Game of the year?

Moose Milligan

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed.  We didn't get lucky or steal one.  We eked it out.

And yes, we have Felix.

Insert some try hard quote from Kevin Brown about having the right King Felix here.

He said after the final out "It was always Felix's night". Which I actually kinda thought was a perfect call. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed.  We didn't get lucky or steal one.  We eked it out.

And yes, we have Felix.

Insert some try hard quote from Kevin Brown about having the right King Felix here.

I'm on vacation down in Nagshead so didn't see the game but I did watch highlights. At the very end of the game, I thought it was funny when Brown said "It truly was a Felix night!" 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm on vacation down in Nagshead so didn't see the game but I did watch highlights. At the very end of the game, I thought it was funny when Brown said "It truly was a Felix night!" 

He was careful not to say "there's a new King Felix" or whatever it was that those Seattle radio guys had a problem with. I guess our Felix wasn't bothered.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He was careful not to say "there's a new King Felix" or whatever it was that those Seattle radio guys had a problem with. I guess our Felix wasn't bothered.

Yeah, but I think that was a playful dig over the "uproar" that he caused before about the new King Felix.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, but I think that was a playful dig over the "uproar" that he caused before about the new King Felix.

It absolutely was.

Also, I think Hyde himself has declared "game of the year" at least two different times so far this season. There have been at least a half-dozen extraordinary wins this season. It's been a fun ride. 

Plus, as a 49ers fan, it always gives me great pleasure to stick a dagger into Seattle fans.

I think it’s the game of the year for a few reasons:

While it’s not a game against the Yankees or a game in our division, it’s still a very formidable opponent that is always tough for us.  It was a playoff type atmosphere, as close as you can probably get to that type of feeling in mid-August. We did it in their house and I don’t care what anyone says, flying across country from east to west isn’t optimal. We did it the night after we got thrashed. That’s one thing I’ve always appreciated about Hyde’s teams, they can get their brains beat in one night and come back the next day like nothing happened. 

Irvin stepped up and delivered an immense performance, he was matching Kirby inning for inning.  And I know we’ve been shut out this season but I think that was easily the best pitching performance against us by an opponent.  Our bullpen was nails through middle innings until the end, capping it with a vintage Felix performance.  

The defense was air tight.  The much maligned Mateo made an outstanding play, doing the jump throw from the hole. Cano made a great play off the mound.  Gunnar kept the tag on that runner to secure that out at second base on the steal attempt.

As gratifying as a walkoff against the Yankees or hanging 14 on them?  Maybe not.  But the Yankees are pretty pathetic this year, they haven’t been a threat for awhile now and they’re all but officially eliminated from a playoff berth.  They’re sleepwalking to the end of the season.  The Mariners are the hottest team in the game right now. 

So those are my reasons I’ve got it as the game of the year so far.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Didn’t we have a huge win in Seattle in 2014 as well? Maybe it was closer to the end of the season but I def remember being up late watching one that I deemed an unbelievable win.

I remember that 18 inning one in Seattle during our stretch run. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

While it’s not a game against the Yankees or a game in our division, it’s still a very formidable opponent that is always tough for us.  It was a playoff type atmosphere, as close as you can probably get to that type of feeling in mid-August. We did it in their house and I don’t care what anyone says, flying across country from east to west isn’t optimal. We did it the night after we got thrashed. That’s one thing I’ve always appreciated about Hyde’s teams, they can get their brains beat in one night and come back the next day like nothing happened. 

Irvin stepped up and delivered an immense performance, he was matching Kirby inning for inning.  And I know we’ve been shut out this season but I think that was easily the best pitching performance against us by an opponent.  Our bullpen was nails through middle innings until the end, capping it with a vintage Felix performance.  

The defense was air tight.  The much maligned Mateo made an outstanding play, doing the jump throw from the hole. Cano made a great play off the mound.  Gunnar kept the tag on that runner to secure that out at second base on the steal attempt.

As gratifying as a walkoff against the Yankees or hanging 14 on them?  Maybe not.  But the Yankees are pretty pathetic this year, they haven’t been a threat for awhile now and they’re all but officially eliminated from a playoff berth.  They’re sleepwalking to the end of the season.  The Mariners are the hottest team in the game right now. 

I would go with most improbable on paper or something like that. Irvin taking down Kirby was definitely a massive coup and fun to watch.

I still go with the Santander game. Yankees were still in contention at the time. I'd still rather have won that game than this one. And there were more great defensive plays. Still, both great games, no need to pick. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It was a gut-check game... at precisely the point in time when the rest of the word is looking to see if they've lost their nerve. If maybe the prognosticators were right. Maybe they're just a bunch of over-achievers.... Maybe it was even a chance to make the team submit to a collapse of self-doubt.

But they were having none of it.

• Upvote 1