This could be my favorite O's team ever....

DocJJ

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

This is the most fun season I can think of.   Winning is fun.  Winning with young players and cast offs is fun.   Winning with a team expected by many to be a 500ish team is fun.    Winning at the ML level while having a top farm system is fun.   

All of this. 

I am loving this team as well. The young core with off the charts likeability reminds me of '89. The talent level and consistent winning reminds me of '97. And the front office strategy brings back the Oriole Way of '83 and before. Fortunately we don't have to pick one but if we did this team certainly has it all. 

This has been an exciting season for sure. As others have mentioned though, life keeps coming at you and it's hard to invest the same amount of time and energy as I could before. 

Last year was kinda special even though they fell short. Maybe because the bottom was so low leading up to it.

2012 was probably as good as it will get for me. I was mid 30's and I felt like I knew each lineup in baseball... much more engaged at that time. Either way, I'm enjoying this as much as possible.

I was born in 75 so I started really following in the early 80's and don't have any of those great 60's or 70's teams from which to choose.  82 was a heartbreaker but 83 was glorious.  I think that 97 team was the best O's team since the early 80's.  The top of that lineup was something to watch.  The best part about this year's team is that it is both unexpected (to the degree they are winning; I was just hoping for a shot at a wildcard) and really feels like just the start of something special.  

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, it may be the best defensive O’s team you’ve seen, depending on when you really started watching as a kid, but it’s not nearly the best one I’ve seen.  The teams with Brooks. Belanger, Grich and Blair were the best.  And don’t sleep on the 2013 team, when Manny won the Platinum Glove and Hardy and Jones both won Gold Gloves.  That team was spectacular  on defense.

Now  is it the most fun team?   Like I said recently, experiencing a really fun year as it’s happening is better than remembering a past fun team.   So, I’m not going to try to compare them, I’m just going to enjoy what we’ve got while we’ve got it.

This!!

I was 4 in 1966, so no recollection there, but the 1970-1971 O's gave me a lot to be excited about, and the year (I ashamed to say I can't say for sure which one), where we seemed to have a different guy hit a late inning home run to put us in the lead or to win the game.  1979 comes to mind.......Orioles Magic.  Winning does that to you.

14 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

yes sir....up 2-0 after playing the first two in Pittsburgh, and came home and lost the first two before winning the third and going up to Pittsburgh to lose in games 6 and 7.

No. After winning the first two, we lost the next three, won game 6 and lost game 7.   We won game 6 on a brilliant dash around the bases by 36-year old Frank Robinson, who went 1st to 3rd on a sharp single, then scored on a shallow fly ball  where he nearly flipped Pirates’ catcher Manny Sanguillen as Sanguillen left his feet to catch a high throw home while blocking home plate.  It’s my last memory of Frank as an Oriole, still doing anything to win a game.  I have no doubt that if Sanguillen hadn’t left his feet, Frank would have sent him flying into the stands.  

Edited by Frobby