John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

See, SG, The NY Times is good for something!  😉

The truth is, we won’t be able to keep the whole young core forever.  But we can certainly keep some of it.   

lol..they aren’t keeping any of it. You think he’s going to pay Boras prices?

Him saying that is as valuable as the NYT is. :) 

The problem is, he’s a GD liar. They absolutely can do it. This is all posturing trying to get his way and if he doesn’t get it, he’s going to hold the team (and thus the fans) hostage. We better win soon because Elias is gone soon and we are going to be back in the doldrums again. 

You would figure he would just sell but he’s not going to. He probably feeds off the hatred everyone has for him. Probably makes him want to keep the team more.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

For those who don't know how to get past the NY Times paywall (hint: removethepaywall.com)   Here are some relevant quotes from this idiot (that's right I said it)

Crying Poor

While the Braves have nine players signed beyond 2024, the Orioles have none. They will not spend more without making more.

“I don’t think you should run losses,” Angelos said. “I think you should live within your means and within your market.”

The Orioles’ $70 million payroll this season ranks 28th of the 30 teams. It is largely a function of the players’ lack of service time, which limits their earning power in the peculiar economy of baseball. Angelos has a lot of qualms with that system: “The hardest thing to do in sports is be a small-market team in baseball and be competitive, because everything is stacked against you — everything,” he said. And he conceded that it might not be feasible for his popular young core to be career Orioles like Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer and Cal Ripken Jr.

Without major changes, he sees only one way the team could retain all of its young stars.

“We’re going to have to raise the prices here — dramatically,” he said.

Lack of self awareness.  How dare he bring up the financials on National Spumoni Day?  😡

“Well, that’s a good question,” Angelos said. “But let’s say we sat down and showed you the financials for the Orioles. You will quickly see that when people talk about giving this player $200 million, that player $150 million, we would be so financially underwater that you’d have to raise the prices massively. Now, are people going to come and pay that? I don’t know if we’re at the limit, to your point. I don’t know if we’re in equilibrium elasticity, supply and demand. Maybe we are. But really that’s just one team. What I’m really trying to think about is macro.”

Some damage control on Kevin Brown

Angelos said the team was reviewing the internal processes that resulted in discipline for the broadcaster, Kevin Brown, who merely pointed out on air that the Orioles used to struggle mightily in road games against the Tampa Bay Rays. Angelos said he hoped that Brown would remain with the team for a long time. “Nothing like that is going to happen again,” he added. “It shouldn’t have happened once.”

Somehow I don't think the hardest thing to do in sports is to be a small market MLB team.

I don't think it's even close.

High School teams with a lack of funding and infrastructure have it harder.

College Football teams that have to schedule road games against Michigan to pay for the program have it harder.

Independent minor league teams have it harder.

MLB still has a ton of revenue sharing.

• Upvote 2

He's right that it's not reasonable to expect the team to operate at a loss.

It's also not reasonable to believe that this club is anywhere close to taking a loss as-constructed.

The biggest red flag here is that he keeps giving these interviews. He really believes he can explain things away and that any good will come of it.

He's not a smart man

4 minutes ago, vab said:

Elias can probably keep this thing going by trading pieces of this young core at the right time and continuing to stock the talent pipeline that he has built. The question is would he want to stick around for that. 

Tampa has been pretty successful with this business model.    And...unless Elias has a piece of ownership, I don't see him sticking around very long.   Hopefully, there will be a line of succession where someone else can step in and continue doing what Elias has been doing.