Oakland Series II

Frobby

20 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I  was going to say the same thing.  Any team 50 games under .500  is a prime target to be swept even in their own back yard.  You aim for 2 of  3  or better from good teams.    You aim to sweep a poor team like this.    Anything less than that shows a lack of the killer instinct,  and questions just how far they will go in the post season.  

Last July the Astros got swept by the A’s in Oakland.

I'm surprised we didn't get to see Mateo tonight with the way the A's had a bullpen game and all the Orioles hitters were hitting.  An opponent like the A's is a good opportunity to get him going again and improve.

In other news, Hyde said he pulled Santander tonight because he noticed he wasn't moving as well as normal and Anthony was feeling a little stiff/sore. So Hyde wanted to get him off his feet and give him a little more rest by pulling him in the 5th inning.

11 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I was very unimpressed with Gibson. He seems gassed. A better team would've had him on the ropes.(again)..and we got lucky with Oakland's baserunner falling down...in one instance...

You beat bad teams by taking advantage of their badness.  That’s what we did.  I’m not going to turn my nose up at this win.

Gibson wasn’t that sharp, and I agree that a better team might have taken more advantage than the A’s did.  I’m not going to jump to conclusions about him being gassed just because he’s had two tough starts in a row   That can happen any time of year.   With an off-day Monday and a six-man rotation, he won’t pitch again for a week.  We’ll see how he looks then.

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I was very unimpressed with Gibson. He seems gassed. A better team would've had him on the ropes.(again)..and we got lucky with Oakland's baserunner falling down...in one instance...

He fell down because he was going to be thrown out at the plate.

6 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

He didn’t fall down he slid to stop because he was going to be dead meat at the plate if he kept going. 

A five run win on the road in the majors is not luck, no matter who the opponent is.