Could our front office get poached this winter?

Frobby

No, I’m not necessarily talking about Elias.  I’m thinking about Sig Mejdal, Eve Rosenbaum, Matt Blood and Brad Ciolek.  Seems to me any of those would be candidates for an open GM job this winter.  

I sort of have the impression that Sig doesn’t aspire to be a GM and is happy staying in his lane, but you never know.  

I am confident that I read somewhere that Sig has no aspirations of running the show. He prefers the process of rebuilding an org. I think if the O’s were to win the WS this year, the possibility of him moving onto another org to take on another rebuild would increase. That is, of course if he and the org determined that the rebuild was complete. At least this is the information that I’ve read and heard straight from Sig’s mouth in various interviews. He simply enjoys and prefers the process.

I can’t say much for the others because I don’t know as much about them. I think when you win the most games in your league, you almost have to expect to lose valuable people in their own pursuit or career advancement. So, probably. 

Edited by banks703

Of course I hope not, but I think we should expect some departures over the next few seasons. Not only because we’re having success now at the ML level and folks get offers they can’t refuse to take the next step in their career path, but also because of the crappy ownership we have. They will either run them off or won’t retain the ones they should due to incompetence. 

You can't expect a small-market team to retain talented executives, unless it raises ticket prizes. (Kind of like TV announcers.) Those people just get too expensive, especially when they get the crazy idea that they're responsible for a team's success. Some of them probably make in a year as much as 10 percent of what John Angelos pays himself.  

3 hours ago, banks703 said:

I am confident that I read somewhere that Sig has no aspirations of running the show. He prefers the process of rebuilding an org. I think if the O’s were to win the WS this year, the possibility of him moving onto another org to take on another rebuild would increase. That is, of course if he and the org determined that the rebuild was complete. At least this is the information that I’ve read and heard straight from Sig’s mouth in various interviews. He simply enjoys and prefers the process.

I can’t say much for the others because I don’t know as much about them. I think when you win the most games in your league, you almost have to expect to lose valuable people in their own pursuit or career advancement. So, probably. 

Yeah, that's my impression of Sig too.  If/when he leaves, it won't be for a GM role.

My Magic 8 ball said Matt Blood is the first one poached.  

• Upvote 1

I get the impression Eve enjoys being part of that triad that makes decisions for the org.  What she described in a members’ Q&A last season was as if they all feed off each other, and it sounded almost invigorating to her.  If another org had the same approach she might consider, but I really think she enjoys that synergy here.

Kinda like the Pearson-Specter-Ross triad, you kept thinking it would break up but always came back together. 

• 1 month later...