him on the OD roster next year you and he wins ROY or finishes 2nd, which seems to be an accepted fait accompli, you get him for 5 pennant races, and a 2nd round draft pick.  He'd enter FA as a 24 year old, and would be looking at a record contract, which would realistically price him out of Baltimore.

If you bring him up strategically so that he doesn't have a real shot at a ROY award, then you can control him for 7 pennant races, and have significantly more leverage to try to get an extension.

It's a no-brainer imo.