Please stop pitching Cano in the ninth

banks703

12 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Right.  At least one was the ghost runner and another was the McKenna drop. I have it in my head that there BS were not on Felix but I don’t remember exactly why for the third. 

Extra inning blown saves as well…That is not a real stat anymore because extra innings baseball isn’t real baseball.

Edited by Sports Guy

33 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

What matchups? Righties are OPSing .566 off him. Lefties are at .688. Sure, he's worse against lefties, but .688 is pretty good. Like, maybe I'd consider Hall or Coulomb over him if three out of the four next batters were lefties, but it's not like lefties are his kryptonite. There are probably somewhere between one and three dozen relief pitchers in the world you could make a case are better than Yennier Cano this year. If Cano needs to be matchup-ed then so does just about every reliever in the sport.

I was a little surprised to see this. His splits were way more extreme until recently. He has been getting hit hard lately by RHB. I want to say his RHB OPS was in the 400's not too long ago. Is that because he has all of a sudden gotten worse vs RHB, or is it because he is being used against RHB and all of a sudden he is worse overall? I don't think the solution is to pitch him regardless of matchups. 

7 hours ago, banks703 said:

@Tony-OH do you feel a sense of stubbornness from management with certain moves? What I mean is, we all have seen Flaherty wildly underperform. We’ve seen Jorge struggle. We’ve seen others struggle but management has been slow to respond/react even though we as spectators can clearly see that certain guys just aren’t doing enough. It seems to me that they are slow to move but also that it’s (in the case with Flaherty) almost like they refuse to concede a bad move.

I am on record many times praising the Flaherty trade but I am the first to admit that he really has not worked out for the O’s. Essentially they chose Flaherty over Irvin (which I think was the wrong choice) so it almost feels like they will die on these hills, like ‘well, even though I absolutely despise this expensive vacuum, I’m not throwing it out to get a new one because I spent all this money on this one so I’ll just deal with it being terrible’

I do at times. Elias was stubborn with Odor and then with the awful and unnecessary acquisition of Jesús Aguilar. 

Obviously the success this year makes it hard to nitpick too much, but his first offseason and first trade deadline in a season where the Orioles were expected to compete were not very good. 

I really wanted a top relief pitcher at the trade deadline and was a bit disappointed they did not get one. When Bautista went down, it really hurt more than it would had he gone out and gotten a guy. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Cionel may become the closer 

I still suggest that it should come down to the matchups. Cano has his place but I am not comfortable anointing him the 9th inning guy no matter what like it seems they attempted to do with him when Felix went down. 

Without Felix, I just want them to match up. If the data suggests that Cano is the better option then go with Cano. If it suggests that Cionel, Danny, Fuji, etc is the better option then go with the data.

What I don’t want them to do is to commit Cano to the ninth (or save situation) simply because he’s Cano and they have titled him The Closer. I love what Hyde did last night, matching up Cano before Cionel. That is what I would like to see going forward.

11 hours ago, banks703 said:

Without Felix, I just want them to match up. If the data suggests that Cano is the better option then go with Cano. If it suggests that Cionel, Danny, Fuji, etc is the better option then go with the data.

What I don’t want them to do is to commit Cano to the ninth (or save situation) simply because he’s Cano and they have titled him The Closer. I love what Hyde did last night, matching up Cano before Cionel. That is what I would like to see going forward.

I don’t think it’s the first time Hyde has played it that way, so I expect to see more of that in the playoffs.  

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Cano looked like the early season Cano tonight..impossible to hit. 

I had little confidence when he came in but he was vintage Cano tonight.  Almost every pitch at the knees or below with tons of sink.   He was unhittable tonight.