John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

14 minutes ago, Malike said:

The Braves really did a great job of getting people to sign long-term for way under market value. Which one of our guys takes any of these deals? The only one that might end up meh, is having to pay Olson until he's 37 years old. I'd bet my house that Gunnar wouldn't sign a 10-year deal at 22 years old for 200M, he's getting a 400+M contract at 27 or 28.

image.thumb.png.5ae4d8ad55d3ee0319ef094d5a2e4f58.png

Riley is probably about market value.  Acuna is an absolute steal.  Strider was a bit of a risk but likely a steal.  Murphy was probably about market but turned into a steal.  Olson similarly was market and is now probably a steal.  But I don't know if Gunnar would even sign a J-Rod type deal.  

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He said they won't be able to keep everyone together.  He didn't say they wouldn't extend anyone.  Now if Gunnar et al. is willing to take an Acuna style deal and we aren't doing that, I will be pissed.  In the meantime, none of us have any idea what any of the young players are willing to take.  Moreover, many wouldn't want to sign Adley to a long term deal due to age at completion. 

Again, I don't like Angelos, but I do think some of this is a bit of an overreaction.  We also don't know what happens if Camden Yards starts to draw much better.  Maybe that would provide some room for some of the young guys.  Finally, if the team is close to a championship, don't think that hubris might encourage spending before Georgia dies so that they can win a championship.

Why should any player have to “take” anything? Angelos is certainly stuffing his pockets with cash. Any money he doesn’t reinvest in the team goes straight to building up his billion dollar nest egg. 

I am not going to put this on Gunnar or any other player to take less in so that Angelos can have more, when they will never have a fraction of what he has/will have.

You can choose to hold out hope that Angelos will spend. But as for me, I have seen enough. A wise saying goes “when people show you who they are believe them”.

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Riley is probably about market value.  Acuna is an absolute steal.  Strider was a bit of a risk but likely a steal.  Murphy was probably about market but turned into a steal.  Olson similarly was market and is now probably a steal.  But I don't know if Gunnar would even sign a J-Rod type deal.  

Riley is coming off back-to-back 6+ win seasons, he's a steal at 21M per year. I'm sure Henderson wouldn't touch that contract, likely not even the JRod one.

At John Angelos’ request, Maryland officials considered filing antitrust suit against MLB to aid Orioles during MASN dispute

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-angelos-orioles-mlb-masn-suit-20230821-jhbj7u3fcrhebgybiiizkz6wve-story.html

I will throw this in this thread.  This is in the Sun that Angelos asked the State of MD to sue baseball to aid him in the MASN suit.  I will give him this he has big kahones.  I give the state credit for not swatting at that hornets nest.  We could be know as the state that tried to take its NFL team by eminent domain and sue Baseball in an antitrust suit.  

Edited by accinfo

10 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Why should any player have to “take” anything? Angelos is certainly stuffing his pockets with cash. Any money he doesn’t reinvest in the team goes straight to building up his billion dollar nest egg. 

I am not going to put this on Gunnar or any other player to take less in so that Angelos can have more, when they will never have a fraction of what he has/will have.

You can choose to hold out hope that Angelos will spend. But as for me, I have seen enough. A wise saying goes “when people show you who they are believe them”.

Your assumption is that the young players are willing to take a number that you would think is reasonable given the risk and the arbitration years being bought out.  Surely, you would agree that there are numbers that you would find too much of a risk for a Henderson, e.g.

Keep hearing about what John wants to do outside the stadium but have heard little about improvements in the stadium. It needs some improvements. Scoreboard and out of town scoreboard need upgrades. Some toilets don't work and some sinks continuously run. Some seats are misaligned, so if you are tall and sit behind the misaligned seat good luck. Some seats where the rows become bigger have the cupholders in the middle of your seat. Some seats don't face the pitchers mound and some lower concouse seats under the overhang ,you can't see fly balls. But don't hear about this but how many restaurants and other revenue products for the club they can put into the stadium.

24 minutes ago, baltfan said:

No they didn't.  They made a trade for a cheaper player ($21mm AAV vs $27mm AAV) over a longer period of time.  

The Braves offered Freeman 6 yr/$140mm. Freeman countered higher and the Braves walked away. They promptly traded for Olson and gave him an 8 yr/$168mm extension. The Braves wanted to keep Freeman, couldn't agree on terms, pivoted and reallocated that budget to Olson. My point is that the Braves were fiscally disciplined, but they weren't trying to be cheap. I'm not sure what you're pushing back on here.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, accinfo said:

At John Angelos’ request, Maryland officials considered filing antitrust suit against MLB to aid Orioles during MASN dispute

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-angelos-orioles-mlb-masn-suit-20230821-jhbj7u3fcrhebgybiiizkz6wve-story.html

I will throw this in this thread.  This is in the Sun that Angelos asked the State of MD to sue baseball to aid him in the MASN suit.  I will give him this he has big kahones.  I give the state credit for not swatting at that hornets nest.  We could be know as the state that tried to take its NFL team by eminent domain and sue Baseball in an antitrust suit.  

Baltimore City actually filed an amicus brief during the MASN trial stating that if they ruled against the Orioles ,the franchise might not be viable.

Filing in MASN case questions Orioles’ ‘long-term viability’ in Baltimore, but mayor ‘confident’ of club’s commitment
https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-baltimore-nationals-20230209-jypny533ojekrlwcwyfffvdvtu-story.html

8 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Your assumption is that the young players are willing to take a number that you would think is reasonable given the risk and the arbitration years being bought out.  Surely, you would agree that there are numbers that you would find too much of a risk for a Henderson, e.g.

I think that may be your assumption. I never expressed that. Good orgs lock up good elite young talent regardless of the sport. Bad orgs make excuses and complain about the costs/risks.

I expect Henderson, Holliday, etc to ask for market deals, which I am very confident that the O’s under Angelos will balk at paying.

It won’t be these current crop of players who are at fault when they are not retained just as it was not Machado’s fault. And I can’t entertain reasonable discussions looking to blame them or lay fault at their feet.

So this is where I bow out.

Going to an Oriole game at Camden Yards is not as cheap as it once was. A regular hot dog is the highest in MLB and a beer is tied for second in MLB. A box of popcorn is $8.00  Tickets in the first few rows of box seats are $115.00 and over depending on the team . I thought he said he wants to keep prices affordable in a city like Baltimore.  We are not NY.

“We’re going to have to raise the prices here — dramatically,” Angelos told The Times in terms of what he saw as the only way for the Orioles to retain their collection of young stars.

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Going to an Oriole game at Camden Yards is not as cheap as it once was. A regular hot dog is the highest in MLB and a beer is tied for second in MLB. A box of popcorn is $8.00  Tickets in the first few rows of box seats are $115.00 and over depending on the team . I thought he said he wants to keep prices affordable in a city like Baltimore.  We are not NY.

“We’re going to have to raise the prices here — dramatically,” Angelos told The Times in terms of what he saw as the only way for the Orioles to retain their collection of young stars.

So FCI ranks the Orioles 13th highest. That is with the second lowest payroll. So when he says dramatically are we striving for #1?