Who plays the game the right way...?

Moose Milligan

Isn't Davy famous about complaining to Earl about his playing time?
Is that a bad thing? I'd think Earl was a bit annoyed but liked the fact that Davy wanted to play.
Why? Because he hit quite a few batters, and loved to talk about how he hit every 4th batter when he was a national TV announcer?
No. Because he was a tremendous competitor.
What did Munson do right/better than anyone else? I remember talk of him being a jerk, too, and I think a lot of guys who die in mid-career get a obituary boost that downplays their negatives.
He might have been a jerk but his teammates loved him and he was as tough as any catcher I have ever seen.

Is that a bad thing? I'd think Earl was a bit annoyed but liked the fact that Davy wanted to play.

I thought that one of the main attributes of a "right way" player was shutting his mouth and accepting whatever role he's given. Millar is just the latest example of someone who took flak for mentioning that he didn't sign on to be a part-time player. Isn't Chris Gomez praised for his ability to sit quietly on the bench for weeks on end?

I thought that one of the main attributes of a "right way" player was shutting his mouth and accepting whatever role he's given. Millar is just the latest example of someone who took flak for mentioning that he didn't sign on to be a part-time player. Isn't Chris Gomez praised for his ability to sit quietly on the bench for weeks on end?

I just don't see it that way. I never thought Davy's desire to play and his willingness to express his desire effected the team negatively or was an attempt to undermine Earl's authority. Do you see it differently?

I just don't see it that way. I never thought Davy's desire to play and his willingness to express his desire effected the team negatively or was an attempt to undermine Earl's authority. Do you see it differently?

I don't know, I was like two years old when Davy left town. I was just recalling his *****ly nature that seemed to be at odds with this mythical idea of playing the game the right way. Nowadays saying you're disappointed playing for a team that wins 72 games every year seems to be a hanging offense.

Edit: P-r-i-c-k-l-y got censored? Did something change in the week I was gone?

Mentioned earlier, but I'll say it again, Chris Gomez. Professional, does what he is asked. Hes a great guy and is always ready to play.

On a side note, am I the only one that seems to look "down" on a player when they have some big contract fiasco? I feel this way about a lot of Boras's clients, especially Pudge Rodriguez a couple of seasons ago. The money end of baseball sometimes makes me look at players who might be "playing the game right" differently.

Archived