Trade chips replaced in-house = Salary Relief

emmett16

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Your 2024 OD, per what you have said, is largely the team that is here right now or guys that have already been on the team this year like Ortiz and Cowser.

That is doing nothing. Calling guys up at some point is doing something but you also have to have room for them(which you are not making because you aren’t making any moves) and those guys have to be healthy and performing which will likely be the case for Holliday but far from a certainty for someone like McDermott.

Your plan is to do nothing except rely 100% on what is here. There is zippy chance Elias will do that. He has yet to do that since he has been here. 

We might see a waiver wire backup CF.  And I am sure he will add depth at AAA.  But why go outside to get talent when the team is winning around 100 games and there are players that need to be promoted and/or given playing time?

As far as making room I have already posted that Gibson, Flaherty, Frazier, Hicks, Givens, McKenna, Gillaspie and Akin will probably not be on the 40 man roster next season.

Edited by wildcard

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, you go get the best pitcher you can get on a 3 year deal (maybe you go 4 for the right guy but I would prefer not to) or you guy get a very good cost controlled guy and use your positional assets that you really need to start trading to get one.

I don’t care which you do but you really need to do one of them.

Why not just pick up a rental in June/July if we need one? 

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We might see a waiver wire backup CF.  And I am sure he will add depth at AAA.  But why go outside to get talent when the team is winning around 100 games and there are players that need to be promoted and/or given playing time?

As far as making room I have already posted that Gibson, Flaherty, Frazier, Hicks, Givens, NcKenna, Gillaspie and Akin will probably not be on the 40 man roster next season.

Lol…that MEANS NoTHING!!!!!

My god, you are not this dense.

Right now, the team has 6 starters. 2 of them are gone but Means, who will be here soon, replaces one on them And we now have 5 starters..all of whom who are here now. You still have, by your words, Wells (been here and will be back soon), Hall (here now) and McDermott who we shouldn’t even be talking about yet. So, by YOuR WORDS, we are doing NOTHiNG with the rotation. It is absolutely status quo. Just because players are gone, doesn’t mean we made room. The room is already here ffs!

Frazier is already sparingly seeing the field. 

The idea that you even mention Givens shows how much of a joke (ie parody)you and these posts are.

You will likely say, well Ortiz is up next year. Ok great. But you also said Holliday will be so, since you didn’t make any moves, you now have 4 players for 3 spots and all of them are high end everyday players it appears. So are guys just sitting the bench I assume?  What happens to Urias? 

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Why not just pick up a rental in June/July if we need one? 

Who says you are in the race then? Who says there is a real difference maker available?

I would rather get someone that helps for 30 starts, not 10.

This idea that we should just do nothing is mind boggling stupid to me. I just don’t get the people that want to sit on their hands for a team  that just lost arguably their team MVP and has definite issues that can’t just be assumed will be fine in 2024.  Just don’t get it.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol…that MEANS NoTHING!!!!!

My god, you are not this dense.

Right now, the team has 6 starters. 2 of them are gone but Means, who will be here soon, replaces one on them And we now have 5 starters..all of whom who are here now. You still have, by your words, Wells (been here and will be back soon), Hall (here now) and McDermott who we shouldn’t even be talking about yet. So, by YOuR WORDS, we are doing NOTHiNG with the rotation. It is absolutely status quo. Just because players are gone, doesn’t mean we made room. The room is already here ffs!

Frazier is already sparingly seeing the field. 

The idea that you even mention Givens shows how much of a joke (ie parody)you and these posts are.

You will likely say, well Ortiz is up next year. Ok great. But you also said Holliday will be so, since you didn’t make any moves, you now have 4 players for 3 spots and all of them are high end everyday players it appears. So are guys just sitting the bench I assume?  What happens to Urias? 

The O's are still paying Givens as far as I know.  

There will be injuries and non performance.   Having 4 players for 3 positions is a good thing.  Certainly means they don't need to go outside  and get someone else.

Urias is a excellent fielding platoon 3B.   If someone wants his job they have to beat him out.  That will play out during the season.

Oh and I missed a guy that will probably not be on the 40 man roster next year. Stowers probably gets traded this off season.

Edited by wildcard

I would not be inclined to spend money on free agent position players given the 2024 crop and our own prospects.  But there are a number of pitching options, both starters and reliever options that the Orioles can and should target.  Also, I would love to see Kjerstad up to start next year, but I’m not thrilled with an all left handed outfield.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

I would not be inclined to spend money on free agent position players given the 2024 crop and our own prospects.  But there are a number of pitching options, both starters and reliever options that the Orioles can and should target.  Also, I would love to see Kjerstad up to start next year, but I’m not thrilled with an all left handed outfield.

But the wall!!!!  :)

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But the wall!!!!  :)

The one in left field or the one your banging your head against?  If the first, people make way to much out of the wall.  I'd rather have a good lefty than a bad righty hitter, but I'd really like a few good righty hitters too.  If the second, you're on your own.

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Who says you are in the race then? Who says there is a real difference maker available?

This idea that we should just do nothing is mind boggling stupid to me. I just don’t get the people that want to sit on their hands for a team  that just lost arguably their team MVP and has definite issues that can’t just be assumed will be fine in 2024.  Just don’t get it.

Come on. This is hyperbole. I don’t think folks are saying “do nothing.” I could use  the same logic to say that people on here who want to waste money or trade prospects for average pitchers is mind boggling. People are entitled to their opinions. Just because you have a different opinion doesn’t mean that other’s opinions are a joke. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

If you think one guy makes a difference then we should expect to be in it. Would be pretty epic to go from 95-100 wins to no contending, especially for the type of young team we have. If we aren't in the race then I'd be glad we didn't spend the money. I dont want to do nothing but I don't want to get locked into a long term contract without an obvious need. The track record of pitchers on 4-5 year deals is not good. That being said I would be interested in Ohtani if he might bet on himself for a two year deal. Too good of an opportunity to pass up. But I am not going to approach the market as if we need a starter.

13 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Come on. This is hyperbole. I don’t think folks are saying “do nothing.” I could use  the same logic to say that people on here who want to waste money or trade prospects for average pitchers is mind boggling. People are entitled to their opinions. Just because you have a different opinion doesn’t mean that other’s opinions are a joke. 

That is pretty much his schtick. I don't expect it to change.

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

One year contracts to fill holes.  Not much more.

I don’t assume that Elias will always behave exactly as he has to date.  He might, he might not.  Depends on the needs of the team and how he balances long term vs. short term at any given time.  But I’ll say this: I don’t really care how little he spends so long as he puts a consistent winner with a decent shot at going deep into the playoffs on the field.  I do think there is something to be said for not putting a lot of resources into purchasing multiple years in which a player is likely to be declining.  

40 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Wildcard is 100% saying do nothing. He 100% wants to use only what is here.

You said you wouldn’t bring in any starter from outside the org because you don’t feel it’s worth the risk.