Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

Personally, I think the time of year / where we are in the season is playing a big role in this. If the team can get a few effective innings out of his arm during the playoffs before it blows up, that's great. I'm sure they'd test him out in a very low-leverage situation for 2-3 appearances to see if he can handle any live action at all, then put him back in the closer role or shut him down based on results. Either way, if he needs TJ surgery, 2024 is completely out the window whether he gets it done now, or in October or November. After that, I'd assume that ST 2025 should be a normal spring for him. Just a hunch on my part.

Yup.  Was going to post the same thing.

3 hours ago, jcaponio said:

I know nothing about UCL injuries. If it was torn, why would they have him doing long toss? Is it possible to pitch with a partial tear?

Gonsolin pitched with a strain/partial tear until finally being shut down. He was not as effective as usual but did keep pitching a while. Could be a comp for what we might expect. All we need is about three good weeks.

From Roch:

Orioles closer Félix Bautista played catch again today, increasing the distance on flat ground during his second session after a brief pause.

The club is downplaying the significance of it.

Bautista also threw in Anaheim while on the injured list with discomfort in his right elbow, described only as a “right UCL injury.”

“We’re going to see how he feels,” said manager Brandon Hyde. “We’re just kind of monitoring it day-to-day. It was just kind of a see how he feels, play a little catch today.”

Asked if Bautista throwing is a good sign, Hyde said, “I wouldn’t put any emphasis positive or negative about it. He was playing a little bit of catch, kind of seeing how he feels today.

“He played catch a couple days ago in Anaheim, but like I said, I wouldn’t put any stock into it.”

2 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

So Jason Dominguez has torn UCL but it happened just recently and they went and got tests done and got the results back very fast.  What does that tell us about why we are not hearing anything about Bautista almost 2 weeks from when it happened.  

Same as before.

Some tears are obviously going to require surgery and some aren't.

17 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

So Jason Dominguez has torn UCL but it happened just recently and they went and got tests done and got the results back very fast.  What does that tell us about why we are not hearing anything about Bautista almost 2 weeks from when it happened.  

I'd interpret as it's not 100% Bautista needs surgery. If it was a tear requiring surgery there's no reason to delay the surgery given the lengthy recovery time.

Bautista was throwing the ball over the weekend, so it seems there's a slight chance his season isn't over or at a minimum surgery might not be required.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

I can't imagine the Orioles havent already ordered the imaging on his elbow and don't have the results.  There is no way they would let him throw if they didn't know.  My guess is he has a partial tear and the Orioles may be trying to see if they can slip him on to the post season roster to see if they can get another 7-8 innings out of him this year before off season surgery.  He is most certainly done for the regular season.  My guess is he will try to throw off of flat ground and then potentially off a mound in 2 weeks time.  If he can throw strikes, they will put him on the post season roster.  But I'd imagine he will be getting UCL reconstruction quickly after that decision has been made.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, paulcoates said:

I can't imagine the Orioles havent already ordered the imaging on his elbow and don't have the results.  There is no way they would let him throw if they didn't know.  My guess is he has a partial tear and the Orioles may be trying to see if they can slip him on to the post season roster to see if they can get another 7-8 innings out of him this year before off season surgery.  He is most certainly done for the regular season.  My guess is he will try to throw off of flat ground and then potentially off a mound in 2 weeks time.  If he can throw strikes, they will put him on the post season roster.  But I'd imagine he will be getting UCL reconstruction quickly after that decision has been made.

I think this is exactly what is happening.

3 hours ago, paulcoates said:

If it's a low-grade tear they might try for PRP once the O's are bounced from the playoffs (or win the WS) and see where he's at in 2 months, then cut him open if he's not where he needs to be.  He'd still get well over a year to recover by opening day 2025.

PRP for low-grade tears has about a 60% success rate.  It's probably worth a shot because it would mean he doesn't miss 2024.

Yeah I just don't know.  Having this exact same injury (plus a bone chip in the elbow where the tendon pulled a chunk of bone off the main bone) it is just an extremely painful injury.

After the initial swelling and soreness subsides....you can actually throw and do things underhanded like lifting weights or bowling, but anything over hand aggravates it in a matter of a few throws or even in a few seconds.  I don't see how it will be physically possible for him to throw overhanded  AND throw at a velocity that he was accustomed to.  95 to 100 MPH.

Having had this injury it just seems impossible to me.  As I said I was able to keep working out and bowling (I bowl professionally) but anything remotely overhand was excruciating. 

Here was my elbow after it went to hell a couple of years ago.  The chip looks worse than it is.  I have had it since I was 20 and am used to the pain.  The injury that hurt more was when the UCL went out and caused this.....

Edit....can anyone get the pic to work below?  You can click on the link and go to the pic but for the life of me I cannot get it to post on here.

https://ibb.co/rZxZmcT

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Here was my elbow after it went to hell a couple of years ago.  The chip looks worse than it is.  I have had it since I was 20 and am used to the pain.  The injury that hurt more was when the UCL went out and caused this.....

Edit....can anyone get the pic to work below?  You can click on the link and go to the pic but for the life of me I cannot get it to post on here.

https://ibb.co/rZxZmcT

Here is my elbow after blowing out the UCL.  It took me about 2 months to be able to lift weights again and to start bowling once more.  I am about a 225 average and luckily anything underhand is fine.  Overhand sports like serving a tennis ball or throwing anything is still basically impossible.  I did this 2 years ago.

Have not had surgery.

https://ibb.co/VBs0v0f

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Here is my elbow after blowing out the UCL.  It took me about 2 months to be able to lift weights again and to start bowling once more.  I am about a 225 average and luckily anything underhand is fine.  Overhand sports like serving a tennis ball or throwing anything is still basically impossible.  I did this 2 years ago.

Have not had surgery.

https://ibb.co/VBs0v0f

Did you ever bowl against the Rubberman or the Amish guy from Kingpin?